Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873021 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1280 on: August 31, 2008, 20:11:39 »
Took 4 hanging baskets down tidied them up, gave them another feed. Picked runner beans, and picked all the ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse. Had a meal supplied by next door and was then too full to do any more work!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1281 on: August 31, 2008, 21:09:44 »
Walked to the allotment, started cutting the grass, then a tremendous clap of thunder and lightning, didn't want to get struck by lightning, so walked/run home and just about got home before the rain started.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1282 on: August 31, 2008, 21:41:16 »
Tidied up for the Open Day and dodged the rain!  ;D

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #1283 on: August 31, 2008, 22:13:22 »
After this morning's storm passed I was on the allotment just long enough to pick some raspberries but it started to rain again so I made the dash back home. What a miserable day! And now I wont be able to get there til next weekend so I guess it wll be another weeding session to look forward to!

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1284 on: August 31, 2008, 22:19:43 »
Picked the last of the runner beans for the freezer (I can't freeze any more  ::) the rest will go to neighbours and family.

Picked raspberries and made raspberry icecream.

Strawberry bed weeded and replanted. 7 seed trays full of plants ready for a 2nd bed!

Ninnyscrops

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #1285 on: August 31, 2008, 22:22:13 »
Picked beetroot and pickled it.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1286 on: August 31, 2008, 23:18:41 »
picked the last of my radishes, picked some pakchoi for dinner, composted spent peas and sweetcorn plants, generally tidied a bit then went inside for lunch and forgot to go back out :P ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1287 on: September 01, 2008, 16:31:18 »
Yesterday I weeded, harvested carrots, spuds and a small cabbage, went down the pub to watch the footie, went home for my dinner and watched the rain, thunder and lighting show from my back door.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1288 on: September 01, 2008, 17:30:19 »
Nipped over to plot and picked beans, corn, toms, spuds and a red cabbage. Called in at daughters on the way home and parted with most of it. :o ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1289 on: September 02, 2008, 20:33:28 »
Harvested runners and sweetcorn earlier, only bought one cob home, and you wouldn't think any of us had eaten the way all four of us fought over one juicy, buttery cob,   :P  and how come the three year old seemed to have won.  ???       ;D ;D ;D

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1290 on: September 02, 2008, 20:38:54 »
Dug up potatoes for the show on Saturday - do you think I can find 5 the same size and shape  ???

I've got a Donald Duck and a Mickey Mouse tho'  ;D

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1291 on: September 02, 2008, 20:41:00 »
Managed to finish laying a path and cut the hedges before the big open day on Sunday.... hope the weather improves! Oh and nipped down to cut the cutting sunflowers just before it went dark!
 ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #1292 on: September 03, 2008, 08:35:13 »
Tony and I were at the plot at just after 9 am. We were back at 11.30 after picking beans raspberries, blackberries and some chrysanths. Spent the afternoon processing it ready for the freezer. Even managed to get some washing done. Its great to be able to do exactly what I want to do without the responsibility of me mom. BTW the home phoned last night and she is settling in very well. Going shopping tomorrow cos its gonna pee down.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #1293 on: September 03, 2008, 09:02:57 »
Picking beans and raspberries, a few toms. Loads of stilt grass going to seed ::)

Harvesting flower seeds for next year.

Began a jug of Basil Wine, first attempt. If it tastes terrible can use for cooking.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2008, 15:14:08 »
Harvested spuds, carrots, sweetcorn :P and beetroot, covered 25 cobs with plastic bottles and cleared some weeds.     ;D ;D ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2008, 19:19:05 »
It rained almost continuously until 4 pm, then cleared a bit. At the lottie, said hallo to a frog in the water tank then harvested some Pink Fir Apple spuds (good crop; interesting shapes; minor slug damage), beans and more beans, Ferline tomatoes (still blight free, unlike Gardeners Delight and Alicante), autumn fruiting raspberries and some good sized  Nantes and Chantenay carrots. The slugs are having a field day and have eaten the tops off some of the carrots, but there is still plenty of juicy flesh left. Also harvested the last of the pot grown Charlotte potatoes. Cabbages, kale, sprouts, spinach, beetroot, parsnips and leeks are doing well. There were a surprising number of people down there this evening, even in this weather.

In the garden this morning, finished off a waterfall into the pond, loosely modelled on High Force but not on quite the same scale!  - i.e. it has a drop of about 18 inches but makes a good splashing sound and should help to keep the water clear. This gardening lark is fun, even in the rain, isn't it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #1296 on: September 06, 2008, 20:35:14 »
Absolutely nothing 'cos it poured down.   Am also having to rest with legs up as got badly burned on the ankles and feet last week whilst on holiday on the Isle of Wight.   

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #1297 on: September 06, 2008, 21:40:55 »
Dug up hundredweights of Potatoes, Desiree, King Eddies and Picasso... huge spuds as the tide was coming in and another day of rain and they would have been standing in water...  ::)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1298 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:27 »
Very wet down the lotty but round the shed and my raised beds I have put down bark so it is ok to walk on, Mrs Smith painted the shed door I watered and picked some Toms, cabbage, sweetcorn and a colly and moved a water butt :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #1299 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:05 »
After hurricane, propped up flattened twig arbor.
Am hopeful its blue morning glory and moonflower vines will continue to bloom since they only commenced  in Sept.!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal