Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877259 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #880 on: May 10, 2008, 18:40:00 »
built 3 more raised beds and filled from compo heap(6ft x 6ft x 5ft high), turned rest of heap.

Put plenty of SEERS Rockdust on top and spread some blood fish bone meal.

emptied another heap and took it apart to use the wood for raised beds.

wife planted some stuff out and we built a frame round cherry tree to net later.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #881 on: May 10, 2008, 19:11:36 »
Had good intentions of going down the plot, but ended up doing major sorting out in the garden at home...one bonus, I found a big pot that I grew potatoes in the year before last, and there were a large panful of baby new potatoes hiding in there! That was lunch sorted!

Also dug out and emptied one compost bin of lovely compost and put it over one of my raised beds, planted the last of my potatoes and netted them to keep the cats off!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #882 on: May 10, 2008, 19:24:44 »
we got to the plot for 9.20 and managed to get some weeding done and planted some seeds, hopefully this time the carrots will grow!!! have planted parsnip raddish and cabbage too, oh and some onion sets we were given, tomorrow im aiming to be there a bit earlier so i can clear some more land and might bimble about with the sprouted sweetcorn ive got and see if theyd be happy under a bottle but planted out, who knows, lol! but i do know ive got to get digging or there wont be any space to plant all the beans and peas im optimistically starting off...
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #883 on: May 11, 2008, 21:45:34 »
Watered.  8) 8) 8)    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #884 on: May 11, 2008, 22:03:21 »
A load more digging, got sunburnt and a friendly neighbour gave me one of his wheelbarrows! - I'm over the moon as have been trying to shift weeds in a cheap garden bag full of holes - I'll be twice as fast now! ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #885 on: May 11, 2008, 22:26:19 »
Yesterday evening we went to the allotment for 2 hours and whilst hubbie moved wood chips over to my plot i managed to prepare the paths for him.

Today i have been working on the back garden as its developed pretty bad couch grass so i have pulled as much as i can and sprayed the rest with roundup.  Filled 2/3 of a wheelie bin.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #886 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:38 »
Blimey, that's a lot of couch!

Took a chance and planted out my dwarf French Beans under cloches at the lottie yesterday evening after work....also had a massive move in the greenhouse at home, as growing a load of plants to sell for our Allotment Association at the upcoming Derby Garden Show next Fri/Sat/Sun....no room for my stuff! So, now hardening off climbing French Beans, outdoor toms....watering +++++++++++++ ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #887 on: May 12, 2008, 13:07:27 »
Hello

Another great day, was out early watering everything, and hanging washing out 3 loads dry.

Everything is growing at a rate of knots lots of flowers on my fruit bushes and signs of fruit yummy my potatoes are all up i sowed some carrots on Friday and they are springing up roses are budding up so are my Lillie's just notice that my Rosa rugosa hedge is flowering such a lovely flower and the scent i wish we had scratch and stiff...

Just nipped to town for shopping came out of Wilkinson's with 5 more David Austin roses  :P  i complained they where dying and got 75% off ...... I must stop this my wallet is having a heart attack with amount of money i have spent on roses  :o ......Problem is that i see all these nice roses in Wilkinson's i avoid the £1-£2 roses  and i know in a week or too they will be dead or dying due to neglect so which sounds silly but it breaks my heart  :'( :'( these shops must throw thousands away shame really the only Wilkinson's that i see that cares is my sisters one in wales they have a person who is charge for the plant section always dead heading and watering then and the plants are amazing the worst one is my local poundstrechers in houghton regis total neglect and huge green & white problems yuk yuk!!! and 99% dead and now some have 50% off  ???

Sorry my rant over will nip out in the garden later when cooler and dose myself with painkillers with my shoulder

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #888 on: May 12, 2008, 16:04:45 »
Nothing today, finished off the plant sale, sold over 2,000 worth of plants and hanging baskets, over 1300 profit so absolutely kn*ckered, went to water in the poly and went home to do the washing, we've ran out of clothes  ;D

powerspade

« Reply #889 on: May 12, 2008, 18:19:15 »
Went to the plot about 8.30 this morning, Planted 3 rows of parsnips (in t Rolls), cleared weed off the brassica patch ready to transplant them
tomorrow. Sow some salad stuff different types of lettuce and rocket also transplanted 8 Comfery plants ( I now have 2 rows of the rocket fuel plant). Weeded the path and collected all the rubbish and put onto the compost heap. Finished off the flask of tea and them called it a day.How is it that when ever I plan to just pop down the plot for 2 hours I always forget the time? came back home 5.30 this evening shattered but happy. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #890 on: May 12, 2008, 22:28:37 »
Planted over 150 azaleas, and the same to do tomorrow, hope it is a bit cooler then.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #891 on: May 12, 2008, 22:39:10 »
Nothing today, finished off the plant sale, sold over 2,000 worth of plants and hanging baskets, over 1300 profit so absolutely kn*ckered, went to water in the poly and went home to do the washing, we've ran out of clothes  ;D
Well done Manics All!! What a great result for all your hard work.Shame you now have to go naked, but you will have a lovely all over tan ;D.
Frantically catching up now, beans in,(despite Mr."you don't want to do it like that") and cougettes too. Still loads to do before I can come up for air. More planting out tomorrow. Happy days. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #892 on: May 12, 2008, 22:42:37 »
Well done Manics.. hope we do half as well at the Derby show eh, Deb!
I got nothing done... work all morning, funeral all afternoon, drove back did shopping for week it had gone dark... OH did all the watering for me..
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #893 on: May 13, 2008, 08:38:33 »
keeping everything crossed for you, saddad and debp, hope the sun shines for you all and you make loads, there didn't seem to be any sign of a recession, people spending in excess of 30.00 each, apart from someone giving us a dud 20.00, just hope they didn't know it was fake

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #894 on: May 13, 2008, 14:45:59 »
I planted out my runner beans, french beans, feltham first peas, sutton broad beans and some onion sets.  All beans had been grown on in my gh in paper pots

Got a headache and stingy eyes from sweat in them and raised a lovely crop of blisters in the paml of my hands despite gloves.

Came home went in the pool to cool down then cooked dinner and went back to my plots to 'tie in' peas and beans.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #895 on: May 13, 2008, 15:35:36 »
over the weekend, it added up to a lot of stuff! Planted out the toms! yey! My kids reckoned they counted nearly 40! surely not? well they are with the peppers, maybe they counted them too...
Helped the kids sow the first french beans, weeded the onion and garlic, pulled out some useless winter salads and put chard in its place, watered a few things as it was pretty hot.
then at home I pricked out some brassicas, transplanted some leeks into a bigger container, sowed some basil and sweet williams as I killed the first batch oops
I am a bit sore today though! especially the legs!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #896 on: May 13, 2008, 16:35:09 »
weeded the onion beds, pinched out the side shoots on the toms, just getting the first flowers on, planted out the rest of the beans and a squash..picked lettuce, radish and firkled some new spuds for with the lamb chops for tea  :P ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #897 on: May 13, 2008, 17:43:44 »
Had another weeding session banked up mi spuds prepared a bed for my sweet corn plants that arrived today had a brew and came home :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #898 on: May 13, 2008, 17:51:01 »
put canes up fore my toms in the greenhouse so there ready for the fruit to suport them also repotted some more toms to bigger pots now in flower pots from the local veg store 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #899 on: May 14, 2008, 20:41:02 »
Sowed Savoy cabbage and some runners and watered.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal