Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 876662 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2008, 19:37:56 »
Dug, planted beans, then the heavens opened.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2008, 19:38:03 »
Dug out the roots of the perennial sweet peas that had taken over the bed I want to use for herbs- bet I didn't get all of them though! Replanted some in a bucket to try to contain them. Sent OH to the allotment with the strimmer- amazingly he came back in a good mood as it had started easily!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2008, 19:45:13 »
Took dog out round golf course and found a wheel on an axle from a dumped trolley (been looking for suitable wheel for a few weeks) which is the only piece missing from my rotating scarecrow creation so now I can get started ! Crept up to plot at 9am to find another early bird lady plotter at it all ready :o ;D. Sowed 2 rows of peas and planted some lupins, mulched spuds with straw and prepared sweetcorn and squash bed. So with all the other planting done this week I think I've nearly caught up. All looking quite passable now.
Smile, it confuses people.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2008, 19:48:34 »
Nowt...was taken to Harrowgate Spring Show as a b'day treat! A bit moist but good to look around, I haven't been to that show before. Didn't spend too much! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2008, 19:50:35 »
we were there at 8.30  :o
planted out the rest of one squash bed, covered with demijohn cloches, planted sweetcorn in the poly, well, 1 bed, anyway..we're trying to get everywhere clean and tidy for next weekend, feel like we're doing too much and we're going to resign off the fundraising committee after this one  :(

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2008, 19:52:39 »
 :-\ Transplanted some strawberry plants, sowed various herb seeds in greenhouse and attempted to prepare a raised bed... then down came the rain.... and eventually the thunder and lightening!! Also got absolutely drenched later on in the afternoon whilst walking my dog, Basil (my border collie).  Basil and I came back home exhilarated but dripping wet....... Basil enjoyed a nice rub down with the towel and scoffed a bowl of chicken and I am now sitting enjoying a hot steaming cup of tea!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2008, 20:02:55 »
Transplanted my Bedford Fillbasket sprouts and Calabrese broccoli.  27 plants in total.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2008, 20:05:21 »
struggled with a second hand greenhouse, with no instructions and a few distorted spars... didn't get very far, then the heavens opened!
 ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2008, 20:30:18 »
Weeded the onion and garlic beds. Put down seaweed fertiliser. Organised replacement of my shed door so that it locks. Chatted to lots of folk. Was told that they are really happy this year because people are talking, people are helping and the plots are looking better. Woohoo!! Could we be getting it right on the committee???

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2008, 21:47:22 »
Headed up to plant spuds knowing that it was probably going to rain - came back head to foot covered in mud, had to get undressed at the bottom of the stairs to our flat and carry up my clothes straight into the washing machine! Got the job done though  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #770 on: April 28, 2008, 13:02:16 »
I did not get out of bed till 2pm thanks to some stong pain killers spent the rest of the day siting on hot water bottle and lots of cushions. I did manage to sow my peppers and chillis then went to the pub (won the pub quiz yippie).

Back from the doc with some anti-inflamitorys for my broken bum(bruised coccyx) but no lotty work for 2 weeks on his orders  :'( so i am going to make a cup of tea take my drugs and go back to bed  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2008, 13:54:28 »
we were there at 8.30  :o
planted out the rest of one squash bed, covered with demijohn cloches, planted sweetcorn in the poly, well, 1 bed, anyway..we're trying to get everywhere clean and tidy for next weekend, feel like we're doing too much and we're going to resign off the fundraising committee after this one  :(
I though I would have to wait more before putting my squash in??? They are in pots on my balcony. I was surprised to see you had planted them, and the corn.
What other things are people planting just now? I had assumed all these summer fruiters like squash, corn, tomatoes couldn't go out until after mid-May.
FYI our temperatures predicted this week are 15-18 in teh day and 6-9 C at night. that's not really frost weather is it??
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2008, 15:20:42 »
luckily, the soil temp in the poly hasn't dropped below 10 degrees for the last few weeks so we've planted up some of the borders, the ground outside has been covered with weed suppressant, the squash are over hot mounds of fresh horse muck, and covered with a glass demi john cloche so should do very well,
I'll take some pics tomorrow..we're just overcome with seedlings everywhere  ;D
don't rush if you can delay until you feel right and have the room  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #773 on: April 28, 2008, 16:33:08 »
Mal I'm looking forward to your pics. Do you bung a load of soil on the top to plant into?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2008, 17:49:36 »
yep, dig a big hole, maybe 2 spades deep, well, ray does, fill just under  level with fresh stuff and straw, mound the soil dug out over the top and plant the squash into it, bottle or pipe next to it to water into and cover with the cloche, worth a try, they're our self saved seed from the butternuts last year, they've grown very quickly  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #775 on: April 28, 2008, 17:54:26 »
Nowt, we were both back ay work..
 ;D

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #776 on: April 28, 2008, 18:28:29 »
Cambourne, you have to try Hypericum for your coccyx, I too bruised my coccyx and doctor said it could take up to 6 weeks to heal.  A few years ago my sun lounger collapsed with me on it and I landed flat out on concrete, could hardly move, sitting was so painful, got a rubber ring to sit on and pain killers from docotor then had bright idea to phone Ainsworth in London who prescribed Hypericum as nothing from docotor worked.  Not being a person into homeopathy I was amazed and delighted that within two days I was fine, so do give it a go, it does work.

Sinbad

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #777 on: April 28, 2008, 20:13:35 »
I got my rotovater today so I am over the moon.  But weather is horrible here  so have not had time to use it.  OH  will be using rotavator as does not trust me to work it lol

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #778 on: April 28, 2008, 23:13:31 »
Took grandaughter to the plot in her pushchair and got a bit of weeding done while she slept in the sunshine. Going to do it again tomorrow.  ;D Planted dahlias at home, hope they come up this year, I seem to have lost my touch lately. :(

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #779 on: April 29, 2008, 00:04:30 »
Got hubby up to the plot for the second time this year, on hands and knees both of us edging the plots with shears and he knew which compost bin to put the grass cuttings in  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal