Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875054 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2008, 17:26:25 »
we moved all the plants that are okay in cold into the poly, I planted up 24 lots of sweet peas into black buckets, transplanted some bacopa that's bursting out of the pots, Ray put down weed control on to the paths and put boards up where the beds will be in the poly  :)
I also transplanted some little gem lettuce, red mustard and sowed some radish into a polystyrene fish box, I always do this for an extra early salad crop  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2008, 17:37:09 »
Sowed some seeds at long last (at home), then went plotwards and planted the earlies. Had a chat with my plottie neighbour who I haven't seen for ages and sadly, he told me he has cancer  :( :'(. He is having chemo and I'll keep everything crossed for him.
Made some wonderful support arrangement around my raspberries  :o and also the blackberry. The result seems to have amused plottie on the other side. ;D Thought it was quite artistic meself 8).
Got cold, felt sad, went home.
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2008, 18:19:55 »
Chopped hedges. 30 strawberry runners arrived from Blackmoor Nurseries, so I left them in a bucket of water overnight. I'm going to pot them up and grow them on in a cold frame till I lift the onions, then plant them out and let them get really well established for next year.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2008, 20:04:20 »
Dug over my tattie area, working in some of the manure and de-stoned the carrot to be bed again  ??? I'm sure the stone fairy has been back and poured more on the bed.  ;D ;D ;D.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2008, 23:07:33 »
Sowed some seeds at long last (at home), then went plotwards and planted the earlies. Had a chat with my plottie neighbour who I haven't seen for ages and sadly, he told me he has cancer  :( :'(. He is having chemo and I'll keep everything crossed for him.
Made some wonderful support arrangement around my raspberries :o and also the blackberry. The result seems to have amused plottie on the other side. ;D Thought it was quite artistic meself 8).
Got cold, felt sad, went home.

Sorry about your neighbour Emaggie.My neighbour had done nothing on her plot for months and then I discovered she has managed to get a plot that was left in really good condition.That did not please me to much.I have taken over her old plot and when I did so I called round to ask if she wants anything she left on the plot.No,apart from slabs,slabs duly collected.Big pain of broken glass left behind.
I rang her today and asked when she was going to collect that.She was very offhand and said she will try to get down next weekend.Such an arrogant attitude.Anyway on the positive side I started digging out yet another bed and cleared the plot of loads of bits she has left behind.But I am so slow.Cant keep pace with the ideas in my head.Oh planted my Jerusalem artichoke.First time I have tried these.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #485 on: February 23, 2008, 23:31:31 »
Oh planted my Jerusalem artichoke.

Only one! Between two of you! You are so brave. :P

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #486 on: February 24, 2008, 00:30:33 »
Oh planted my Jerusalem artichoke.

Only one! Between two of you! You are so brave. :P

I know darling but someone has to do it ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #487 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:56 »
Sowed some seeds (indoors):

Carrot, Rosemary, Basil, Dill, Onion, Broccoli, Celery and Garlic Chives.

Potatoes are chitting in Greenhouse. Will plant the earlies w'end of 15/16th march.

(Have given up my allotment, so will be planting in garden )

Q: Have got conifer hedging which needs to be trimmed down before birds begin nesting.
     Can I use the large cuttings for hedging?
     If so, how is it done?

Debs

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #488 on: February 24, 2008, 09:50:21 »
I must confess cue to my husbands work commitments we have not been down to the lottie in two weeks ( smack on the wrist) but we will be spending the next three days there catching up.  I have been planting at home, and am going to do my chilllies today, and tomorrow start measuring my no dig beds on the second half of my lottie, ready for my winter veg.  One side is going to be for summer growth and the other winter growth, so I know what I am planting and then rotate. sounds good in theory lets see if I can do it in real life lol

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #489 on: February 24, 2008, 11:03:57 »
Just back from the lotti once more and I'm ready for a pint :), I finished our second raised bed off and filled it with muck and compost. This morning two fellow allotmentiers turned up with their rotovators I will rotovate mine tomorrow just hope it does not rain in the meantime, one of the old boys certainly knew how to use a rotovator he just walked alongside of it with one hand on the handle (show off) :) byeeeee

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2008, 11:14:41 »
I couldn't sleep last night so only got up at 8.30 this morning. After a leisurely breakfast with the papers and A4A (I am on my 4th cup of tea now) I shall head off to plant some shallots/garlic bulbs. Its a root day today so they should go well - I may even sow some beetroot in modules for the cold frame - not sure yet.  ??? I'll also harvest this weeks veg as still dark by the time I get home from work. ;D

Unfortunately I have finished all the digging and clearing I need to do for now - so waiting for the proper sowing season to really get going. It will have to come soon otherwise I'll bankrupt myself buying seeds - have to feed the addiction some way.  ::)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2008, 14:15:53 »
i helped the step children plant planters for their mum and nans and built my wonderful new compost bin which is now well under way, i planted a lavender bush for the patio and generally tidied around, this morning was spent watching my step son and then my nephew play rugby very enjoyable, not sure what im gonna do today but need to practice my drumming for my lesson tomorrow night, so much to do so little time lol  :D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2008, 14:37:23 »
Dug out the last of my carrots. Some are only little, but very sweet. While digging over my veg patch at home I found 18 more Charlottes I missed  ::). (planted them in August for Christmas last year). Emptied the compost from all last years tubs and pots and that went on the veg patch.
Hid three huge bags of wetted leaves behind the conifers. They can rot away nicely out of site.
Yesterday we managed to get the greenhouse frame up, what a performance. Can smile now that it's up....As the patio it's on is high up the greenhouse looks massive. I have nicknamed it Crystal....as in Crystal Palace  ;D
Afterwards I went to Wyvale to spend my vouchers I got from that compost company (Found glass in compost). I bought a new border fork and one of those potting tray thingies and paid the small difference  ;D.
So it's been a great week end so far  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2008, 20:29:29 »
We had a work party day up the lottie site so hubby repaired a fence and helped clean up the place and i worked on our plots as i do loads as secretary i bow out of the work party's.
Planted some Joan J rasps given to me by a fellow plot holder (yes you  ;D)
dug more of plot 1 clearing bindweed roots and masses of marestail  :(
Put in the shallots and sowed carrots. We cleared a load of rubbish we inherited on the plots.
Came home and pricked out loads of onions and Pansy's sown last autumn, in between i did a pile of ironing, changed beds, cleaned the house and cooked a roast dinner, like you do  ;D
We also went to see a free greenhouse we will collect next weekend ! phew someone make Sundays longer  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2008, 20:37:09 »
Iwas away all weekend so didn't get anything done either Caseylee...
Dawn you are just showing off!!
 ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #495 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:53 »
Dawn you are just showing off!!

No Dave showing off would be if i had managed to finish the list of jobs i had planned  ;D    ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2008, 12:16:26 »
Well I manage to do my rotovating this morning very pleased with the finish to the  digging I did last month the rotovator finished it off, we also managed to dig another thirty sq metre  with the fork and then I made several passes over it with the rotovator which really broke it down, if all goe's to plan with work I will be off Thursday so it will be another digging session followed by the rotovator,  :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2008, 12:21:52 »
I managed to replant my strawberries today, I got a beautiful black currant bush from a fellow freecycler which I have replanted, my husband finished off the glass in my greenhouse, and set up my new water butt, I replanted my sunflowers, and added supports to my peas.  I am off to pick up my tyres at 1pm to get my potatoes on the go, and then this afternoon my husband is going to go and fetch a my other greenhouse I got off freecycle togo on my allotment, and then I can move my seeds over.  Today has been a good day

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2008, 14:06:47 »
Planted out some red onion sets and my Jermor shallots yesterday. Just hope they will be okay and we don't go into a period of frosty weather, but I didn't want to leave it too late. I can always nip over and put some fleece on the shallots if need be I suppose, but it was good to get them in.  OH has sown some tomatoes seeds in the house, and I am going to review my seed bucket to see what I can be starting.  Just good to be doing something productive. Wonder of wonders most of my beds at the lottie are now dug over. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2008, 19:34:45 »
At long last we have  finally dug the last of our lotty which is 250sq meter, I will run the rotovator over the last of it on Monday morning  depending on the weather,  then go back to the start and attach mi plough implement which I have knocked up from some scrap I had laying about and run it through to make the furrows for our spud's :), happy planting folks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal