Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872971 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1340 on: October 01, 2008, 21:37:49 »
Nothing, was ill most of the day, but now it has rained I must get the sluggit in tomorrow evening...  :-[

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1341 on: October 01, 2008, 21:57:04 »
Turned over my squash bed and started to pick the dry runner bean pods.

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1342 on: October 01, 2008, 22:32:59 »
Nuffink today, but collected my prize-3rd for 5rod- of ......£4 :o ;D,
Better than a smack in the belly with a wet fish and it will buy me 2 packets of seeds at least. (the coffee and cakes were worth £4 anyway ;D)
Get well soon Saddad.
Smile, it confuses people.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1343 on: October 02, 2008, 19:46:36 »
Planted about 100 onion sets for overwintering. Prepared a bed for garlic. Harvested some leeks. Picked some autumn raspberries. Covered the sweet potatoes with a polytunnel to try and prolong their growing period. Soaked some comfrey in water.  Tidied up the shed. Had a very smoky bonfire (now allowed every day after 4 pm) - lovely!
Keep Calm and Carry On

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1344 on: October 02, 2008, 19:47:39 »
Got the sluggit in, it has been sitting in the fridge waiting for rain... best way of ensuring dry weather I know!!  ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #1345 on: October 02, 2008, 22:25:30 »
Hey Hopalong, we're allowed bonfires now from 4pm as well - I wonder if it's a Council rule? I see your site's just north east of mine, I take it you're in LB Barnet as well?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1346 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:13 »
At long last I have had my manure orgasam and had a good spreading session this morning so not much more to do for me this year :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1347 on: October 03, 2008, 17:14:45 »
picked calabrese, tomatoes, found some left in potatoes so dug them up for tea,
dug up the first of the sweet potatoes, thick-ish finger size so will leave the rest for a couple of weeks, thinking maybe too much top growth and flowers ..
planted out some franchi seed overwintering onions I've been growing..
gave the swede a feed as the ground they're in has been waterlogged
pulled lots of weeds for the chickens, fed them snails and slugs  ;D
put frost sensitive cuttings and plants in the big greenhouse, phew, no wonder i'm tired  ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #1348 on: October 03, 2008, 17:48:09 »
Well i finally got to do some work in the back garden and the huge left boarder has been cleared, cut back and loads of bulbs planted, and the lawn given a trim.
Need to get the right hand side done and de thatch the flippin lawn and give it an autumn weed and feed.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1349 on: October 03, 2008, 22:46:43 »
Hey Hopalong, we're allowed bonfires now from 4pm as well - I wonder if it's a Council rule? I see your site's just north east of mine, I take it you're in LB Barnet as well?

Yes Amazin, I'm in LB Barnet - East Finchley Allotment Society, off the High Road, with Coldfall Woods behind and the Fuel Lands and Marylebone Cemetery next door.  Where exactly are you? The bonfire rules are borough-wide I think.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:31 »
Had another go at my muck spreading,Ollie photos are there just for you :)

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #1351 on: October 04, 2008, 20:16:03 »
Collected enough windfall apples to make 4 big apple cakes. Yummy
J.P.
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1352 on: October 04, 2008, 21:12:36 »
Did a load of clearing up on the plot after a week in bed ill! Picked the rest of the beans I want to save for seed, pulled the remaining carrots, some celery and a swede for tea.

Quite a few of the outdoor toms that were decimated by blight have actually ripened in the shed, I didn't think I'd get any at all so that was a nice suprise.

Put all of my pathetic melons on the compost heap, never got any to a  fruiting size again, think I'll give them a miss next year... :-\ Most of the few toms i tried in the little lottie greenhouse have finished now, so they went on the compost heap too.

The allium beds are nearly all cleared ready for the autumn planting to start, just the sweetcorn stalks to clear now, so will tackle that tomorrow....

Just made a lovely fish pie for tea, from lottie courgettes, leeks, potatoes, swede, parsley and garlic all used so a good days harvest! ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #1353 on: October 04, 2008, 21:18:43 »
Nuffink! Wind and rain. Then I went to the supermarket. When I came back the wind had dropped, the rain had stopped and it was getting dark. :'( :'(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #1354 on: October 04, 2008, 21:43:20 »

Just made a lovely fish pie for tea, from lottie courgettes, leeks, potatoes, swede, parsley and garlic all used so a good days harvest! ;D

I'm sorry but I've just got to ask.  Which one of those ingredients is the 'fish'?   ;)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1355 on: October 04, 2008, 22:39:38 »
Nuffink! Wind and rain. Then I went to the supermarket. When I came back the wind had dropped, the rain had stopped and it was getting dark. :'( :'(

me too :'(

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #1356 on: October 05, 2008, 00:02:46 »
It didn't start raining here until after dark. I spent most of the day cutting and carting firewood. The first barrow load I was wheeling down the roadway in my neighbours land when he met me and said "Don't barrow that, I'll put a trailer up there and you can fill it. I'll pull it down to yours next weekend, with the Landrover". He's a very good neighbour, not only gives me the firewood but delivers it as well.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #1357 on: October 05, 2008, 00:11:31 »
Tidied up at allotment on plot 2 where the fennel and sunflowers had been growing. His lordship did some digging with his terex or turning over as its not exactly digging! Got very windy at lunch time so went home. Had a good crop of apples this year so plenty of cakes, pies and crumbles!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #1358 on: October 05, 2008, 07:15:59 »
Doesnt look like anything will be done on the plot this morning,its pouring with rain :(

I was there at 8:15 yesterday armed with my lunch and a nice flask of tea.

I unlocked the gate and tied it back so the farmer could get his tractor and trailer through when he came to deliver the "muck"........he never arrived >:(

The day was not totally lost though.I dug over an area not being manured and started to clear a new bed for my strawberries.They grew in pots this time but I want them in the ground for next season.I picked a nice big Savoy cabbage for dinner too.Sorted through my stored Desiree potatoes,threw away a couple of dodgy looking ones and bagged a few to go with the cabbage.

I had the radio on and listening to the football (wish I hadnt bothered!)and just pottered about until 5pm.....decided the farmer was definately not coming,and then went home.........at least the rain kept of until about 6pm!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1359 on: October 06, 2008, 21:54:09 »
Harvested spuds and fennel.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal