Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 874573 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2008, 19:17:02 »
Just got a very intresting phone call, were finaly getting some soil delivered to the site.

This means i can top up all my existing raised beds and top up the ones that steveuk kindly dug over for me a couple of weekends ago.

Once i have done i can top up the empty side of my compost bin so that i have some soil for later in the year.

Not only are we getting soil but were being told that the weather is going to be ok for the next 5 days!!

YIPPIE

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2008, 19:22:15 »
Cover you rhubarb now betula although with the pedicted warmer weather it will grow as well uncovered. You should look around the other plots for somebody with an earlier variety that is further on than yours and cadge some when they dig it up.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2008, 22:32:09 »
Thanks morton,I will do that. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #363 on: February 06, 2008, 13:27:14 »
Went to the lotty today managed an hour and its taken me 2 hours to warm up!!

I have come home picked up a flask and custard creams and off i go again

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #364 on: February 06, 2008, 16:11:57 »
I tried to dig over my patch (Still got LOADS of couch grass to get out) but the mud was too much and there was no way to separate out roots from earth. Given up and come back  and potted up some leek seeds.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #365 on: February 06, 2008, 16:50:33 »
Ray marked out the big polytunnel, in between helping him, I transplanted little gem lettuce, mixed leaves and red mustard..mixed up the leaf mould with sand, vermiculite and some chicken fertiliser, transplanted 3 rhubarb cuttings in to pots..moved some of the bonfire wood away from where the poly is going to be..worn out now, having a cuppa  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2008, 20:01:34 »
You two are just sooo industrious! Tell me more about the leaf mould thingy Mal. I have 6 large bags awaiting my attentions and I'm not sure about how best to use them. (another 6 bags of this years leaves to take their place annoying BW as they are in full view ::) so I'd better do something quick.) Swapped for bags of horse poo. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2008, 20:14:28 »
We stuck them in a 'dalek', maggie, left them, apart from bucket and chuck it..for 12 months, we got two lovely compost bags 3/4 full of leaf mould..left the rest in in autumn and added to it for next year, I'm having a go at making my own potting on compost, I know it's too much for seeds but thought toms and stuff would appreciate it..you never know until you try  ;D
we always put a layer of leaf mould into the bottom of the carrot bed, we had 2 bags to one side for that  :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #368 on: February 06, 2008, 20:27:55 »
Had the day off today and had been looking forward to a lottie day and the weather was lovely.  Finally got there at 11am only to find that the shed had been broken into and the content strewn everywhere.

Phoned the Police to report it and started to look at what if anything had been taken.  As far as I can tell the only things missing are my new pink and tan leather gloves, pair of yellow pliers and an old (but really nice) claw hammer.  So if you are in Iselworth or Hounslow and see a young man mincing down the street wearing pink gardening gloves and clutching a hammer and yellow pliers please phone the Police ::)

Soca came and dusted for prints but this could have happened anytime in the last two days so not much luck - general opinion is that the sheds are targetted for the tools which are then used in house and car robberies.

Cleared up, had a bit of a teary moment, dug a bit more and then it was time for the school run.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #369 on: February 06, 2008, 21:19:02 »
I feel for you SMP1704, has happened to me more times than I care to mention, I've nothing left to pinch anymore, keep strong and carry on is my motto, take care/ shades x
grow your own way

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2008, 21:36:16 »
sorry to hear that, smp..car boot season coming up..I'm thinking of painting all my tools either bright pink or luminous...don't know about calling the police, clip around the ear might do more good  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2008, 21:39:14 »
Sorry to hear that as well SMP... we've been OK this Winter fingers and everything else crossed!
 :-X

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2008, 18:39:45 »
HI Gang,

I am sitting here with a hot waterbottle on my back and a mug of tea :)

Moved 8 wheelbarrows of soil which means that 2 of my new 3ftx10ft beds are now full and ready to plant (4 more to go), and i have weeded all the 4ftx4ft beds and topped them up with more soil.

I have built up from 6 wheelbarrows yesterday which means my back should recover after a while.

Tomorrow i plan weeding the 9 beds i had last year and topping these up with more soil and putting as much soil as i can into my compost bin as most of the other lotty holders will be up friday evening and saturday and i am otherwise engaged saturday :(

I also need to start watering my plants as the soils very dry.

Providing i dont have to fly anywhere next week i can try and get the other 4 small beds, the base of the greenhouse and the large fruiting beds dug over and filled providing there is soil left.

Cambourne7

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #373 on: February 07, 2008, 18:52:51 »
Show off ;D,

seriously, well done you :)
grow your own way

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #374 on: February 07, 2008, 18:58:00 »
Sorry to hear about the break in SMP they did one half of the lottie sheds last week, left our side alone, I thought, until I noticed the bolt had been bent, they didn't seem to take anything on the site though. Sowed some Derby day cabbage in my new electric propergator.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2008, 19:01:44 »
its not me showing off its more like grab the soil while i can and spend the time on the lotty while i can  ;) and i would be much further behind without steveuks help a few weeks back.

I'am paying for it though i am a little sore, I think i am going to have an early night tonight.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2008, 19:23:36 »
 :) Cammy, have a vat of neat gin, believe me you will have a great nights sleep ;)

It's been very mild and sunny here today, so did lots of trimming and tidying, no coat weather :o

A very good friend of mine passed away a couple of weeks ago and her family have given me her greenhouse  that I hope will  end up on the lottie, just got to take it down and get it there,I have no transport, :P
grow your own way

lee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2008, 21:54:28 »
I got half a garden today.

I have been looking after my mates allotment on and off whilst he's been in hospital for the past 18 months and not only did I enjoy it,  i've eaten for very little in that time so I thought it about time to make a start on my own.

He has a garden and a half, the half being his by default as it can only be accessed via his plot so I made a start on that today.  I took some pictures, I'll get them on to Flickr or something as soon as I can.

:)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2008, 22:00:19 »
i have dug and dug then dug a bit more today, OH put the roof on my greenhouse for me, just got to go down and do some more digging........ ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2008, 22:19:20 »
:) Cammy, have a vat of neat gin, believe me you will have a great nights sleep ;)

It's been very mild and sunny here today, so did lots of trimming and tidying, no coat weather :o

A very good friend of mine passed away a couple of weeks ago and her family have given me her greenhouse  that I hope will  end up on the lottie, just got to take it down and get it there,I have no transport, :P

hehe a hot bath and i am ok :) sorry to hear about your friend but good news about the greenhouse.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal