Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874965 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #920 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:57 »
Yesterday now of course! ??? I removed the bits of the old rotten rose arch and mountains of bits of rose to the dump. Then, with my niece's help, erected the new arch. Quite hard work getting it all leveled. I started tieing in the two roses but found that my garden twine isn't strong enough and kept breaking, so off to B&Q for more sturdy stuff. By the time I got back it was getting too cold to do any more so I'll leave it off till tomorrow. Picked up some leeks and pak choi from the allotment and ate them ith pasta.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #921 on: May 19, 2008, 14:05:08 »
Planted out some sweetcorn.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #922 on: May 19, 2008, 19:36:18 »
Today I have planted yet more carrots up the lottie - 3rd time lucky! Dug half the fruit bed out.  Planted out my beetroot and shifted 2 carloads of carpet from lottie to tip and boy was that disgusting! Spiders everywhere and it smelt! I promise I will listen in future, cos that's the one bit of advice I did ignore from here, NOT to use carpet as a weed supressant as it then gets too heavy and yuck to move  ;D

Following that, went to Grandmother's put together the other feature in her garden, drilled lots of holes, put in troughs and baskets and planted it all up.  Just a few more bits to do and she should have her clutter and hassle free garden finished, thank the lord.  If I ever see another Busy flippin Lizzie it'll be too soon - the woman is obsessed!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #923 on: May 20, 2008, 22:28:08 »
shed had been broken into police came, have crime number . rotten day, hope the thieves get tetanus from handing a fork without gloves used to spread manure.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #924 on: May 20, 2008, 23:25:08 »
Sorry to hear that Cliffe Kent...
We carried on, potting on for the sale, this evening until it got too dark, and keeping it all watered.  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #925 on: May 20, 2008, 23:58:48 »
Got rid of last of weeds, planted swede and parsnips, dug and manured trench and planted celery, planted last of caulis and the psb. Bed now ready for sweetcorn, had a word with resident rat, he ambled off to the next plot - hope he stays there. My half plot is full to busting. I have made enquiries about another half but nothing till waiting list goes down. Funny how there are always 12 people waiting ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #926 on: May 21, 2008, 00:20:53 »
Done nothing as i still feel like death :'(

Going up to the site tomorrow to cover more paths with cardboard and cut more grass but only got an hour i can spend on the site and no more wood chips at the moment so going to use bits of wood to weigh down the cardboard to stop the grass growing back. Dont think anything needs watering but might check stull i planted last week.

Picked up spuds for a friend on freecycle as they have just taken on a plot on my site. And did a mini seed swap with the freecycler  ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #927 on: May 21, 2008, 00:30:48 »
Done nothing as i still feel like death :'(

Going up to the site tomorrow to cover more paths with cardboard and cut more grass but only got an hour i can spend on the site and no more wood chips at the moment so going to use bits of wood to weigh down the cardboard to stop the grass growing back. Dont think anything needs watering but might check stull i planted last week.

Picked up spuds for a friend on freecycle as they have just taken on a plot on my site. And did a mini seed swap with the freecycler  ;D

Why dont you just let the grass grow on the paths and mow them ? It takes me 15 mins to wizz round my paths with my push mower..

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #928 on: May 21, 2008, 01:02:42 »
cliff kent im so sorry to hear this,did they take anything?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #929 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:15 »
Yes tools not worth anything but some from parents so have a sentimental value, still will need replacing. I wonder where the boot fair people get their used ones from? on another part of site  second hand tools are mentioned please ask where did they come from. They might be from a shed near you.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #930 on: May 21, 2008, 20:54:20 »
Its fantastic being on holiday, but not going anywhere. So far this week :

Monday finished digging out the old raspberry bed which was tough going as completely encroached with couch and mares tail. But ready for a cover crop now - found some left over spuds that have chitted so will out these in as any crop will be a bonus I just really want to get the soil broken up again and redug before covering for the winter. Also sowed several trays of annual flowers.

Tuesday : cut back the hedge at the house (all 120 ft of it), planted a conifer, a donated aquilegia (nice double blue flowers) and a hardy fuschia. Then off to the lottie and built my brassica tunnel, planted out my brassica's and then covered it with enviromesh. Also sowed 4 trays of lettuces. (I seem to be supplying friends and family with seedlings now as well as produce!)

Today we put up a new trellis, repaired the front fence where a delivery van backed into it, and painted fences with fencelife. Then off to the lottie and built this years tomato house.

My OH lets me escape to the lottie as long as I put in a few hours at the house or garden.

Tomorrow apparently we are having a day off and going out for lunch - so if i get up really early i can get the last of my bean frames built, sow beans, some more summer squash as I have given quite a few away, and then home, showered and out to lunch.

It must be brilliant to be retired and be able to fit all these things in - which are all much better than being in an office all day playing politics!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #931 on: May 21, 2008, 21:46:58 »
Well today's been a busy one in my own garden for a change!  Put up 3 hanging baskets after much swearing about how that particular wall is the only one in my house that's solid!  Also planted up my wall trough - again after much swearing!  Put some tumbling toms through the sides of one of them, but they're not looking v healthy right now so fingers crossed.  Planted out some of the flowers I've grown from seed (first time I haven't filled my garden with plug plants!), cleaned it all up, put out my new solar lights, swore at the dog after he tried to climb the ladder with me.  Oh and sorted out my greenhouses, so now one of them is currently full with 51 tomato plants (last time I sow double in case of failures!), the other is full of flowers and I have one empty ready for the next lot of sowing!  And I'm now knackered and off for a bath!   ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #932 on: May 21, 2008, 21:47:46 »
transplanted some winter cabbage seedlings into the next sized pot, transplanted leeks into rootrainers,
 pinched out the sideshoots on some toms and tied them in, planted  2 more melons inside,only 1 to go
planted celery and celeriac
..picked new potatoes and salad for tea  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #933 on: May 21, 2008, 22:22:16 »
you guessed it watering for the sale!!  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #934 on: May 22, 2008, 16:11:03 »
Planted out some cabbages.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #935 on: May 22, 2008, 16:39:40 »
got everything watered and fed, asked a mate to look after the poly while we're in chester..warned everyone I'll chop their hands off if they eat my strawberries  ;D
had one each, nothing like the first warm strawberry to make me threaten people  ;D
dug up potatoes for my daughter and son in law, swap for looking after the dog for the weekend, bargain  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #936 on: May 22, 2008, 18:34:46 »
Did some watering and weeding and sorted out the greenhouse that my OH had fixed at the weekend. Decided I'm not even going to try to dig until we've had some rain, not that there's much forecast up here.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #937 on: May 22, 2008, 19:56:59 »
first chance to do anything this week, been on college trips, tues, Sheringham park. wed, Chelsea Flower show. Today planted out 75 sweetcorn, pinched side shoots on tomatoes,and  4 hours in front of computer working on assignments!
You couldn't make it up!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #938 on: May 23, 2008, 01:15:28 »
weeded potatoes, onions, peas, corn, asparagus and rhubarb
watered

lbb

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #939 on: May 23, 2008, 12:00:13 »
This morning we planted fifty sweetcorn seeds cpmpletely covered by netting and also prepared another site for  thirty sweetcorn plants also put another batch of runner beans in, :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal