Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877142 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1620 on: January 04, 2009, 20:57:43 »
We had a bit of a tidy up and attempted to turn some soil (very frozen). We then spent ages having a chatter with our lottie neighbours as it is the first time we have seen them since new year. Managed to get a bit done this weekend despite the weather. The shed is looking very tidy!

Brown97

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1621 on: January 04, 2009, 21:29:30 »
Planted out some discount tulips as the garden centre was flogging them off at less than half price.

Slightly unrewarding task as it didn't look any different once I'd finished...ah, ha, but I know spring is just around the corner!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1622 on: January 09, 2009, 16:15:31 »
Wow no-one has been posting on this thread for a few days. We went to the plot today to do some more tidying and dig some more parsnips up to store at home just in case we get another cold spate of weather and the ground freezes. We were quite surprised at how easy it was to dig the roots up,cos it was solid a few days ago.We are lucky to have sandy soil though.  It was quite like Spring when the sun came out. Remembered just why we loved being up there. Hope it stays fine for tomorrow cos we want to go again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1623 on: January 09, 2009, 17:37:32 »
Its too blooooody cold, may try tomorrow.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #1624 on: January 09, 2009, 17:42:41 »
Planted out some discount tulips as the garden centre was flogging them off at less than half price.

Slightly unrewarding task as it didn't look any different once I'd finished...ah, ha, but I know spring is just around the corner!
OOO I might try and get the bulbs that i discovered the other day into the ground this weekend. Thought i might be a little late now it's sooo cold

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #1625 on: January 09, 2009, 18:16:10 »
Went up to the plot today to dig up some spuds.... should have taken a pickaxe.

Had to go Morrisons tonight and buy some :(
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1626 on: January 09, 2009, 18:21:43 »
Nowt because I was at work.... off in the dark, back in the dark... not long til the clocks go forward though!!  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #1627 on: January 09, 2009, 18:35:31 »
Continued clearing out my greenhouse at home. All pots, propagators, trays and containers are now sparkling clean. I'm ready for the season  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #1628 on: January 09, 2009, 23:20:38 »
Spent the day putting paving down for new shed and undercover area- collecting new shed and taking a delivery for our allotment shop - 6 layers on top half and 2 on bottom half kept me warm in the freezing weather.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1629 on: January 10, 2009, 15:50:05 »
Colder today but still went up to spread some muck on the potato patch ready for Tone to rotovate in. The muck was frozen on the top but was ok underneath. Wasn't cold for long when we started working. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so who knows may just be up there again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1630 on: January 10, 2009, 16:39:30 »
Tooo cold and frozen to go to the lottie  :(   so I've washed some pots and put up my 6x4 greenhouse would u believe in the play room downstairs,   :o  kids ain't to happy but at least the kitchen won't be over run with trays and pots.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1631 on: January 10, 2009, 21:35:11 »
Went to plot yesterday for some veg only to find my parsnips under a pile of earth and a man in a big hole next to my plot :o
It seems there has been a pipe broken to our water cystern. The poor chap  was frozen to the marrow, sloshing about in his deep hole of freezing water.
A fellow plottee was doing his best to assist him and very kindly gave me some of his parsnips. I sincerely hope he is out of there now, as his boss was less than symathetic to his plight as was our Parish clerk to allotments when I asked him to make the chap a coffee.( I hope the old sodbox did, I have a sneaky feeling he's not as black as he paints himself. ;) )
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1632 on: January 10, 2009, 21:40:26 »
Nothing again, as we were in York taking eldest back to Uni... it was dark when we got back. We did got to Wilkinsons and got a cloche so tomorrow after Rugby for the younger lad...........  ;D

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #1633 on: January 10, 2009, 21:46:22 »
Nothing. :( Went see Jimmy Osmond in panto. :D Hopefully get up to pick some veg tomorrow :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #1634 on: January 10, 2009, 22:01:58 »
im dying to get out in the garden but everything is frozen still next chance i get will sort my pots etc ready for the season

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #1635 on: January 11, 2009, 18:21:36 »
It was snowing here yesterday, but today was a wonderful sunny day and quite warm (comparatively) until about 3pm.

Finally have had enough frost to learn that it is true - frost does break up the clods :D raked the beds over - have that lovely crumbly soil - but just below the surface, it is still frozen solid :o

Put some spuds and carrots in the polytunnel, so hopefully will get an earlier crop - and some strawberries.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #1636 on: January 11, 2009, 18:40:20 »
managed to actually get a spade in the ground for the first time in weeks! repotted 3 flat leaved parsley,put out a few cabbage and cauli,under cloches,bit of weeding and a bit of sec business.was pleased to see quite a few others up there,made me even more excited to start the growing season!
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1637 on: January 11, 2009, 19:14:42 »
Had chainsaw man round to take down a damaged Gage... cut some cabbage, dug some leeks, had a quick natter to DebP...  :)

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #1638 on: January 11, 2009, 19:35:54 »
Tried to dig up some leeks but the ground was solid so I went home again.

Penske666

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1639 on: January 11, 2009, 19:49:59 »
Wandered outside - decided it was too cold! 

Wandered back inside and sorted some Quince and Apple seeds.

I Don't know the apple variety - very large fruit but the sweetest I have ever had.  Tree was  quite old and on last legs!)  Weren't many seeds either, one of the fruits had no seeds at all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal