Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874999 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1540 on: November 28, 2008, 11:41:18 »
Mixed my compost bins and put winter coats on two of them, covered my palleted bin, had a general tidy up, harvested some carrots and took them home with some stored spuds, give up after a couple of hours with the constant drizzle.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #1541 on: November 28, 2008, 12:13:10 »
Absolutely diddly squat!

Only just home from work.Its thick(ish) with fog still but the sun is going to appear....or so the chap in the radio just said!

If the sun does appear I may venture up to the plot and dig a few "spits" and throw some manure in along the way.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1542 on: November 28, 2008, 12:58:56 »
Dan/Guys

I am going to suggest that we start a ne thread for 2009 as this is getting quite big now :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1543 on: November 28, 2008, 18:14:13 »
Did nowt, Nursing a bad back. We've only got one kneeler so Tony being the elder gets that and I have to bend. The important jobs are done at the plot so am not worrying. Mind you if we go up there we are sure to find something to do.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #1544 on: November 28, 2008, 18:18:03 »
Dan/Guys

I am going to suggest that we start a ne thread for 2009 as this is getting quite big now :)

Good idea Cam 8)....1st Jan, you thinking?

Lovely clearing-up day in a client's garden today in sun and no wind....praying that our good weather continues tomorrow....my own garden needs it :-[

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1545 on: November 28, 2008, 23:29:53 »
Did nowt, Nursing a bad back. We've only got one kneeler so Tony being the elder gets that and I have to bend.

try using a newspaper folded that what i do when i forget where i've put my kneeler :-\.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1546 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:51 »
I was down the lotty this morning and having a chat to a bloke who sticks his head over his back garden-wall most times I'm down there, the conversation was about the old boy two up from me it was only about four weeks ago he was taken into hospital and unfortunately he died last week, his allotment is a cracker I have never seen onions like he had this year, sorry to sound morbid but because of ill health and people packing in I should imagine that there are four allotments going on our allotments for next year,

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #1547 on: November 29, 2008, 16:33:20 »
Just got back after only an hour down (feeling  poorly with a bad cold)the plot,thought the walk in the fresh air would make me feel better...i don't :'(. But came back with Parsnips, Leeks,Cabbage,Sprouts,Sherlots and Butternut squash.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 16:35:19 by froglegs »

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1548 on: November 29, 2008, 16:40:09 »
Spent 3 hours at the plot with the kids.  Got the shed tidied up, the lottie tidied up, 2 rows of red onions and 2 rows of snowball onions in, burnt some of the pile of gooseberry prunings, did some weeding and covered some more of plot and dismantled the net cage over the brussells, they've blown so seemed pointless protecting them!  Hurt now....time for a hot bath and some painkillers I think.  :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1549 on: November 29, 2008, 17:41:46 »
Harvested some parsnips and used my cultivater on a small area but it was too wet to do much else and it was too bloody cold,  :'(  so I went home instead for a bacon sarnie with daddies brown of course.  :P     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1550 on: December 02, 2008, 17:57:22 »
Wet this morning but dry and cold this afternoon, so went down to the lottie. Harvested some red cabbage for dinner. Ate the last few autumn raspberries. The garlic, winter onions and butterhead lettuce seem to be progressing well. The sprouts, leeks, parsnips and kale are waiting to be eaten. Noticed some field beans (green manure) coming through, but the broad beans aren't showing yet.  Phacelia (another green manure) is flowering so I suppose I should dig it in. Made a bonfire and admired the sunset.  Lovely!
Keep Calm and Carry On

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1551 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:17 »
yesterday harvested the last of my beet roots, some carrots and calabrese.

today filled the bird feeders and broke the ice in the ponds and bird watering holes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1552 on: December 03, 2008, 10:47:21 »
Nothing yet, but if the ground thaws out in an hour or so I might...  ;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1553 on: December 03, 2008, 14:33:52 »
Just went to check things was ok and slipped on the ice and fell in  the mud ::) ::) ::)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1554 on: December 03, 2008, 15:48:10 »
Just went to check things was ok and slipped on the ice and fell in  the mud ::) ::) ::)

Gosh are you ok??

I have put the site to bed for the year spent the last 2 days deep cleaning the house :( not as much fun!

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #1555 on: December 03, 2008, 17:29:09 »
At 9am on a bitterly cold frosty morning I'd wheeled 20 barrow loads of manure onto the plot. Am so glad it's over and done with.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1556 on: December 03, 2008, 17:35:29 »
Dug over another large area and incorporated lots of manure.  It was a great day for digging. The soil was very easy to work, after a hard frost.  Also harvested the last of the beetroot, plus some spinach.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1557 on: December 03, 2008, 22:04:28 »
I am fine ;D I have fell over 14 times today :o :o :o my 4 year old must have fell over 50 or so times  :o :o :o nobody seems to salt there path anymore  :-\ so the paths where thick with ice supposed to snow tomorrow and the ice is still there so I can see me falling over even more ::) ::) ::) good thing i have so many clothes on and already have some extra padding (tho not that much my bum is just a bit to big ;D ) or I think I would have broken something :o

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #1558 on: December 03, 2008, 22:56:09 »
Dan/Guys

I agree with this and think it may be more use long term if it was also done on a month by month basis
eg What we did today Jan 09 etc. This would make it easier later on to compare with years gone by.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1559 on: December 04, 2008, 10:16:50 »
Been to the lotty to see if the overflow pipe I put in from my trench is working and it is, so  if I get your run off someone else will get mine ;D,

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal