Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 873027 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #900 on: May 14, 2008, 20:44:34 »
planted another melon on a hot heap, weeded the poly border, tied in a cucumber,cut back the vines, generally tidied up and enjoyed the sunshine  ;D

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #901 on: May 15, 2008, 21:12:54 »
Hi
you mentioned melon on hot stuff, can u explain, bit thick here and i am trying melon this year]
cheers
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #902 on: May 15, 2008, 21:33:25 »
Today I had alot of repairing to do, really strong winds shreaded my fleece tunnels  ::) but they at least held up long enough to keep my crops protected  ;D
Also found a big toad in my lottie greenhouse keeping out of the wind & rain....he made me jump nearly as high as he did when I moved the plastic he was under  :D
Had the joyous experience of eating ripe strawberries from my first ever strawberry plants... how bizarre the British weather is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #903 on: May 15, 2008, 21:37:26 »
Hi
you mentioned melon on hot stuff, can u explain, bit thick here and i am trying melon this year]
cheers

not thick at all  :)
dig a hole a spade deep, fill with fresh horse muck and straw, cover with the soil you took out, making a mound, plant the melon in the top of the heap with a cut off 2 litre pop bottle next to it to water into..we grow them inside on these, apart from last year, we usually do well  ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #904 on: May 15, 2008, 21:49:48 »
what did i do in the garden today zip cos it bucketed down all day  :( and im cross cos they changed my day off bet its lovely on sunday  >:(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #905 on: May 15, 2008, 22:07:11 »
Tied up my 2 cucumber plants, put some of the runner beans out, earthed up the few spuds I have (can't earth up any more as the soil has reached the top of the raised bed) Lesson to be learnt, plant deeper next time. Added more plants to 4 of the hanging baskets. Pricked out some (late) Lobelia, Stocks, Pertunias, Marigolds.
I escaped from house to do the above, I was supposed to spend the day clearing cupboards, removing shelves etc etc in the kitchen ready for builders coming on Monday. (Have you ever thought how much "stuff" we have in our kitchens??).
From Monday I will not have a cooker for approx 2 weeks so it is either microwave meals or go next door and use daughters kitchen. Dining room is full of boxes I have packed. Good thing is I won't be able to do much housework so can spend MORE time in the garden ;D ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #906 on: May 16, 2008, 11:21:16 »
Built a wooden cage with netting round  to put my swetcorn plants in when they are ready also put netting up for the peas and one of my lotty neighbours came by a gave me a beautiful colly :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #907 on: May 16, 2008, 21:29:38 »
I picked up something on my flight to denmark on tuesday and been in bed ill all day.

Its 2 wet to do anything anyway so i am spending today and tomorrow resting in the hope that i might make it up to the lotty sunday when the weather is supposed to be better.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #908 on: May 16, 2008, 22:26:42 »
Got man flu

Taken loads of tablets and worked 13hrs

tablets not working so a large scotch mat work

it didnt

another 10 scotches for healing

if not better in morning then I will sweat it out digging to australia for the sake of it

women dont understand man flu, it is terrible, I am so ill

>:( :( :-[ :-X :-\ :'(

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #909 on: May 16, 2008, 22:38:01 »
Sorry you've got man flu Andy hope you recover quickly  ;)

Today I hoed & weeded my lottie as the rain has finally made the concrete clay soil workable again. 

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #910 on: May 18, 2008, 20:16:55 »
Well nothing in my garden, but this is what I've done in my Grandmother's garden.  What was once a scrappy patch of grass....

Is now a lovely raised bed, we had to use some plug plants, but a lot of the stuff were things I'd planted from seed for the first time this year.  It was hellish to build but we got there eventually!

There's more to do up there, but I'm very pleased with this.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #911 on: May 18, 2008, 20:22:17 »
That's lovely- bet she's really pleased with it.

I sowed my parsnips and planted out my leeks. And OH made a start on repairing the greenhouse which wasdamaged by the wind a few weeks back. He was down there yesterday too, strimming- something of a record for him to go two days running, though both were under duress!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 20:24:20 by caroline7758 »

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #912 on: May 18, 2008, 20:28:11 »
Few more raised beds filled from compo heap. Few parsnips popping up but no carrots, bec planted beans and a few other things. Pumpkin is planted out. dug and weeded other plot, knackered now, legs ache.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #913 on: May 18, 2008, 20:40:17 »
Eyed up the weather and decided to take the plunge and plant out my bush tomatoes at the plot. OH continued to make steady progress on the shed roof, I'm now really hoping it gets finished before the Open Day on the 1st June..... :-\

Realised my experiment with not netting a bed of cabbage has not worked.....both the netted beds plants are a good size and growing away well, but the half planted bed I couldn't be ar**d to net has had the undivided attention of the local pigeons by the looks of things, (despite me leaving them my last PSB which had started flowering to play with!) and are sporting attractive frilly edges....! Will have to purchase some more netting now.... ::)

Sorted out the little lottie greenhouse and planted a growbag with three HSL toms...bit of an experiment as I didn't try growing tomatoes in there last year as I couldn't get down to water every day. This time I'm planting in pots on top of growbag with water saving granules mixed in...we shall see how they do! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #914 on: May 18, 2008, 20:45:03 »
Sowed carrots,beetroot,spring onions parsnips and swede.Planted my runner beans "enorma",put in two rows of pea "onward and two rows of mange- tout,and pumpkins.
I came,isaw,I ran

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #915 on: May 18, 2008, 21:28:10 »
Went and harvested lettuces and chives, weeded onions as I walked past, had a long boozy lunch (to which I took the lettuces and chives),got home at 8.30pm. I think I shall have a lightly boiled aspirin for supper. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #916 on: May 18, 2008, 21:50:42 »
Posie thats a very pretty raised bed!!

Having spent 2 days indoors I felt that I needed to get out so went to the lotty my leeks have started to go to seed so i have pulled a load (when cored and cleaned up its about a 1lb in weight) and made a batch of leek and potato soup.

Also pulled last of the beetroot from last year for pickeling, some red onions for onion sandwich tomorrow.

I Pulled a carrot from the load a sowed a few weeks back and its so cute wiped and ate on the spot very tiny but so cute. But means i need to get the next crop into the groud.

I notice that the weed killer has started to work and i should be able to spend some time digging this week as i feel better and finaly get my peas and beans into the ground.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #917 on: May 18, 2008, 21:54:14 »
Just watered round all the stuff we hadn't sold and were reserving for the open day!
 ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #918 on: May 18, 2008, 22:45:50 »
How did it go Saddad?
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #919 on: May 18, 2008, 22:58:57 »
Love that raised bed Posie.

I still had to clear remaining things from my kitchen ready for the builders in the morning but glad to say spent about 3 hours in the garden/greenhouse. With Grandson Joshua's help we potted on 160 plug busy lizzies. I weeded the gravel in the front garden, planted the bigger BL's in the water butt. Also planted out some runner beans, petunias and marigolds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal