Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872971 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2008, 17:25:00 »
Harvested parsnips and leeks yesterday.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2008, 17:41:02 »
first time i have managed to get down for a week or two. its slow progress this time of year for me trying to  time visits between bad weather and kiddy commitments.  today i dug and manured a good area but still have alot to do in that department. my digging stamina is ok for about an hour and then i have to leave it and do something else so i cut back all the flowers i should have cut back in the autumn  :P. harvested some leeks and black kale, mizuna and a couple of celeriacs the size of golf balls.  ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2008, 17:44:41 »
Thank goodness we have raised beds, the 'pond' next to them on the path is about 8" deep..it's been too wet to go today, hopefully tomorrow  :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2008, 17:38:31 »
 :) my carrots.,leeks and lettuce are up in the greenhouse, my rhubarb and chives and kale are growing nicely, but my plot has a lot of water on it :( >:(
grow your own way

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2008, 19:46:45 »
this
new floor on the fruit cage, care of our recycle centre  ;D
also,put the elephant garlic in

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2008, 19:56:41 »
NICE CAGE manics...OH laughed at me today when i suggested putting a door on ours,when we make it! today we moved and split the rhubarb,took up the goose berry bushes from our garden,gave them a new home in the lottie..away from neighbours dogs.soon they will be wondering where all the good stuff has gone! also had nice chat with our guru next door,and popped our rent thru the door of our treasurer.or so we thought!thanks to the very nice lady who called to say we had put it thru the wrong door,then went and corrected our mistake...there are still honest people in the world!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2008, 17:54:19 »
this, and this and this  ;D
they managed to get the land cleared where the big poly's going and CAN YOU SEE THE CLAY..that's what's been causing the waterlogging by our plot, tomorrow's dig trenches to the pit, fill with ash and cover over..also carry on with scraping the rest of the land  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 17:57:12 by manicscousers »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2008, 21:05:45 »
Now THAT'S impressive Mal, machine and men. ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2008, 21:33:01 »
yep, I stood to one side, medecine chest at the ready  ;D
still managed to get the banana shallots in, lollo roso seeds sown, hoops on the hot bed, got peas, radish, mixed leaves and mustard and cress showing, the season's started , yaaaay  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2008, 22:03:04 »
I raised the level of beds that, a mere 4-6 inches down, were at the water table. Scarey stuff, innit? Also collected some rent and chatted to folk.

The great advantage of being a committee member is that you have to be there when you say you will so you get lots done on the plot.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2008, 23:20:43 »
Unfortunately shopping (food), housework and cooking took presendent today. Only managed to get down to lottie one to empty compost crock and pick some clabrese which is still holding well. But tomorrow....bliss.......I get to dig out half of the raspberry canes on lottie 2 which have run amock. Surprisingly i am really looking forward to the hard work. I'll take some piccy's.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2008, 14:43:03 »
Well i have just got back from 4.5 hours on the plot and before i seize up i though i would post what i have been up to, well what steveuk has been up to. The little darling bless him and come up to help and has dug over 3 of my raised beds for me and has promised to pop up and and a go at the others if he gets a chance :)

I have been moving wood chips over and shock horror watering things as my grounds very dry.

Cam

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2008, 15:25:00 »
yes one worn out little plotter, cams a hard task master, had to work for me bacon sarnie lol
good morning though
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2008, 19:43:47 »
Really was in the garden today, did all the cutting back that I should have done in the autumn, then took the prunings to the compost bin on the lottie and filled it up.  Noticed that the rats have taken up residence again.  Mr Fox is looking very healthy, so I won't put down poison.  I'll have to settle for kicking the bin!

Sayed for an hour to do some more digging.

Manics - I LOVE your fruit cage - do you rent Ray out by the hour ;D ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2008, 19:46:50 »
moved yet more raspberry canes,drank lots tea,met 3 new folk that we hadnt before....were still there after dark...again!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2008, 19:47:43 »
Someone told me that planting rosemary next to your bin stops rats taking up residence. I had some mine in my bin and added rosemary and they left so i have a big plant next to the bin now and no sign of anything living in there now. So fingers crossed.

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2008, 19:49:21 »
spent 5.5 hours making 7 raised beds5  8x4 and 2 9x4.put weed suppressing fabric in between and going to  put wood chips down for paths next weekend.so far the beds have worked out at £5.14 each so it has been worth it.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2008, 20:06:20 »
ive been shovelling poopy horse poopy to be truthful still its done now  ;D  ;D  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2008, 20:15:24 »
Yesterday and Today... dug out some jostaberries and took out the couch for a new Strawberry bed. Took a couple of privets and brambles out of a neglected hedge and laid a bit of thorn down into the gap... have the thorns in my fingers still to prove it!
 ;D
Oh and dug some more carrots/parsnips got some red cabbage sprouts and leeks and some celery for soup, which was very nice!
 ;D

micheal p

• Not So New ...
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2008, 20:21:54 »
to all hi  just started a new plot on sat .sun put some beans in. the weather down in the south west was very good.   :) so all the best to all

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal