Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882629 times)

brownowl23

• Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4860 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:24 »
Well we found little lads watering can hose so that was good news. I watered a bit and was hoping to get down again later but didnt.

Weve got a young lad on our site who's plots next to mine, he's got great ambitions for his plot which he has just taken on last year and even greater enthusiasm and insists on telling me about all his plans every time I see him. I feel awful having to try and get away to do my watering. It means ive only got about a third of the planned watering done.
the lad told me yesterday that he wanted to take up the carpet path in between our plots, but he has nothing to replace it with yet, so i kindly told him it wasnt a great idea until we had an alternative as at least the carpet is a bit grippy for my boys to walk/run on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:42:16 by brownowl23 »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4861 on: April 21, 2011, 11:23:11 »
What did I do in the garden yesterday evening - watering and more watering! IT's hot here and dry! Was about 26 C yesterday we were all sweating! I weeded the alliums and even gave them a water (nothing for the spuds though, they will have to tough it out).
And gave a drink to the carrots, spinach, strawberries, artichokes, new seedlings (broccoli, lettuce, beets) and the radishes sown on Saturday are germinated already! They will need a lot of water I think!
This morning it has actually clouded over, so probably will rain for our April weekend (we only get Monday off). Typical!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Julia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4862 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:18 »
yesterday evening plants peppers in plastic greenhouse.  Spring onions and coriander in veg area.  Rat baited under shed, under decking and in compost bin.  Today will probably do a bit of watering with can from water butt.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4863 on: April 21, 2011, 18:11:35 »
planted some peppers in the poly, planted some cauli in the ground, put collars around all the brassicas after watering. All the hanging baskets and bedding arrived so we had to sort out the room for them  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4864 on: April 21, 2011, 18:27:39 »
Had to stay home today but did manage to get some of the toms sorted and put some in their final pots.Potted on some begonias and some rudbekia.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4865 on: April 21, 2011, 20:43:01 »
We got another two rows of spuds in... only three to go..   :)

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4866 on: April 21, 2011, 20:48:23 »
Cut the grass..... now this may not seem very exciting but since laying new lawn last year my husband had appointed himself 'Head Green Keeper' and doesnt 'let' me cut it anymore ... His only involvement with the lawnmower until now has been to give it an anual service!

The garden is mine !!  I am taking back control   ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4867 on: April 21, 2011, 20:55:53 »
Watered the seed beds and planted out some lettuce.  And went to the recycling centre for compost.   Car stinks now.  Mulched a few things with the compost.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4868 on: April 21, 2011, 21:06:21 »
Planted out reine des glace lettuce, and romesco caulies. put in the pea sticks. Didn't weed as my knee went wrong yesterday [ getting a rhubarb crumble out of the oven] and it doesn't want to squat today either. Let the water barrel overflow in the poly [####] how stupid was that.... :-\ ......

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4869 on: April 21, 2011, 21:58:40 »
Planted 3 Pentland Crowns in a builders bag for Tattiemans challenge
Watered
Sowed 16 sweetcorn direct
Dug up some of my spent Kale plants, but left some flowering for the bees
Cut hedge at home and put the cuttings in the dalek and mixed with ash
 ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4870 on: April 22, 2011, 19:32:11 »
Spent most of the day lying around doing nothing. I'm still recovering from a vomiting bug.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4871 on: April 23, 2011, 00:15:26 »
Mowed the lawn, tidied up part of the border and planted my first lot of spuds.

Wanted to do more but had to head inside when the temperature started to climb because I'm red-haired and fair-skinned.

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4872 on: April 23, 2011, 04:35:46 »
More sowing of seed, potted on some flowers, watered a lot.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4873 on: April 23, 2011, 16:41:50 »
sat in it and read the paper!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4874 on: April 23, 2011, 16:46:07 »
Just up from last night shift and turned my hand to potting on some plants in need.
Rosemary and thyme, plus a large hosta have all been moved to larger pots.
Still always tomorrow to get more done. ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4875 on: April 23, 2011, 20:04:57 »
Planted the last of my Pentland Crown
Cultivated, watered and added more council compost to the sweetcorn bed ready for more planting tomorrow
 ;D 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #4876 on: April 23, 2011, 20:11:32 »
Finally got all my spuds in and planted a few more shallots that I found lurking in the shed!
Then watered, watered, watered! (that'll make it rain)
Grow yer bugger grow!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4877 on: April 23, 2011, 20:25:11 »
My greenhouse is now fully up and glazed.... last job left is to fit the auto vents, install the autowatering kit and the power inlet.... oh and dig it over and plant it of course.... Power can wait until autumn TBF... Also got the little rotavator fixed and did some rotavating on the two allotments, allotment 1 to turn in some manure, allotment 2 as a weedbashing exercise in bits not planted with spuds.... Also first thing I got down to teh recycling place in Wooton Bassett and picked up a trailer load of council compost.... cost me 3 quid 60..... prolly cost the same again in petrol but it's still way cheaper than the supermarket compost..... I want it to improve the soil in the GH and polytunnel(I want to avoid the random nitrogen content of horse manure) , plus I need to pot on the asparagus....

Tomorrow morning hopefully I'll get the polytunnel up on plot 1, plant the gigandas, the tall peas and the beetroots out, if I get lucky then also the pickling onions... then its off to the folks for a BBQ... if I get anything else done it'll be a miracle, but next on the list is bashing the ground in front of the GH into shape and planting out the fruit and sorting out the bed for the celeriac and parsnips, both of which are coming along in their modules nicely.....

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4878 on: April 23, 2011, 21:18:42 »
Enjoyed it!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4879 on: April 24, 2011, 15:52:18 »
In between customers, cuppas and bacon and egg, sowed my beans and squash seed, transplanted the dwarf french beans and planted out some cauli and red chicory and watered all over the place  ;D  Ray transported 5x 5 gallon containers to water with as our water butts are nearly empty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal