Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872932 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1360 on: October 06, 2008, 22:29:41 »
Harvested last of sweetcorn and first of jerusalem artichokes.

Cleared greenhouse toms and sowed some lambs lettuce, lettuce, leeks and carrots as experiment to see if anything grows.

cj :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #1361 on: October 06, 2008, 23:17:14 »
Do any of you lucky people actually go to work?  Wish I could have been down on the lottie, unfortunately i have 4 jobs - part time of course but I have to turn up to them otherwise I will have to live on the stuff I grow and I would be a lot thinner. 

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1362 on: October 07, 2008, 00:06:45 »
Lottie Lou - am a 9 - 5 working gal here and almost live off the stuff that's grown (providing I freeze some) - as for being thinner  ::)  ;D

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #1363 on: October 07, 2008, 11:01:59 »
I wanted to be down the lottie today, pulling up more weeds and having a hot coffee in the peace and quiet. Instead we have high winds and rain! I refuse to be beaten though and I have orderd a few more seeds for next year, put a new Audio book on my MP3 player for while I'm down there, found a tin to keep my biscuits dry in the shed and put a few current bushes in pots ready to take down with me next time. Now if only my chicken coop would arrive...

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #1364 on: October 07, 2008, 11:08:06 »
Do any of you lucky people actually go to work?  Wish I could have been down on the lottie, unfortunately i have 4 jobs - part time of course but I have to turn up to them otherwise I will have to live on the stuff I grow and I would be a lot thinner. 

Yes I work(although some would beg to differ ;D)

I work 2 shifts,days and afters......this week Im on afters but Im stuck here on the PC because the weather is foul outside.Nothing much to do up there now excet keep on eye on the cabbage i have left in and start to harvest the sprouts soon.Other than that its winter digging time.The older ones will tell you its too early yet but they are retired,ihave to dig when Im not working.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #1365 on: October 09, 2008, 14:39:04 »
had a great day - the sun was shining, lovely and warm, emptied bins of 2 year old compost (amazing stuff), cleared a finished bean patch but best off all harvested the apples from one plot (20 pounds) and the grapes from the greenhouse (15 pounds at least) - well pleased  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1366 on: October 09, 2008, 18:18:33 »
I put down a few barrows of wood chip on the path, had a general tidy up, emptied a year old bin of compost on the soil and lined out ready for the winter onions going in at the weekend,and a lovely warm day it was  8)   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1367 on: October 09, 2008, 21:43:27 »
Gathered more bean seeds, and dug over my old raised beds and the paths on plot 2, going partially back to basics. I'll leave two raised beds for strawberries, keep paving slab paths around the raspberries and that will be about it  :)

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1368 on: October 10, 2008, 09:59:46 »
Planted some garlic: a short dormancy variety called Germidour which should be ready for harvesting in June, and a long dormancy variety called Moraluz (Panish type) which should be ready in July/August. I have not grown either of these varieties before, so will be interested to see how they get on.  Also collected up lots of leaves for the leaf mould cage. The weather's been beautiful for the last few days.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1369 on: October 11, 2008, 10:15:21 »
Just back from the lotty after a good rotovating session getting my muck rotovated in for the coming winter, its just twelve month since I've had mi allotment and well pleased with the look of my allotment now saying it was like a jungle when we took it on :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1370 on: October 12, 2008, 10:44:01 »
Put in two and a bit lines of Jap onions, emptied a dalek and starting filling it with the bags of peelings and weeds from home and the lottie.  ;D ;D ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #1371 on: October 12, 2008, 11:07:13 »
Absolutely b****r all................but Im off up to the plot now  :)

Got some garlic for people who dont like garlic to plant and we need some more potatoes at home for Sunday dinner.

Put my marker down and winter dig a few rows where Im not putting manure this time.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #1372 on: October 12, 2008, 12:54:35 »
First lot of Overwintering onions put in, dug/pulled up half the tomato plants... smoked a coupla ciggies, picked a pumpkin, came home.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1373 on: October 12, 2008, 13:36:12 »
Harvested runners, s.onions, swedes and carrots.  :P    ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1374 on: October 12, 2008, 13:42:01 »
Went to the allotment and we had a group photograph taken in front of the manure that the Council deliver free.  Lovely sunny day here in Enfield.  Came home as still upset about having to have my cat put to sleep, even the allotment didn't work its usual magic.

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #1375 on: October 12, 2008, 13:44:11 »
Went for my first weeding mission. Didn't do anything for half a year due to a slipped disc, so the weeds were waist high.
Filled my three compost bins to the brim, then started making little heaps in the garden itself. Still cleared only a fifth of the plot.
But enjoyed being back. :) :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1376 on: October 12, 2008, 14:57:25 »
For manure read compost.  I am losing the plot.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #1377 on: October 12, 2008, 15:23:32 »
Cut privet hedges ... miles ... and ... miles ... and .... miles ... and ....miles of privet hedges  ::)

Snip ... snip ... Snip ... snip ... Snip ... snip ... Snip ... snip ... Snip ... snip ... Snip ... snip ...

I almost lost the will to live  ::)

But then I stoked up the oven, had fresh boiled eggs, spinach, salad leaves, boiled potatoes & fresh sliced tomatoes and got my second wind  ;D

I looked at the rest of the hedges and thought "NAH! I'M GOING HOME"
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1378 on: October 12, 2008, 16:40:56 »
Well I went from this....

to this....

Hopefully that will keep the pigeons off the sprouts!

*Note to self, 7 sprout plants may be a little excessive! lol  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #1379 on: October 12, 2008, 17:08:30 »
Me and oh built a new bed, did a support for the raspberries, and planted some strawbs.
Not bad.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal