Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872981 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1680 on: January 24, 2009, 10:13:17 »
pruned my wisteria before breakfast (got to keep busy now I've stopped smoking)  ;D
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1681 on: January 25, 2009, 19:22:29 »
Bought some onions and sowed some cauli AYR.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1682 on: January 25, 2009, 19:50:51 »
Nowt today, but yesterday I managed to find my parsnips under the heap of clay type mud the mender of the water cystern thingy left on my plot. Dug up some carrots too and picked sprouts. It was so lovely and peaceful there I wanted to stay but couldn't. Next week I'll stay all day come hell or high water, plenty to do. ;D
Pleased to see the garlic up. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #1683 on: January 25, 2009, 20:30:56 »
Planted asparagus crowns, dug up parsnips and carrots and picked sprouts and sprouting brocolli. Very muddy and not my fav time of year but good to have plenty of veg to pic. Big container of carrot soup now ready for freezer.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #1684 on: January 25, 2009, 20:34:45 »
moved 3 gooseberry bushes and gave another three away,now wondering what to put in their (very shaded) place...weeded weeded weeded and did a lot of nattering,a few bits of sec work, and ate the sandwiches i pilfered from the NSALG i had just been to.a lovely sunny dry day,lots of folk out on their plots,all excited with whats around the corner!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1685 on: January 25, 2009, 20:39:22 »
Dug some leeks and picked some sprouts (best season ever) gave away some cabbage sprouts and leeks to some keen newbies. Did some rough digging, to get couch out.. Put all the spuds to chit. Garlic and Broad Beans through but no sign of any PSB yet Womble!!  :)

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #1686 on: January 25, 2009, 20:40:57 »
found some garlic segments, that seemed to have got scat in a corner.
they had sprouted so I poked them in amongst my others, who knows whether they'll be any good or not. Looked like it was maybe a bulb from last summer that got dropped maybe?? segs were small.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #1687 on: January 25, 2009, 23:13:25 »
Dug some leeks and picked some sprouts (best season ever) gave away some cabbage sprouts and leeks to some keen newbies. Did some rough digging, to get couch out.. Put all the spuds to chit. Garlic and Broad Beans through but no sign of any PSB yet Womble!!  :)
I think my sprouting brocolli is summer one that never stopped and seems to be going on and on. I don't think it's PSB but I've lost track though!!!  ::) ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #1688 on: January 26, 2009, 17:19:33 »
Spent three hours hacking back the rose 'Francis Lester' then cutting the resultant thorny mound into small bits for my green bin.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1689 on: January 26, 2009, 17:42:45 »
Spent the day at my RHS course at Capel Manor College. The "practical" on this pleasantly sunny afternoon involved preparing a seed bed, marking it out with sand and sowing "hardy Annuals", then doing similar with sowing a lawn. Not only is it the wrong time of year to do this; the ground was sodden so we could have damaged the soil and the "hardy annuals" were old grass seeds. Last week we watched a tutor prune shrub roses at the wrong time of year (rather badly)! It's all because the course is geared towards what's in the exam, not what makes sense in horticultural terms.  Ridiculous!
Keep Calm and Carry On

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1690 on: January 26, 2009, 17:45:12 »
sowed leeks, lettuce, sweet peas and lots of different flower seeds for the plant sale  ;D
transplanted tomatoes and parsley  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #1691 on: January 26, 2009, 17:48:16 »
Spent the day at my RHS course at Capel Manor College. The "practical" on this pleasantly sunny afternoon involved preparing a seed bed, marking it out with sand and sowing "hardy Annuals", then doing similar with sowing a lawn. Not only is it the wrong time of year to do this; the ground was sodden so we could have damaged the soil and the "hardy annuals" were old grass seeds. Last week we watched a tutor prune shrub roses at the wrong time of year (rather badly)! It's all because the course is geared towards what's in the exam, not what makes sense in horticultural terms.  Ridiculous!
what level are you on? (rhs that is)  the gardening year and the academic one do not 'line up' naturally, do they?? Tony, (mature hortic student) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #1692 on: January 26, 2009, 18:26:15 »
what level are you on? (rhs that is)  the gardening year and the academic one do not 'line up' naturally, do they?? Tony, (mature hortic student) ;)

I'm just doing the Level 2, Tony. It's true that the academic year and horticultural year don't line up naturally, but trampling all over wet soil and pruning roses in a way that could cause frost damage does not make much sense, does it?  This afternoon would have been a great day to learn about fruit tree pruning, but that does not fit the course timetable.
Keep Calm and Carry On

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #1693 on: January 26, 2009, 20:47:44 »
I think all colleges have this problem with timing of horticultural operations vs timing of exams!
I think it's even worse if you are taking evening classes  ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #1694 on: January 26, 2009, 23:51:54 »
I think all colleges have this problem with timing of horticultural operations vs timing of exams!
I think it's even worse if you are taking evening classes  ;D ;D ;D
Yes, I am being terribly unfair. It's just that there is so much that I would have much preferred to have been doing on the allotment or in the garden this afternoon.  ;D ;D ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1695 on: January 27, 2009, 19:02:30 »
planted lots of daffodil/narcissi around the bath pond, then some primulas, gladioli and a yucca..not in the boggy bit, in the drier soil behind...took 164 carnation cuttings and cleared out the big, communal greenhouse, all worn out now  ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #1696 on: January 27, 2009, 19:22:57 »

Didn't sow or plant, just ' levered ' the weeds out from last year --- shame !      :-\

Ooh,and cleared out next doors cat's  ' latrine ' --  she is giving me heartache !

Very old and deaf, she has used this garden for her  ' toilet '  many years before we arrived.
     Have tolerated her  ' visits'  till now and now I need to have our garden back.

She is quite sweet, looks you in the eye and says hello - Put a roll of chick wire over the gap,
     no problem - shoved it aside and ' presented ' in my newly dug patch !

That is what I have done in the garden today !    Tomrrow --  who knows ,     :D

floss x
Hertfordshire,   south east England

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #1697 on: January 27, 2009, 20:05:20 »
Done my good deed for the day.  The previous owner of my new plot lives directly behind.  Her sons and grandson have removed 2 very old hacked about trees, old concrete posts and a very wobbly post and rail fence. Replaced it with a new 6 ft fence. Shame its so high as she's a really nice lady and I enjoyed our chats. To be fair she did ask if they could leave it on my side to be burnt. They still have to put a half panel in. She poked her round to see if I would like a coffee.  Said grandson was staying, so he came and help to take it all to the tip. 
Pruned the apple tree that's not been touched for years.  Still trying to pluck up courage to tackle 3 very scruffy goo's Gog bushes.  If the weathers OK tomorrow hoping to clean out the green house I've inherited. Might have a go at bushes :P :P :P

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1698 on: January 27, 2009, 21:58:46 »
Well finally did some thing in the garden for the first time since early Dec :). the weather was warm and sunny, so i weeded a spot designated for my micro mini meadow.

dug and emptied the barrel that had my Christmas potatoes which were frosted early in the season and got enough potatoes for dinner for five :D.

tidied some spent winter crops from the beds. hope the weather continues tomorrow cause then i can finish tidying beds and start digging bean trenches.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1699 on: January 27, 2009, 22:21:29 »
Ooooh I did loads ;D I had a witch hazel to plant and ended up doing the whole border. Phormiums got a good going over, cut down passion flower, attacked the very overgrown abutilon. Dug out some half dead lavender and various other 'almostius deadiuses'. All looking very neat and tidy for now.
I ache like buggery so I'm off to bed. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal