Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877159 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #700 on: April 19, 2008, 11:03:37 »
Just back from the lotty after another session with the rotovator :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #701 on: April 19, 2008, 11:09:57 »
Nothing! Peeing it down!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #702 on: April 19, 2008, 12:12:59 »
Using this years bad weather here to completely redesign the lotties, greenhouses, sheds, raised beds being moved , fences scrapped. everything else covered. No growing planned this year apart from stuff in pots. So John is working on that goal... I am the foreman/ cheerleader when I am able to go there.

Sad, but in the long run I think it will be good.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #703 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:41 »
had a nice time in the greenhouse this week, always with my little friend the Robin to keep me company and talk to so as to make it look like I am not talking to myself  ;D

have been potting on numerous caulis and lettuces, sowing seeds etc so imagine my surprise when I realised that the robin was bringing in so many worms and coming into the back of the greenhouse and then I started to hear squeaking and found a lovely little nest with 4 baby robins in it  :o

with this feeding frenzy me and the robin did a deal - it would land on my apricot, tweet for me to leave - feed the young ones and then fly off for more and meanwhile I could go back into the greenhouse to carry on working

taken me about 2 hours just to pot on lettuces  ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #704 on: April 19, 2008, 13:09:40 »
Had a new garden shed delivered yesterday am ;Dmanaged to dodge the showers to paint it and was going to put it up today :-\ BUT it hasn,t stopped raining and the wind is so strong it blows me sideways without me holding a
shedside :'( so here I am just talking about it
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2008, 16:21:22 »
hoed the long poly border, planted tomatoes in it, transplanted some squash that were in loo rolls into pots, checked the melons and moved the sweetcorn that the mice have been at  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #706 on: April 20, 2008, 17:11:08 »
.... been to the lotty today and picked some red kale and leeks for dinner.

Bit to cold to stay up there so i have come home to do more seed planting for the mini greenhouse ;)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #707 on: April 20, 2008, 17:34:29 »
I got loads done today on my new lottie....made a wooden raised bed & a brick stand for the wormery I've ordered  ;D
Also started a rhubarb patch & 2 compost bins, sowed a bed of  beetroots & also a bed of spring onions, radishes & lettuces  :D
Tackeled 4 beds, weeding, hoeing & raking ready for planting (just one bed left to do now yippee!) 

Was having a really great day until some local yobs started throwing water bombs at me  >:(
I couldnt see where they were hiding because the site has a high metal fence around it.
My lottie is near a gate though so it can be clearly seen/reached from a public footpath. The water bombs caused alot of damage to my fleece tunnel  :(
If young plants had been hit they would have been damaged beyond repair but luckily they werent.........that is they hadnt been damaged by the time I left......Im hoping that as their target (ME) is no-longer there they will stop bombarding my lottie  :-\
Im gutted & reckon this may become an ongoing problem  :'( 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #708 on: April 20, 2008, 17:53:40 »
OH has been pricking out for Britain, and the rest of the EU as well... I have been fetch me carry me. Weeded in the schools greenhouse, checked the toilet block and gave it a once over. Moved some wood. Had a jolly but cold time!
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #709 on: April 20, 2008, 18:00:45 »
shame about that, crystalmoon, hopefully the stupid idiots will have tired of it and off to the next victim  >:(
take your camera and try to get photos if they start again

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2008, 18:27:34 »
Or a shot gun and some "blank " cartridges...
 ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2008, 19:05:21 »
Cleared the hen house.
Turned over all the ground in the chicken run.
Big bonfire whilst it was dry.
Transplanted out some little gem lettuce.
Potted on some brassicas.
Potted my dwarf cherry tree and pear tree that arrived 2 days ago.
Potted on my Gypsy peppers

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2008, 19:19:14 »
I got loads done today on my new lottie....made a wooden raised bed & a brick stand for the wormery I've ordered  ;D
Also started a rhubarb patch & 2 compost bins, sowed a bed of  beetroots & also a bed of spring onions, radishes & lettuces  :D
Tackeled 4 beds, weeding, hoeing & raking ready for planting (just one bed left to do now yippee!) 

Was having a really great day until some local yobs started throwing water bombs at me  >:(
I couldnt see where they were hiding because the site has a high metal fence around it.
My lottie is near a gate though so it can be clearly seen/reached from a public footpath. The water bombs caused alot of damage to my fleece tunnel  :(
If young plants had been hit they would have been damaged beyond repair but luckily they werent.........that is they hadnt been damaged by the time I left......Im hoping that as their target (ME) is no-longer there they will stop bombarding my lottie  :-\

Photos are a good idea the police cant do anything unless you have proof but i would go with a back up plan.
Arm yourself with waterbombs and food colouring (something bright like red or green) and aim back. How are they going to explain to there parents why they hare all green hehe

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #713 on: April 20, 2008, 19:26:26 »
Been busy bee's today. Managed to transplant a tayberry, a (yellow?) raspberry and plant six asparagus crowns, aswell as putting some bark paths around the 4 beds at the end of the lottie. OH still excavating the old path. Now have a load of stone & bricks to use around the lottie.  Wonder if he'll find a roman villa?  ;D

Had a major trauma yesterday. Whilst working at the side fence one of the next door hens was picking at the worms I was disturbing when it stuck its head under the fence then lifted it between two fence boards. The poor thing was stuck fast. No matter how many worms we threw under it the stupid thing would quickly peck it up and lift it's head back into the gap again!  ???  Managed to finally get it clear after half an hour of worm flinging. Can laugh about it now. Wish I'd taken a pic but was too taumatised as the poor thing was trying to pull it's head off.  :'(

Mushy Pea

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #714 on: April 20, 2008, 20:44:54 »
My lottie is near a gate though so it can be clearly seen/reached from a public footpath.

I had a similar problem a couple of years back. On my own late evening in summer weeding, when I realised someone was throwing stones at me from the railway line. luckily none of them connected!!

I didn't know what to do as there was nobody else about so I took out my mobile, pretended to dial and said "Hi is that Wester Hailes police station? Could you pop down to the Westburn allotments cos there's some yobbos throwing stones at me from the railway line?"
Suddenly the stone throwing stopped.
Now I have the police station number in my mobile address book so I'm ready for them!!

On topic:P I've weeded and "growmored" all the fruit bushes, cleared the paths at that end of the plot, cleared the last of the beds for the brassica and covered with mushroom compost, watered the stuff in the greenhouse, weeded the asparagus bed, picked the first of my rhubarb and pinched out the growing shoot on my sweet peas. Also gave neighbour Sheena some weed suppressing fabric for outside her hut and the rhubarb leaves for her liquid fertiliser.

It was unbelievably cold today (mainly the biting wind) so I chose things that kept me active. Tomorrow is an Edinburgh holiday so I'm really hoping it will be a bit milder so I can sow some seeds and stuff like that.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #715 on: April 20, 2008, 21:21:17 »
Went to pick some psb, trouble is I always want to stay and do a bit and there is never time, but I checked on the beetroot which is ok and the spuds which were got at by the frost seem to have picked up again with new greenery just poking through. Onions galloping along at last and the currant bushes have teeny fruits on. I shall dedicate every spare minute to my plot this week.
Have been pricking out in the greenhouse by torchlight this evening, BW says now he's seen everything ::)  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #716 on: April 21, 2008, 11:59:55 »
Yes, I always find that if you're in vision of the silly sods, taking out a mobile phone often works wonders. Mind you, so does lifting a fork above your head and roaring towards them. Best bet however is the water bombs with food colouring, best defence being attack and all that.

Cleared and dug over an entire bed on Sat morning, then planted last of onion sets and some greens - chard, leaf beet and lettuce. Yay!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #717 on: April 21, 2008, 13:30:47 »
Today its dry but very windy here so i have decided to get some work done ( i am supposed to be working from home so i suppose doing so it a must  :) )

Rest of the week is supposed to be nice so perhapse the plot will dry out a little today, i have fleese on my salad crops i sowed on friday which sould help start them off.

Planning on a good day on the plot tomorrow  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #718 on: April 21, 2008, 14:51:55 »
Sowed tomatoes, chillies, aubergines, sweetcorn, celeriac and globe artichokes. Funny, I'm sure I've mised something.... :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #719 on: April 21, 2008, 15:51:07 »
just started runners, barlotti, french climbers. sunflowers and transplanted squash in their loo rolls to bigger pots, the roots were hanging out  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal