Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882118 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3300 on: March 10, 2010, 18:08:55 »
we took delivery of the big communal greenhouse, the fitter is coming tomorrow, friday and saturday, it's getting exciting  ;D

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3301 on: March 10, 2010, 18:23:32 »
Naffed off. everything is late, late! Managed to get my sweet peas in late, hopefully they'll catch up. was going to plant my shallots but they were moldy! did plant some fruit bushes and tried some myrtle cuttings(they had accidentally become detached from parent plant). mulching of beds with compost from the local tip (bargain £10 a ton, better than anything B and Q sell and peat free)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3302 on: March 10, 2010, 18:35:26 »
Went to B&Q for bits and bobs and got Wednesday 10% off for the first time!! Painted unpainted parts of my shed, painted the bottom of the posts for my pergola. did a lot of chatting and dug up some raspberries.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3303 on: March 10, 2010, 18:54:32 »
Went and pulled two sprout stems... red and green for tea..  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3304 on: March 11, 2010, 18:54:02 »
Transplanted some strawberrys
A bit of weeding
Harvested carrots and the last springys
Dug up more carrots and buried in a trench
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3305 on: March 11, 2010, 20:01:12 »
Well i finally got down the allotment and transferred the manure and compost from my garden in bags ready for spreading/storing.

Also took down 2 weeks worth of (smelly) veg peelings and such for the bean trench.

Was hoping to do more, we've got some structures to build for the manure, leaf mould and compost heap, we've also got some fence panels to put up to (try) stop weed seeds blowing in from the uncared for plot next door.

and about another million things to do!!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #3306 on: March 13, 2010, 13:38:28 »
Nothing! Sob!  :'( :'(

I'm still recovering from surgery so no digging (or lifting, bending, stretching or reaching) for me for a few weeks yet. The weather is sooo nice today as well! Aargh! >:(

Luckily my splendid sister and her boyfriend have said they will come to stay in a few weeks and will plant my potatoes for me  :)

Am just stuck sitting at home waiting for my seedlings to pop up. Grrrr!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3307 on: March 13, 2010, 14:09:30 »
finally sorted out part of the greenhouse, put cover on mini greenhouse inside of said greenhouse, installed heated propagator, and started off 9 types of tomatoes. ;) ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #3308 on: March 13, 2010, 14:17:34 »
Still at it... planted Yacon, Oca and some Summer bulbs in the greenhouse in pots. Dug over the root bed. Going to prune the vine and Fig.. picked some sprouts, cut an endive (radicchio) and some winter radish...  :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3309 on: March 13, 2010, 15:26:48 »
WEEDING. >:(
That's all I can do as the OH has taken me trowel and hand fork to plant out the primulas and other plants we have to put in.
When I have dug over a bit, she follows and fills the space with young plants to show we do not have any bare patches.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3310 on: March 13, 2010, 16:14:44 »
at home, transplanted more tomatoes and peppers, at the plot, transplanted redcabbage and sowed some little gem seed under cover, finally got the rest of the onions in  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3311 on: March 13, 2010, 18:25:10 »
Cut back lots of stuff in the garden this morning, had a break for singing, then went to allotment this afternoon. Still don't know which bit I'm keeping but dug out lots of couch on one patch which will hopefully be mine whichever way they divide it!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3312 on: March 13, 2010, 18:43:09 »
Excuse me while I whinge and moan,I'm aching all over and I'm k********d
the last three days we've
rotovated,dug,weeded,sown peas,radish,carrots,peas (all of which are probably too early but hey ho)
planted two rows of potatoes,edged two paths (despite a line they're fetchingly
wavy.)
I think the thing that got me aching the most was the painting :)
oh and barrowed more muck !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 18:45:04 by macmac »
sanity is overated

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3313 on: March 13, 2010, 18:45:26 »
Pruned the bramley tree. Cleared out the dried sweet peas from the pergola and tried up the clemantis. Ant did some rotavating in the prepared beds. Dug over another area in preparation for moving the last few beds tomorrow.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3314 on: March 13, 2010, 19:23:19 »
Just went and collected 16 rubble bags full of chicken poop and dumped them on the plot!

and my god does that stuff STINK i dont think my car will ever be the same again  :-\

tomorrow we're building a surround for the manure and filling it!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3315 on: March 13, 2010, 19:48:09 »
Ha ha, our car still smells like pine after I used it to transport loads of shredded greenery for the lottie paths... ;D

Had a bit of a different day at the lottie today....for a start, usually sulky teenage daughter wanted to earn some clothes money, but 'doesn't do digging and stuff'...so was put to work doing my most hated job, aka painting the raised beds with woodstain  ::) She did the lot too, so I was happy to stump up the cash!

I spent most of the day weaving willow. I had been given a load of freebie withies, so I made a  freestyle living 'fedge' for the front of my 'new' half plot as the fence is collapsing, then made two permanent willow tepees which will hopefully grow and support my peas and sweetpeas, and still look attractive in the winter. I also plan to make a willow leaf bin, and some low fedges around the edges of part of the plot. Working for the next couple of days on the trot so had to make the most of today!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3316 on: March 13, 2010, 20:56:41 »
Continued to fill bean trench with veggie peelings and any that didn't quite make it at the plot (chopped up). Giant Stuttgarter and Centurion onion sets planted and some Red Sun shallots (all Taylors bulbs).
Weeded and broke up top inch or so of brassica bed.

Ninny

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3317 on: March 14, 2010, 14:26:28 »
went over to my parents house this morning, so, ...........pruned mum's apple tree, wisteria, and a huge rose bush, and emptied last yrs tubs onto her raised beds.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #3318 on: March 14, 2010, 14:31:08 »
Cleared up some broken safety glass... cut down the Autumn Bliss raspberry canes. Planted out a few spare pansies...
Deb's willow fedges look good. Just having a break listening to GQT as it's from Edenfield from Rossendale where I grew up...  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3319 on: March 14, 2010, 14:35:12 »
I sowed some parsnips and potted on my basil seedlings. I then realised that my cabbage sowings from last week have been sitting soaking in water for over a week!!  ::)The compost was soaking wet .I think I might have to sow some more. :(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal