Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874667 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #820 on: May 04, 2008, 18:32:42 »
I spent about 4 hours weeding today and reached the end of the plot, plus cut all the grass paths thanks to my next but one neighbour Heather who not only offered her Qualcast but cut most of the paths. :-* :-*

Now I have to get back to the beginning and also sow some seeds..... :o :o

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #821 on: May 04, 2008, 19:18:15 »
Put brick edging along one border, mowed the back lawn, did some more weeding, pricked out some stocks, pansies, pertunias. Part made up 4 hanging baskets (waiting for bought plants to arrive) earthed up the few pots I am growing. Went next door several times to see to Lorna's dog and cats!!! Lorna and Joshua went off to Suffolk Wild life park for the day.
Josh bought me some fudge, I made short work of that ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #822 on: May 04, 2008, 20:16:54 »
used our new rotovatar yesterday and today what a godsend it really did the job well and I will be able to start planting within the next 2 weeks yeah

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #823 on: May 04, 2008, 20:45:54 »
in between selling things, giving advice and dodging the torrential downpours, I planted out some celeriac and cabbage, planted some melons in the poly, phew  ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #824 on: May 04, 2008, 20:53:28 »
weather here has been awesome! moved my fruit bushes to their final destination and put my first tomatoes out, sub arctics, been hardening them off for a while, put my smaller ones in the greenhouse too made loads of space on my windowsill no doubt will fill that with beans etc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #825 on: May 04, 2008, 21:50:21 »
reconstucted runner bean support (hardwood legs this time) put out 10 early runner bean plants.(scarlet emporer). planted up 2 window boxes with toms.
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #826 on: May 04, 2008, 21:58:04 »
Weeding, cup of tea, more weeding, cup of tea whist raining, more weeding..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #827 on: May 05, 2008, 18:04:17 »
Am now begging forgivness from the gardening god....

Popped up after work to spray weed killer (roundup) on 4 of my raised beds from last year which are full of grass i cant dig out with my back. Also sprayed my paths.... well it was only a little bottle of weed killer  :D

Not going to be able to make the lotty tomorrow which means wednesday i can put my paths in as the weed killer would have done its job and i can cover them with cardboard, membrane and wood chips knowing the roots are going to be dead. The 4 beds i am hoping the roots would have relaxed enough for me to get a spade into them and turn the ground over then cover with layers of wet news paper so i can add more compost which i can plant into whilst the newspaper and roundup will kill any weeds that were still in there.

Planted out 2 pumpkin plants and a courgette plant watered my salad bed, carrots and potatoes which are all growing well ;)

Also picked literaly an armful of leeks, red onions and rhubarb so now i need to make some room in the freezer  :D

Also watered the mini greenhouse which is full of lots of germinating plants such as tomatoes, onions, shallots, marigolds, peas, beans, stir fry veg, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, chillis etc

I have 3 new trays to plant up with more stuff tomorrow just have to decide what ;)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 18:27:24 by cambourne7 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #828 on: May 05, 2008, 18:10:28 »
finished off planting the squash and pumpkins under glass, planted the melons in the poly, planted out lollo rosso lettuce, picked salad for tea, all between selling plants  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #829 on: May 05, 2008, 18:25:39 »
Mr& Mrs Smith went down to the lotty for 0800 this morning, I finally dug the rest of the drain what I started yesterday, watered the tom plants put in some runner bean seeds and had another weed clean up, why don't plants grow like weeds :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #830 on: May 05, 2008, 18:46:44 »
Only had an hour at the plot. Continued digging out grass, Oh strimmed and dug up dandelions. Tried out the hand mower I got from freecycle yesterday- pretty good. Spent most of the day in the garden at home- sowing flowers and weeding.Oh strimmed there too, so he thinks he's done his bit for a while now. ::)

Geomet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #831 on: May 05, 2008, 18:58:06 »
Finally took the grapevine I purchased 7 weeks ago out of the greenhouse and planted it,watered the plants put out to hopefully insure they thrive............read the paper and enjoyed some cheese n bread in the open air

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #832 on: May 05, 2008, 19:08:20 »
Cultivated between my spud rows, which have just started to show. Planted a row of dwarf peas. Hoe'd around my onions and shallots - only an hours worth but i think i'm still on top of things at the moment....
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #833 on: May 05, 2008, 19:10:50 »
Spent all day in the garden at home and cut grass and weeded mainly. I just feel I haven't actually made any difference!! ::) ::)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #834 on: May 05, 2008, 20:27:28 »
Nearly killed myself!  :D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #835 on: May 05, 2008, 20:30:19 »
bottled up 14 x 4pints of comfrey juice, fed asparagus with comfrey, and my early spuds. then refilled barrel with comfrey leaves and water to rot down.(airtight cover) Sowed Sweetcorn in tubes, 2 types, Extra early sweet, and Double Standard. Harvested another meal of asparagus. yummy!!
You couldn't make it up!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #836 on: May 05, 2008, 20:31:24 »
Nearly killed myself!  :D

Is this becoming a trend i nearly did that last week, what happened bupster?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #837 on: May 05, 2008, 21:07:19 »
Glorious day, spent a lot of time in the garden and the greenhouse, carried out the  boring weeding job, dug an area in the veg patch which had only been used as a very wide path before. This runs along the wrought iron fence looking on to the side road. So today I have just left a narrow path and made small fence round new border area.
The dog does like to sit against the fence and bark at all and sundry ::)
Flowers on the strawberry plants at last, peas are all peeping through. They are the 2 raised beds I covered with Lidl's mosquito net.
Just great to spend so much time in the fresh air.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #838 on: May 05, 2008, 22:00:11 »
Failed to finish glazing the greenhouse... something not square...
 :(
Moved a lot of stuff around for the sale..
Spotted the first Asparagus !!  ;D

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #839 on: May 05, 2008, 22:09:35 »
did some weeding, and cursed as kids had broken loads of new plants  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal