Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883226 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #800 on: May 02, 2008, 00:42:04 »
Sowed my Sweetcorn and repotted a few things.....down to the plot, planted two thirds of my brassicas, constructed the poles that form the net covers only to discover I could only find one net! So I did one cover and had to leave the other one... ::)

Did a bit of digging to get the couch out of the patch where the old shed had been, the ground is still rock hard after loads of rain! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #801 on: May 02, 2008, 14:25:57 »
Got the rest of my spuds in this morning, so feeling better despite the advance of the couch! Spread some hops round my garlic and onions and planted some poached egg plants that were sown in the autumn & very pot-bound. Tackled a small patch of couch before lunch.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #802 on: May 02, 2008, 15:06:17 »
Had a good weeding session  and going back for more tomorrow,  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #803 on: May 02, 2008, 15:11:40 »
Nothing Yet but I'll be off home soon!
 ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #804 on: May 02, 2008, 15:40:39 »
got another week of resting so no gardening  :'(

Going to see if i can get the hubbie to go up to the lotty and harvest more leeks for some leek and potato soup and move more wood chips for me this weekend. Might have to bribe him with beer  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #805 on: May 02, 2008, 21:11:33 »
Went down the plot early today, and ended up staying until 3.30....nice and sunny all day, made it a pleasure.  8)

Got loads done, forked over what I have now decided at the last minute will be my dwarf bean bed, made another wigwam and strung it , planted some of the HSL peas that were ready to go out. Planted up my third brassica bed, netted them, then put a few more pre-sprouted parsnips in the roots bed to fill a few gaps. Moved two barrowloads of manure to one of the strawberry beds as it has a lot of straw in it, so though it would make a nice nutritious mulch for them. Sat and watched two sparrows go mad when I moved a paving slab and found a red ants nest underneath, they were more interested in them than the worms in the manure! Work tomorrow...shame!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #806 on: May 03, 2008, 13:51:24 »
wore short sleeves for only the second time this year  8) but had a lovely time putting the aubergines in their final pots, sowing some more burdock, harvested the last of the parsnips and sowed more - just enjoyed the calm of it all

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #807 on: May 03, 2008, 15:25:03 »
I got writers block so went up the lottie on a mission!  Pulled out two beds worth of couch grass, mainly by hand, discovered my spuds are growing, my carrots however are non existent (anyone else have a problem with early nante??) and planted up the 5 dwarf broad bean plants that I'd been lovingly nurturing on my bedroom windowsill.  Yuck I cannot stand the things!  Only planting them for my grandmother!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #808 on: May 03, 2008, 16:05:45 »
it depends where you are located but the carrots will only just get going if outside as it is now finally warming up, bet they take off within the next week  ;)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #809 on: May 03, 2008, 16:43:09 »
I sowed a row of parsnips and purple carrots.
Digging over the ground first though.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #810 on: May 03, 2008, 16:49:52 »
I saw this,[attachment=1]
and we've got this for tea![attachment=2]
 ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #811 on: May 04, 2008, 00:54:37 »
well i went to get more roundup and ended up with 4 ltr of ready made stuff with a spray for 9 quid which is cool ;)

So dependant on the weather this is going to be my job this week as its something i can managed myself.

I need to find my garden knife to get the hubbie to cut more weed membrane out of new beds as were getting more soil delivered this week which means i can try and move some soil into place providing i get to the soil when the pile is still quite large i should be able to manage this myself as i will not have to bend  ;D

This means that in 2 weeks i can finaly move the greenhouse into place and move my later summer raspberrys into place. I dont think i can move any of my other fruiting plants as some have started to fuit and i dont want to disturb them and risk the crops. Am i right in my thinking ??

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #812 on: May 04, 2008, 08:48:02 »
Got the greenhouse levelled yesterday, going to start glazing it today ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #813 on: May 04, 2008, 09:22:46 »
Had a splitting headache all day yesterday, barrowed some grass mulch, watered everything in pots, potted up the last of the tomatoes, went home feeling awful.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #814 on: May 04, 2008, 10:29:25 »
discovered 3 things on my plot

mares tail  :(

bindweed   :(    these join the couch grass

and asparagus  at least 3 plants  ;D

lbb

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #815 on: May 04, 2008, 10:39:33 »
I've decided this year that couch is more of a pain than bindweed (see my other threads this morning!)- at least bindweed has thick enough stems that it comes out quite easily, or you can train it up sticks. Guess I should be grateful I haven't got  marestail as well!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #816 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:31 »
We are just back from a 0830 start on the lotty this morning, cleaned the rest of the weeds off mi onions planted some Tomato plants and dug a french trench on the top side of the lotty, the raised beds with the salads in looks a treat and sitting down having a brew our efforts are starting to pay off :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #817 on: May 04, 2008, 11:58:32 »
Had a good long day yesterday, planted strawberries, onions, cucumbers, weeded everything! today it's quite the opposite today! just got up, mega lie in! Later on I'm planting a flower bed around a tree swing that i had made for my partners birthday! will post pics later! Have a good day everyone  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #818 on: May 04, 2008, 16:52:53 »
Had the weekend off (back at work 2moz  :'() but have not been down the plot as my own garden was in need of some TLC but rain as stopped play, hope it is only a shower. :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #819 on: May 04, 2008, 18:07:13 »
A nice hot weekend had me finishing off my brassica cage with scaffold netting, sowed some dwarf beans, beetroot, and radish, planted more late spuds, hoe- ed in between my onions ( I hate that,   note- to myself   space the onions so the hoe fits in between them ). Started off a new compost dalek bin that's number 5 on the go, one thick asparagus is about 5 inches high, yes that's one Tonybloke not handfulls of the stuff and the marestails coming on a treat.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal