Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874667 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #660 on: April 10, 2008, 13:43:34 »
Finally had a good session at the allotment this morning.Got all my onion and shallot sets in, plus my early spuds. Aching but satisfied!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #661 on: April 10, 2008, 14:34:06 »
bet you're feeling great,caroline  :)
really upset, haven't been since monday, due to family commitments and doctors appointments, I'll have to go tomorrow to water everything..luckily nothing's too big yet in pots  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #662 on: April 10, 2008, 17:41:36 »
Decided to start sorting my garden raised beds, as they are in a very weedy state after a winter left uncovered. Loads of flower seedlings! Dug over half of one bed, nice soft earth underneath, will be great with a top up of home made compost.....turned my back to go to the polytunnel, and found one of my cats sitting happily in the newly dug bit doing a poo! I had to laugh, he must have been watching and waiting......cleared that up, and now covered the whole lot with a tarp......that will do the trick! ;D

Also potted on my brassicas, cucumbers and melons...all now out in the cold greenhouse. Time for a cuppa.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2008, 18:23:32 »
I had a very sucessful day at the lottie today.
First thing I did was spray black a little pot bellie stove I inherited. I'm going to plant it up with some flowers.

Managed to sieve yet another of my raised beds (that's three done, three to go) before the rain came.

I sowed boltardy beets, mini finger carrots and tender & true parsnips and red baron onion sets.

I'm very pleased with my progress so far.

Lauren  8)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #664 on: April 10, 2008, 19:45:42 »
My oh managed to redig first lottie over again, we have decided to mulch it with fresh horse manure till winter planting so that it will condition the soil, I then completed another 4 raised beds on our second dite ( right next to first one), filled them with soil and fresh manure and covered them up so that the worms do all the work.  At home I managed to plant some white cucumber, beans and some watermelon and melons for the kitchen windowsill and some more toms.  So good day overall

powerspade

« Reply #665 on: April 11, 2008, 21:34:01 »
Finished planting out Red Baron Onion plants which I had in my cold frame

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2008, 11:52:12 »
Finally received comfirmation of what the exact position of my plot is by the council(very helpful young lady) so had a good dig this morning :) :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2008, 13:26:14 »
really pleased managed to get all my spuds planted before the hale hit.

Disapointed my onions have disapeared and my april cabbage looks like its bolted but the plots not looking 2 bad. My leeks have even bulked up thanks to some late trenching.  And the bed i planted up in late feb of carrots and leek seed tape which i had though had not germinated because of the weather looks like its actualy worked ;)

Checked my mini greenhouse and my tomatos, courgettes and pumpkins look like they have survived tranplantation. And my peas & beans have all popped there heads though the ground. So i have given them all a nice drink and will check on them again tomorrow when i plant up the next lot of seeds.

I have brought back some more trays from the plot to plant up another layer of the mini greenhouse just have to work out what else i need to sow other than more seed onion and chillis what are other people planting?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2008, 15:43:16 »
Just come in from planting sweetcorn!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2008, 16:15:19 »
As well as running in and out of the shed dodging the rain, hail and sleet I have finally finished erecting my "freecycle" greenhouse.

Also been pottering about in my smaller greenhouse planting up cauli's and sprouts into individual pots so they go some more before they go out.

Now Im hoping for some dryer weather so I can get something other than onions and shallots in the ground!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #670 on: April 13, 2008, 10:14:35 »
Just come in from planting sweetcorn!
Show off!     ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #671 on: April 13, 2008, 11:11:19 »
Back from the lotty after completing the extra digging because of the council blasl up and with a bit of luck I will have the rotovator on it this week and by the weekend I should be planting in it, by the way called at Focus for a 'Chillington'wheelbarrow for £24.99 :)

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2008, 14:30:05 »
how do you all find the time to do you littie l am finding it hard to find the time to get there   oh well will get there in the end

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2008, 14:37:39 »
We got quite a bit done today. Finished the levelling and laying the slab path. Dug 3 more potato trenches and lined with manure and straw and turned over a large area we had weeded pre-winter. The plan is to finish this main planting area and get the raised beds in over the next week or so.

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2008, 16:08:03 »

sparky l envy you getting all that work done

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #675 on: April 13, 2008, 16:19:48 »
I cleared out the greenhouse, planted sweet peas, cauliflower, swedes, pak choi and spinach. (last two in the greenhouse.) I also sowed the last of my broad bean seeds. Peas and mangetout are chitting in trays.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #676 on: April 13, 2008, 16:28:48 »
Dug 5 rods
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #677 on: April 13, 2008, 22:57:23 »
Planted a bed of onions, shifted fifteen barrowloads of grass cuttings and mulched three besd. Planted three varieties of pea. Put the parsnip seeds to pre-germinate, at home.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #678 on: April 13, 2008, 23:04:50 »
Went to the stables and collected lots of well rotted manure 50p a bag.

Will be making lots more visits as hopefully my raised beds will be completed soon.

Hoed the beds as annual weeds beginning to show.

Sheared the grass.

Admired my garlic.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #679 on: April 13, 2008, 23:24:08 »
Am cream crackered.

Did a load of seed sowing all morning, then down to lottie. Dug over 3 raised beds, uncovered small compacted bit of soil by 'new' shed that was very couch grass ridden but has been covered with tarp overwinter, dug that over, hardly any nasties left now.

Made two peas wigwams and wound one around with jute string. Then OH came down to work on the 'new' shed (which has been under construction since last May!) and finished the doors, so I can lock and actually use it! So, madcap emptying of contents of old (cut in half) shed into new one, OH then demolishes old shed (very rotten) and we have a massive bonfire to clear the lot. Plot looks odd with the new space, now I just have to work out what I'm going to plant there...... ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal