Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882078 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6080 on: June 08, 2012, 19:57:09 »
Took delivery of some fibreglass sheeting for our raincatcher and learnt how to deter the rats from eating our corn cobs-thanks again Davy!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6081 on: June 08, 2012, 23:10:35 »
Runner (Scarlet Emps) and Dwarf (Safari) beans in. More weeding. Slugs had taken one vegetable spaghetti squash and one Soleil courgette  >:(. Gave beans and squashes a good covering with organic slug pellets!

Ninny

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6082 on: June 09, 2012, 20:47:11 »
Cut some thyme for a beef thingy and jumped to find 2 frogs- nearly cut one. guess there must be quite a few in that patch. At least they are enjoying the wet.... Otherwise emptied water from saucers/trays and went to the farmers market... ;D Day off!!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6083 on: June 09, 2012, 20:52:40 »
Finally found out what had eaten my peas and cabbage plants. It was a tiny rabbit that had found a small hole in the wire netting fence in two locations.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

KevinG

• Not So New ...
    • Pics
« Reply #6084 on: June 09, 2012, 21:40:00 »
Trimmed the hedges out the front today, once the wind had died down, good job, tomorrow before the predicted rain sets in need to lop about 3 feet off the top of the holly tree, ladder + chain saw =  ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6085 on: June 09, 2012, 21:46:10 »
paddled to the plot. Planted up the rest of the decorative border, some banana melons in the poly and sowed some more french beans to plant inside after the early spuds come out. Thank goodness for raised beds because all the paths are under water  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6086 on: June 10, 2012, 19:24:00 »
Briliant day warm and not much wind with great hope i headed out and was greated by yep you guessed it slugs have eaten the dailias again and my leeks have bolted :(

Birds have had a go at my runner bean bed - not much left :(

Out of the 4 apple trees 2 are at a 50 degree angle so now need to find a way to support the weight of the tree when they have fruit on and replant in the winter. Probably shock the plant if i try to fix it now :(

Came back in and got on with life and am now going to go back out and finish bagging up all the rubbish for next weeks collection and dig over a bed and contemplate pulling up my leeks i was thinking if i cut out the middle which will be the flowering stem i might have something left and if i cook it down it might freeze for adding to a chicken and leek pie in the next few weeks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6087 on: June 10, 2012, 19:28:04 »
A dry few days, so I dug my first first earlies yesterday and emptied home compost into the dalek
Today I did a lot of weeding, the strawberry's were first and seemed to take forever
The site sec gave me some celery and I planted that
More weeding and watered
Harvested about 10 onions and gave some away to two of the lottie neighbours
Nibbled on a few strawberry's
Mixed dalek bins with aerator tool
More weeding, the marestail went straight into a rubbish bag, the rest went into an empty dalek as there was some naughty weeds mixed in
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6088 on: June 10, 2012, 22:16:23 »
THis weekend has seen the greenhouse finish planting up... 39 tomatoes, 38 assorted capsicums, 3 aubergines and 2 cucumbers....still got 20+ assorted cucurbits to go the allotment but not till the weather gets better.... had to put the two biggest pumpkin plants (Atlantic Giants) up a  few pot sizes today... also pricked out into the pots they'll be planted from all the french marigolds... finished up with about 80.... most will go into the greenhouse, the rest will go around the brassicas....I reckon that will be the thing in a couple of weeks... next uyp get the sweetcorn (second batch) out a ploytunnel built, there's a ton of brassicas needing homes and I need to find a permanent home for the liquorice...  Oh... demolished a load of ivy that was getting in my way on one of the fences too...

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6089 on: June 10, 2012, 22:32:24 »
lweve planted up all the brassicas and covered them in bird mesh and put little slug collars on most of them.

Oh and we found that little rake that J lost the other day.

Well I say we found it, I think one of the other plot holders found it and kindly left it somewhere we would see it as we had scoured the place it was found, but hubby and other son saw it easily yesterday.

One happy J as he got back some of the "treasures" he lost the other weekend. Our boys earn treasures for being good and extras for being helpful and doing extra things, which they save up to earn little treats.

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6090 on: June 10, 2012, 22:37:20 »
This weekend had me fixing storm damage, earthing up spuds and tying up sugar-snap peas. I stayed up a little later last night and hunted down a gang of slugs who had my cabbages in their sights, and today I scraped several sets of butterfly eggs off the same cabbages. Yesterday and today have been tropical, or as close as you can get in Sligo, so butterflies have been working overtime. I've also been keeping on top of the weeding, and am delighted to announce that my yellow and green courgettes are beginning to produce! Ok, they're only tiny specimens at this stage, but it's proof for me that they're 'working'. ;D

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6091 on: June 10, 2012, 22:43:55 »
Oh yeah, I built a wire mesh 'cage' for my strawberries. Ain't no birds getting any of them this year. 8)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6092 on: June 10, 2012, 23:21:03 »
Potted up more french marigolds for the front garden plant sales, even in this wet weather they are being bought  :).

Took some cucumber, courgette, tomato and herb plants down to my brother and sister-in-law, they have caught the
"grow you own" bug, at last. Surprised it took them so long considering they are vegetarians ::)  ;D

Ninny

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #6093 on: June 11, 2012, 13:26:59 »

sowed annual seeds to fill in gaps around the prennials in border around conservatory. Hope it grows well, will look beautiful & will attract bees & butterflies.
Will post a pic if & when :)

weeded two areas in preparation for lavender plants to make hedge to separate areas on patio (another one for the bees & butterflies!)

dug & weeded veg border in preparation for planting ( if seeds grow in all the rain ::) ) 

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6094 on: June 11, 2012, 17:00:13 »
Paddled through the shallows and skirted the deeper bits where we could.  :(

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6095 on: June 11, 2012, 19:34:52 »
Took the last of the plants, that I still haven't planted, out of their puddles in gravel trays and put them in mushroom trays to drain.

Ninny

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6096 on: June 11, 2012, 21:20:43 »
I had to do the same Ninnys. It's a pain........one minute they need gravel trays...next minute it pours with rain ::)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6097 on: June 12, 2012, 02:47:56 »
Floods update:

Kept an eye on the gold fish escaping up the path - brought the rabbit in as it too was about to swim off around the hutch... shopped/waded for an indoor hutch until the waters recede... dry indoors so we are lucky!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6098 on: June 12, 2012, 03:35:51 »
Finally a decent day so we got leeks in the ground plus a ton of weeding.

Oh and I got 2 courgettes in which I HAD TO BUY!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6099 on: June 12, 2012, 23:42:22 »
I'm very proud of myself.  I built a gate for my allotment out of an old pallet, some chicken wire that was left by a previous tenant and some reclaimed fence posts and fittings and it works like magic even though it looks a bit rustic.

It will beat stepping over the rabbit fence every time I want to go in.  My 4 and 6 year olds struggled with that bit before!

Cheers

Squeezy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal