Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883046 times)

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3980 on: July 15, 2010, 21:38:00 »
Harvested my 2nd Potatoes today "Kestrel"

About 12 seed tubers.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3981 on: July 15, 2010, 22:30:25 »
Late sowing of runner beans
Late sowing of peas
Dug out 16 square foot of turf where creating border
Potted up strawberry runners
Ran for cover when it started to belt it down

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #3982 on: July 16, 2010, 18:25:23 »
Made use of the rain and stayed in the green house and just had a good tidy up and made sure everything was in place and supported ready.
Next task is the shed!!!

Will be popping to lottie later to see what damage these high winds have done and make sure Cane (Thats my scarecrows name.... is still keeping an eye on things and not blown away.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3983 on: July 16, 2010, 19:48:13 »
wow smudger28 they look amazing! Some people haven't had a good year with potatoes this year (me included)

I ordered some strawberries and they arrived yesterday, so today I had an epic journey to get two bin bags of manure up the steep hill to the plot and planted the strawberries. While I was lugging the manure I thought 'why am I doing this? This is awful!' But afterwards I felt glad. (or was that just relieved?!)

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3984 on: July 16, 2010, 23:53:43 »
Hi PigeonSeed

We have had the best year ever so far for potatoes.  Last year was a disaster (Blight)..

This year 1st's and 2nd's have been amazing.  Now we just need the Cara's to come good...

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3985 on: July 17, 2010, 12:53:28 »
dodged a lot of wet stuff falling from the some, some say it is called rain  ;D harvested lunch for tomorrow basically - peas, potatoes, cabbages, carrots, sowed the last beetroot (hope not too late); planted savoy cabbages and sowed turnips and radishes inbetween rows

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3986 on: July 17, 2010, 19:06:39 »
Just woke from last night shift and hope that tomorrow will allow me to look over what needs to be done and what should be achieved.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3987 on: July 17, 2010, 22:10:13 »
set some runner beans at home. planted out lettuces and parsley. picked flowers - sweet pea, malope vulcan, sunflowers and achellia. picked mange tout -weggeiser (very prolific). realized i have forgotten which squash i have planted out. earthed up sweetcorn which were falling over in strong wind. weeded onion bed, which are at last swelling.   dead headed sweetpeas in hope of more flowers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3988 on: July 18, 2010, 18:33:25 »
Weeded and watered
Harvested spuds, beetoot, onions and dwarf beans
Sowed parsnips and swede
Harvested my first tigerella tommie in my back garden.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3989 on: July 22, 2010, 14:34:46 »
one thing I didn't do was water  ;D but harvested the last of the peas and cleared the bed and sowed carrots; sowed a few rows of spinach; planted the last of the savoy cabbages and some swede, sowed some tatsoi, thinned the grapes (again) and tried to ignore the weeds  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3990 on: July 22, 2010, 14:44:35 »
Harvested 28 lbs. of tomatoes this AM and pulled up the earlies (Polfast vines) which are finished-
turning out to be a good tomato season here  in Delaware and hope you're having equal success
over the pond.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3991 on: July 22, 2010, 15:00:50 »
sowed beetroot and  turnips  where the onions have come out and carrots inside the poly..took the last of the tayberries off, boy, some harvest this year, plus some raspberries, they didn't get into the punnet  ;D
cut a romanesco, a cauli and a calabrese head, pulled some carrot thinnings, picked some french and purple podded beans, all for tea tonight  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3992 on: July 22, 2010, 19:09:58 »
Watered, now it's raining
Hoe ed the weeds
Harvested dwarf beans
Swedes have germinated
Planted out two more cucs.
 ;D ;D ;D

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3993 on: July 23, 2010, 18:59:45 »
kept ignoring the weeds again by sowing some more seeds - found some Kintsai (chinese celery) seeds and discovered they are quite winter hardy so will be growing these in the greenhouse as well as outside, could make a useful winter soup ingredient, sowed more chard as I've lost quite a bit to bolting and ditto calabrese  :( so sowed a load more as I reckon there's enough growing time left, thinned the apples, harvested for supper and checked all the compost bins for progress - a quiet day  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3994 on: July 23, 2010, 19:02:56 »
Watered, looked for my hand fork, didn't find it, but it will turn up (I hope) dug up some more marestail, was the only person up there this afternoon so no chats.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #3995 on: July 23, 2010, 19:09:20 »
Watered and transplanted cabbages.  ;D ;D ;D

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3996 on: July 24, 2010, 13:39:04 »
harvested several gluts  ;D and listened to the cricket in the greenhouse - halcyon days  8)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3997 on: July 24, 2010, 16:01:23 »
Dug up most of my garlic. Was going to lift onions but they are so small I decided to  weed round them and water them in the hope they might grow a bit more.

Did loads of weeding- couch, bindweed, buttercups, you name it...

Harvested a few beans, a couple of courgettes and about 6 potatoes from 2 plants :(

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3998 on: July 24, 2010, 23:49:19 »
Gosh, I've not been to the plot for a couple of weeks and three tondo courgettes were nearly the size of
footballs :o. The Soleils were being sensible though, so picked a few of those at a nice size.

Picked lots Safari and Tasman french beans, both seemed to thrive with no watering recently. Only enough Scarlet Emperors for about 3 meals. All blanched and in the freezer now.

Pulled up last of the first sowing of Detroit beetroot and cooked them tonight. White Detroit beetroots are hiding still under the soil.

Selma fennel has gone to seed  :( so I'll pull the bulbs and just freeze it for stews.

Trained the Queensland Blue squash to where I wanted it to grow, not where it wanted to  ;D

Watered both plots, weeded under the cucumbers and gherkins.

Picked two little All Year Round cauliflowers and had them with a cheese and bacon sauce for supper.

Ninny

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #3999 on: July 25, 2010, 17:26:57 »
Pulled my beetroot today.  Made some pickled beetroot, beetroot chutney and just cooked some for the freezer.  Also dug up the rest of my kestrel, 4 plants of yukon gold - my god the size and amount - enormous yield from 4 plants.  I only had to use 4 spuds for to make chips for 5 people - adults size dinners - today.
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal