Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875056 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2007, 20:59:39 »
I'd have to do a night stake out and catch the little beggers. SAS style, that would frighten the poop out of them  :o
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2007, 23:31:11 »
I'd have to do a night stake out and catch the little beggers. SAS style, that would frighten the poop out of them  :o

You would probaby freeze the poop as well :)

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:58 »
went down today for the first time in nearly three weeks :( i'm so ashamed. it was so frosty as well so there was nothing i could do but it makde me feel really good, and my onions, garlic, peas and b'beans have come along great! so made me feel a bit better. what can i do that's helpful this time of year? anyone??? xxxxxxxxx
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:01 »
what I did in the garden today was......find a New Zealand Flatworm  ??? ???

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2007, 15:31:25 »
Nothing - but I did go past my garlic and think 'hmmm, about time I did something with those...'
 :-[
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2007, 16:33:02 »
what I did in the garden today was......find a New Zealand Flatworm  ??? ???

eak do you have to report them|?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2007, 16:53:21 »
I think your right on that one Cam, there was a chat on hear a while back about them, I'm sure someone will come along with the right info.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2007, 17:09:08 »
Nothing - but I did go past my garlic and think 'hmmm, about time I did something with those...'

VP you've got me worried - is there something I should be doing with my garlic? I wasn't planning to do anything for them until a feed in February?

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2007, 17:16:47 »
ah i've just read cam and angle's posts prior to mine and feel a little better :)
anybody know any little jobs i can do in early morning?x
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2007, 17:29:32 »
You don't have to report New Zealand Flatworms to anyone.

HDRA has a good factsheet

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/pc21.php

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2007, 17:37:37 »
I know Ceratonia  - now they just send you a leaflet "Have you been a victim of New Zealand Flatworm"  ???

I caught one 3 weeks ago, and was going to do a Show and Tell at my Ecology class, but it escaped -what parts of "Flat" and "Worm" don't I understand?? I caught it again this am, being got at by a blackbird. At least I hope it's the same one ???

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2007, 02:18:06 »
I'm putting lots of effort into the paths between my raised beds , weed suppressant fabric intending to add gravel once all  the paths are ready, trying to reduce the non productive weeding time to a minimum next year.
I've got peas growing merrily in guttering in the coldframes waiting to be planted out, bit undecided where to place, this rotation business always catches me out and I have to keep looking it up but I think I've sussed it, got one bed where butternut squash grown last that is presently covered with black polythene so might get away with planting them there - hoping the frost s not got at it so I can do later today - lets hope ???

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2007, 11:48:37 »

VP you've got me worried - is there something I should be doing with my garlic? I wasn't planning to do anything for them until a feed in February?

As usual it depends. If your soil is clayey and you'll know you'll get frosts in February, then waiting 'til then's fine. The key thing is to ensure the planted cloves get frosted, otherwise you won't get a bulb of cloves next year. If your soil's sandy or a loam, then planting now is fine, otherwise plant them in pots. I have a belt and braces approach and plant some now and some in February. Some years the early sowing does best, other years the February ones!
Best wishes,

VP

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2007, 11:52:53 »
Thanks - thought you were talking about something other than planting :)

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:43 »
Oops Barnowl, sorry for creating the confusion!
Best wishes,

VP

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2007, 13:12:31 »
Went down to the lottie which was totally frosted over, so sat in the sun with everyone at tea break and watched the frost slowly melt - then went home because the ground was still frozen.
Then went to do some more shopping!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2007, 22:03:05 »
Got OH to strim the grass paths, which are STILL growing >:( Sawed down a few more trees along the boundary of my lottie, which is also the boundary of the whole lottie. Cleared the lower leaves from the sprouts. Hoed off the weeds which are growing well in the greenhouse soil. Realised that dream of spuds growing in pots in greenhouse for christmas are a complete waste of space!!!

cj :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2007, 18:40:39 »
Made it up to the lotty today and things were better than i though.

Because of the high winds there is some damage but nothing much on my plot and the sheds warmish. So i am going to try and pop up again on day next week.

Garlic has sprouted and its got growth of over 1 inch up to 3 inches which is great and i feel releived that they have not rotted.

There is still some spinach, onions, carrots to harvest. And my sprouts are ok and will be suitable for using at christmas the first time that i got them ready on time. I checked on my leaks and there all bigger than pencils now and some are ready for use.

When i left it was 6degrees when i got home 40min later it was 0.5degees!!

I cant wait to get back up there next week and if it stays dry i can get on with a few jobs and take a few things back to lock away in the garage just in case the shed decides to tumble over.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2007, 19:48:45 »
Nothing very exciting today. Only spent six hours hoovering up leaves and tidying up my garden at home. Now all I need to do in Spring is powerwash all the paths and patio and it's shipshape again  :D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2007, 22:52:04 »
I am going to attempt something thats either really smart or increadably stupid.

Monday i am going to empty my shed and pack up the car with anything thats small enough to fit.

Then i am going to take all the big things out, sweep the walls and floor.

Then i am going to take a tin of expanding foam and use it to fill the gap between the edge of the floor and the walls of the shed. Then i am going to cover some of the larger holes. While this is curing i am going to (dependant on the weather) paint the ourside of the shed with preserver (one coat earlier in the year already on). Once the stuff has cured ( 30 min apparantly ) i am going to cut any excess and pack back in any items that are staying.

How insane am i :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal