Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873418 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1160 on: July 06, 2008, 15:26:21 »
took the manky bottom leaves off the cabbages and tomatoes, weeded the polytunnel beds (doesn't half play gyp with my knees  ;D )
cut a cabbage for tea, pulled carrots, parsnips and picked peas..ate some strawberries, rocket and celeriac leaves, mange tout, just grazed generally  ;D
watched the 'lads' getting on with the chicken run, took photos of it, cooked them bacon and eggs and stayed far enough away so they could swear  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #1161 on: July 06, 2008, 19:25:55 »
Lifted the walking onions, and then rain stopped play.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #1162 on: July 06, 2008, 19:33:46 »
Inbetween showers we managed to get quite a bit done this weekend. Weeded the flowerbed - it was looking terrible. Had a general weed and tidy up around the raised beds, harvest potatoes, turnips, parsnips and lettuce.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1163 on: July 06, 2008, 20:39:14 »
Plot yesterday, so garden today. Bearded Wonder has borrowed a hedge trimmer and has waged war on the ivy growing over our 8ft wall from pub car park next door. He has decapitated 2 of my 3 remaining sunflowers, broken a lavender bush, crushed an ice plant and thrown his shears down on my calendulas. It's no good, I'm going to have to marry someone else. ::)
Came indoors to cook dinner, had a glass of wine and a very loud sing to Songs of Praise. Feel better now. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1164 on: July 06, 2008, 22:17:18 »
Emaggie I know I shouldn't laugh......BUT.... :) ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #1165 on: July 06, 2008, 23:30:32 »
Nothing.... it poured with rain most of the day.   :(

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1166 on: July 10, 2008, 14:39:01 »
Hi Folks just back from mi hols on the isle of wight after two weeks but leaving the lotty for Friday dreading on what it will look like but most of my veg should be ready for picking :).

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #1167 on: July 10, 2008, 14:50:44 »
I am building a frame out of wood which will be covered with netting to put over brassicas. Will post a pic when I have finished!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #1168 on: July 10, 2008, 16:35:00 »
Picked the last rhubarb and the first courgettes, raspberries and calabrese of the year! :D
Wondered whether I'll get any French beans or sweetcorn this year- both have hardly grown since I planted them out weeks ago. :(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1169 on: July 10, 2008, 16:58:01 »
Nothing so far!!!! The workmen are next door in Lorna's bungalow and my pesky dog just keeps yapping at the fence GRRRRR! The workmen will be going home shortly so at least I can have a couple of hours out there, potatoes to dig, strawberries to pick and hopefully some more peas ready.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #1170 on: July 10, 2008, 17:14:14 »
took up onions that had fallen over, pulled the garlic, picked peas, our first purple podded beand, some carrots and parsnips, cut a red cabbage, greyhound cabbage and found some little rodent has been eating the necks of my calabrese  ???

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #1171 on: July 10, 2008, 17:25:54 »
Harvest all my garlic, picked raspberries, cleared out broad beans, weeded and cut back grass. Didn't need to water anything!

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #1172 on: July 10, 2008, 18:07:58 »
I made a new raised bed and planted out my remaining b/nut squashes and under planted them with raddish and spicy salad leaves.
I planted out my curry plant, some parsley, thyme, lavender and rosemary. Decided to move some very poor currant bushes that were here when I took the plot. Laid some carpet down to fifferentiate the paths

I weeded the extra large weeds, picked peas, strawberrys, some sweet peas and made a lovely bunch for my mum.

I sat and looked at the plots and felt sad because most of my planting is done this year ( I dont count salad crops).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 18:12:09 by Ishard »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #1173 on: July 10, 2008, 20:33:28 »
Do not be sad,plan for next year ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #1174 on: July 10, 2008, 21:37:27 »
I have weeded my onion beds and found unfortunately that some of them have what I think is white rot. Ah well I've got three years of the rotation before I need to confront the problem.

I've decided I need to charge my camera cos the plot's looking not half bad at the mo...... Well the parts I'll let you see anyway!! :P ;D ;D

We're eating nothing but allotment produce now and giving it away too.  That is so cool!!

Weather permitting I'll do the last onion bed tomorrow and start on the brassica.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #1175 on: July 11, 2008, 06:48:59 »
lol Good idea Beltula, and next year my plot wll be 'perfect'.  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1176 on: July 11, 2008, 11:32:45 »
After two weeks away I was surprised that the lotty was not to bad apart from more bind weed, but I came away  with a good mixed bag of veg(hard work paying off), tomorrow I will remove all the frames that I had over my sweetcorn and cabbage and have a weeding session :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #1177 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:08 »
after 6 weeks away,working,i stood in awe,close to tears im not ashamed to admit...everything is looking so wonderful,OH has been keeping it up,saying that he has been away for 3 weeks,im so grateful to our neighbour for watering our greenhouse. can any one suggest a suitable gift to say thanks,he is an elderly chap,doesnt smoke,not sure what tipple he likes,if any? i thought about maybe doing some baking for him and his missus?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #1178 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:10 »
If your kindly neighbour is elderly, would you have time to give him a days-worth of digging? He might appreciate that. If not, what about a voucher to buy seeds?
twinkletoes

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #1179 on: July 11, 2008, 16:20:24 »
jams, pickles and chutneys are always appreciated by our elderly rellies  ;D
specially if you've made it with your own produce

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal