Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875331 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1660 on: January 18, 2009, 21:05:55 »
Bought some shallots and the last of my spuds Lady Christl.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1661 on: January 18, 2009, 23:18:09 »
Got the leeks and the sweet peas sown at last!!  :-X

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1662 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:37 »
Got the leeks and the sweet peas sown at last!!  :-X

Gosh, early for leeks? I haven't even looked at sowing my banana shallots or onions yet! :-[

I was at work the whole weekend, but am reliably informed OH and son went and did some digging for me, bless them..... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1663 on: January 19, 2009, 14:14:50 »
I have been busy recently and not managed to get to the lotti to do much due to the weather.

Spend Saturday erecting a greenhouse at my in-laws as their original one is not big uncouth for us, as our lotti is used by three separate families (our selves, in-laws and grandparent on my wife side), so we end up planting a lot of seeds.  We managed to finish off the greenhouse just before it started to rain on Saturday.  Good job we got it finished due the winds the came on Saturday night.

At the moment I have started of some onions, peppers, leeks, sweet peas, tomatoes, Salvia and Antirrhinum.

My farther-in-law has started off some other leeks, some carrots, spring onions and beetroot.

We have got the runner beans, peas and seed potatoes, just need to start the off at the correct times.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1664 on: January 19, 2009, 14:33:23 »
I have 2 beds of garlic, 3 beds planted with onions (sets and seed) along with rows of carrots and leeks which are not quite ready as part of my companion planting.

But after tomorrow i cant go outside for 2 weeks so its unlikly i am going to get a chance to check on them, the plants were all planted Oct/Nov (except for the leeks) so i am hoping i might get a nice surprise when i do get up there.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1665 on: January 20, 2009, 14:15:52 »
don't know if it's classed as garden work, transplanted 9 golden sunrise toms, 12 parsley, 8 all yr round cauli, still got onions to do and sowing today, spicy salad leaves, purplette spring onions and ishikura onions that look like leeks  ;D
found I've no tigerella toms or leeks, off to swap shop  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1666 on: January 20, 2009, 17:13:01 »
Sowed some leeks.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1667 on: January 20, 2009, 17:18:20 »
Spreading muck again. Had a good 4hours up there today. Was cold when we first got there but warmed up after a bit.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1668 on: January 20, 2009, 18:06:22 »
Not so much garden but started off a tray of leeks, onions, cauliflower, brocolli, strawberries, tomatoes and peas.  Hopefully will sort my so called garden out tomorrow and then off to the lottie on thurs to see if my manure has rotted enough to spread it (been in composter since late September?).  Also have to go through my flower seeds and see what needs doing there as well.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #1669 on: January 20, 2009, 20:03:46 »
Went to the plot and picked some brussels and a parsnip. Made sure that everything was as tidy as an allottment plot can be and advised some of my plot holder mates that i would appreciate if the could keep an eye on it and to help themselves to some stuff.I dont like to waste it so its best to give it away. I'm only doing so as i wont be anywhere near my plots for 5 weeks. Unfortunately i have to go on vacation as i havent had one for near 17 months.I know i will miss going down there but i do need a break.I will have to work quite hard maybe to keep up with the jones,as it were.
I'm annoyed with Thomson & Morgan tho as they said i'd have my seed spuds and some onions from Dec but still not recieved them.They were ordered last Oct i remember.Any one else had probs with deliveries?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1670 on: January 21, 2009, 09:19:05 »
I ordered fruit bushes 2 years ago and they didn't come. Never bothered with em since
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1671 on: January 21, 2009, 16:10:52 »
finished off manuring and covering the poly beds, got a square ready to sow mustard and cress in, weeded, yes we have grass etc growing  :o

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #1672 on: January 21, 2009, 16:40:13 »
braved the cold and went to lotty today. every thing looking grim,picked a few pathetic sprouts which I had fed and protected with nets etc then on the way back to the car I noticed someones bird pecked sprouts they were standing proud and although the tops were nearly stripped all down the stem were beautiful large sprouts perfectly formed
IT'S NOT FAIR
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #1673 on: January 21, 2009, 17:45:04 »
Making some compost bins from pallets i got from work.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #1674 on: January 21, 2009, 20:17:54 »
Did some of the digging I abandoned when I got flu back in October!  About an hour and a half digging, then planted garlic Cristo (I know - VERY late).

Then had to go to get sprog 2 from playgroup.

Raining now and the forcast for next week looks pretty abysmal so glad I got something done!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

samela

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1675 on: January 21, 2009, 21:52:30 »
I got the wood for my new fruit cage and took it down to the lottie.  I hope to build it at the weekend but not sure about the weather......

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #1676 on: January 21, 2009, 22:40:34 »
Sowed 10 seeds of runner bean 'white lady', (at college) placed on heated bench, to be grown on in heated greenhouse, to see if I can have fresh runner beans for my birthday !! (early june) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #1677 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:02 »
Raining today...but yesterday got my first proper session at the allotment this year. The mountain of wood chips that was there last week is now foothills but only about 20 ft from my allotment. So lots of wheel barrow loads later I have mulched around gooseberries, blackcurrants and fruit trees, between strawberry mounds and laid some in front of my cold frame.

I was tempted to put some on the asparagus bed but might be too acid for that.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1678 on: January 22, 2009, 17:25:55 »
Chitting Pentland Javelin, Charlotte and Romano potatoes which have just arrived in the allotment shed. Hooray! ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1679 on: January 22, 2009, 17:30:17 »
... not been on the allotment since october since i planted garlic, onion (seeds/sets), carrots etc

On 2 weeks bed rest so its unlikly that i am going to get onto the allotment for a while :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal