Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875462 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2007, 23:09:41 »
Wow, Cam, that's an impressive list ;D

Cant say mine is anywhere near as big ::)

cj :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2007, 23:23:24 »
I just hope i dont freeze while i do it :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #222 on: December 14, 2007, 00:25:58 »
I just hope i dont freeze while i do it

Mmm, could be difficult to tell if the wood preservative has dried or frozen ???

Dont forget your thermals!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2007, 20:57:40 »
Brrrrrrrrrrrr, visited the lottie today. Oh my my it was so cold my ears ached with the bitter wind blowing. I didn't stay long, I retreated to the village pub for lunch with my new lottie friend Rose. Wonderful log fire was burning. We were very cosy for three hours of garden chat and putting the World to rights  ::)
Very enjoyable  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2007, 21:44:21 »
Found some great planks dumped on the field behind our house. Just right for raised beds. We put them in the car and took them to the lottie.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten the keys, so OH had to throw them over the fence onto the pile of trees I have piled up for a giant bonfire when I eventually get the rest down too. Quite a job that was. Fence about 6ft high. Planks about 7x2inchesx about 8 ft. Oooh, he looked real muscular as he launched them into the air ::) Only one bounced and hit the fence :-[

Just so you dont get the idea he is some sort of Superman, my lottie is directly on the other side of the fence. He didnt throw them that far, and his aim was more luck than judgement.

I will go over tomorrow to sort them out.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2007, 17:25:32 »
I have had a good day in the garden today I dug over lots of empty plost digging in the compost from my grow bags, i did some weeding and pulled up some old plants i also found on my desk hidden under piles of paper a bag of shallots o kill or cure i planted them, my winter cabbages, sprouts and purple sprouting are doing fab garlic and onions are on their way it wasnt tons of work but it really made a difference and made me feel much happier  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2007, 19:15:15 »
I took some wood from work to the lottie, I also dug other half of my R bean trench and filled it with veggie peelings/ hamster bedding that I've been saving.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2007, 19:34:55 »
Honest - I set off with all good intentions of getting another bed turned - honest.

Sttod there for 5 minutes with my hands in my pockets, had a f*g, came home.  That wind was like a knife.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2007, 20:27:21 »
Nothing again. I was out on princes street - Edinburgh's main thoroughfare (for buses, taxis and shoppers)- collecting for Rotary and St Columba's Hospice

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2007, 21:02:08 »
well done you grawrc

stig

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2007, 21:29:23 »
dug over about 4x5 far too wet  boots were 4 foot wide in mud ..fed my robin so nice to get out after all the rain!!
im stig (thats short for stig in the mud)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #231 on: December 16, 2007, 09:39:03 »
Yesterday, bashed in 4 metposts so that I can start to train the apple trees as espaliers.  First wooden post and then the head snapped off the club hammer :'( So the trees are still not trained >:(

Didn't want to go home after only 45 mins, so did a bit more digging - only got a 4x3m area left to go on that side ;D

2008 will be my third year and I am just starting to feel as if I am bringing the plot under control. (famous last words)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #232 on: December 16, 2007, 11:39:27 »
Hope you were well wrapped up, Anne!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #233 on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:45 »
I was well wrapped up Caroline, although to be hones it wasn't particularly cold. Today of course when I planned to get the last of the garlic planted there are sub-zero temperatures and the ground is frozen solid. C'est la vie I guess!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #234 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:15 »
shifted plenty of manure onto the spud beds and then had fun trying to dig parsnips out of frozen ground but managed quite well in the end - the parsnips have been whoppers this year - beautiful sunny day, crisp, clear but frozen - I loved it  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2007, 13:33:54 »
I am going to dig up the Oca... and some Chicory to force, before it goes dark, Honest!
 :-X

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2007, 13:50:00 »
Just spent about an hour in the garden, I'm sure it's colder there than at the allotment!

Tidied up after the builders who replaced a piece of guttering, that involved putting the mini greenhouses back and then there was an opportunity to sort out all the odds and ends that had accumulated.

Back inside thawing out now

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2007, 14:42:37 »
Pulled some leeks and picked all the resonable sized sprouts. They are all blanched and in the freezer, except for the ones I used for dinner ;D Too cold for anything else.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2007, 15:13:11 »
Brrrrrrrrrrrr, visited the lottie today. Oh my my it was so cold my ears ached with the bitter wind blowing. I didn't stay long, I retreated to the village pub for lunch with my new lottie friend Rose. Wonderful log fire was burning. We were very cosy for three hours of garden chat and putting the World to rights  ::)
Very enjoyable  :)
Don't you just days like that...what more could you ask for...Bliss. :)

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2007, 15:41:09 »
Sorry guys, not as productive as you.  I went to collect onions and spuds that are stored there, then went back home to do yet more painting and house bashing, we are in the process of renovation.  I miss my lottie so much though.
 :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal