Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882069 times)

cherry pie

Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2020 on: March 19, 2009, 19:06:53 »
Hi everyone I'm a new girl here was just sifting round the web today thought I'd join in so keep me right.

My dd bought me for Mother's Day a new pair of gardening gloves, some herbs and a litter picker upper fantastic so I've been out clearing up and chopping back.  My compost bins have produced some very fine looking material I'm pleased to say. 

Am also going to have a crack at making a few of these earth boxes understand they are very good, any comments on these?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2021 on: March 19, 2009, 19:33:08 »
Not tried them myself Cherry Pie but welcome to the site..  ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2022 on: March 19, 2009, 19:35:23 »
Welcome cherry pie.  I can't help you with earth boxes, but I'm sure someone else will.

Lovely few hours at the lottie today, in bright sunshine. Finished sowing onion sets.  Sowed a row of beetroot. Sowed a few nasturtium seeds around the place. Also sowed more leeks and broccoli in modules in greenhouse. Tidied up the fruit area. Did some watering and weeding. Admired my garlic, broad beans and overwintered onions and lettuce. Finished preparing potato bed and planted a few exotic things obtained through seed swap (not allowed to say what they are!). Had an enjoyable chat with Portuguese friend who'd brought her newish baby down to the lottie - baby's name is Ladybird in Portuguese.
Keep Calm and Carry On

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2023 on: March 19, 2009, 20:12:25 »
Hi Hi Cherry Pie and nice to hear from you Smithy where you been hiding.  ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2024 on: March 19, 2009, 21:12:27 »
Hi Cherry and welcome.
          Corny,  just been doing other things over the last few months but can't wait to get going on the lotty.   :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2025 on: March 20, 2009, 09:35:05 »
Well I was planning to laze around today doing a few bits and pieces in the garden before working tonight, but the strawberry plants I ordered from France before Christmas have arrived this morning, so I'd better get them in the soil! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2026 on: March 20, 2009, 13:22:57 »
hi there
i popped down the allotment this morning after a week away and my peas are up. they are looking good, lol. i did some weeding but thats about it.  ;)

paula
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #2027 on: March 20, 2009, 17:50:38 »
Moved an apple tree that I foolishly planted too close to its neighbour last year. It's just about to burst into life, so I hope it will survive ...
Looked at all the things that need to be shifted before the raised beds can go in. Think I've a busy few weeks coming up.

Sally

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2028 on: March 20, 2009, 17:54:23 »
we finished planting the potatoes, Ray painted the wall behind the fruit cage with white masonry paint (reflect light back), transpanted nasturtiums, sprouts and lettuce..sorted the strawberries  :)

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2029 on: March 20, 2009, 18:50:48 »
Planted some herbs on one of the allotments and tied up the goji berries to the fruit cage

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2030 on: March 20, 2009, 18:55:04 »
Weeded the overwinter onion bed, checked all the greenhouses. Planted the Aubergines/peppers/chillis in the propagator...
 ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2031 on: March 20, 2009, 19:08:08 »
Mowed my lawn and somebody else's. Planted a Japanese Shiled Fern (Dryopteris erythrosora) next to the pond and some Mossy Saxifrage "Peter Pan" in the rockery.
Keep Calm and Carry On

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2032 on: March 20, 2009, 20:08:35 »
planted the oca and ulluca tubers that were sent to me through the swaps page, split and potted up a chive bunch to share with my aunt. had hoped to get a lot more done but things kept cropping up so the day was more spent with me running round like a headless chicken ::) >:(

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2033 on: March 20, 2009, 23:27:04 »
Nothing in the garden or the plot today, but apparently I've not sown the correct aubergine (Black Beauty) or courgette (Tondos) so had to go seed buying for long thin aubergines (Franchi Violetta Lunga 2) and Romanesco (dear old Mr Fothergill's).

Tip - don't have an experienced Algerian/Egyptian cook in the household!  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2034 on: March 21, 2009, 17:25:22 »
planted my earlies 'rocket' and my 2nd earlies 'charlotte', another 40 onion sets, created a bed ready for the sweetcorn / squash, In the glasshouse at home I  sowed seeds  of 2 types of  sprouts, 2 verieties of cucumbers, chillis, datura, cosmos and sweet peas. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2035 on: March 21, 2009, 17:48:28 »
transplanted the last 84 marigolds, 84 livingstone daisies, nasturtiums for the plant sale..transplanted romanesco broccoli, sprouts, filderkraut cabbage, lollo rosso and little gem lettuces for us..weeded the overwinter onions, fed them and checked the fruit  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2036 on: March 21, 2009, 18:51:14 »
Barrowed roadstone; we were making up the lane. It's barely changed since the site was set up in 1840, even the passing places are marked on old Victorian maps. A road designed for horses and carts struggles with these wretched horseless carriages all the time!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2037 on: March 21, 2009, 19:02:51 »
Only had an hour to spare today. Sowed some carrots in a dustbin, picked my first forced rhubarb and weeded the strawberry bed.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2038 on: March 22, 2009, 00:10:49 »
watered greenhouse and house plants/ seedlings. didn't have much time for anything else as we were getting ready to go overnight by family.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2039 on: March 22, 2009, 19:56:50 »
Sowed carrots and cabbage and watered.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal