Author Topic: Chili's For tomatoes  (Read 7409 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Chili's For tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 18:13:36 »
Heyup Biscombe can i be a cheeky chappy from Tarn and have a couple of seeds off you for a big nice taster. I've some Tropical heat you can have.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 18:46:38 »
Ey up lad!!!! done deal! what tomatoes do you want, send me your address  :-*

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 10:44:06 »
Hello. I was hoping you could pick me a variety thats big and tastey youknow Beefsteaky.I'll pm you.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 13:01:27 »
Will do!

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 10:38:00 »
Hi Biscombe seeds arrived safe and sound this morning thank you very much, chuffed to bits with them  :)
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 11:09:33 »
Thanks for letting me know  :) glad you like them and hope they grow well for you

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 12:38:06 »
Hello Biscombe,

seeds arrived today here too. Thank you. I cant wait to get them started next spring. Hope your chilli seeds arrive soon.

cj :)

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 14:19:22 »
hey Rosie... (we have the same name! hehe!) ahem...
i was just wondering how many seeds of each variety you are loking for? i have a small selection of lovely chillies, but dont have many seeds so could only spare a couple of any variety really  :-\
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 17:37:37 »

Home saved seeds must have been isolated 

How serious is this Rosie ?? What happens to the 'children' that are grown on from saved seeds ??   

Flo  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 18:11:51 »
Chillies cross pollinate very easily so if you grow more than one variety near to each other without very careful isolation the odds are the seeds from their fruit won't breed true.

For F1 varieties the seed won't breed true in any case, but there may be fun to be had seeing what crops up the following year! ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 18:18:55 »
oooo you mean I might get stripy jalepenos !! ::) 8) from them crossing with Fish Chillis ??  :D  What a hoot ... do they get hotter too do you think !!  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 18:28:43 »
I'm afraid you'll need someone a lot more knowledgeable than me to answer that one!

If I had the space I'd have go with saved seed just to find out! The guys at the Devon Chilli Farm might be able to advise, although I suppose they'd rather sell us their seed!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 18:35:21 »
Found this on the chillisgalore website

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html

Keep a couple of ripe chillis for next years crop. Hang the chillis in a dry atmosphere and then when dried out, collect all the seeds and seal in an envelope, label up and keep in a dry cool dark place for following year. Unless you have only grown one type of chilli in your greenhouse, or isolated a species, it is likely that most of your plants will have cross pollinated especially the annums, therefore the following year will not give a true variety. Germination may not be as high as bought treated seeds but enough seeds from a couple of plants should yield a satisfactory number of plants for the next season, if you're only growing for enjoyment and culinary uses, does it really matter if you get a slightly different cross pollinated strain. The degree of cross pollination, will be influenced by a number of factors, closeness of plants, amount of insects and if growing outside wind conditions, to ensure no cross pollination occurs growtips4plants must be completely isolated or grown winsome kind of mesh canopy.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 18:39:14 »
oops  :-[ well I think all my little chaps would be b******s  ::) ;D  I have about 20 plants - 5 varieties all very snug in my greenhouse !!  8)  ;D

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 18:40:52 »
Seeds arrived today,it was a fruitful swap as always.Thanks a lot.Btw your postbox is full.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 22:33:41 »
oops  :-[ well I think all my little chaps would be b******s  ::) ;D  I have about 20 plants - 5 varieties all very snug in my greenhouse !!  8)  ;D

At it like nobodies business V! You make me laugh!!!!  ;)
I have read that If you cover the unopened flower with PVA glue this saves you having to isolate all your chili's!!
Anyway be patient you all, PM box is full I know, but I've had a few San Miguel's and don't want to mess with my PM's in this state!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 00:27:00 »
Thanks for the tom seeds,Rosie, you are too generous. Sitting here cringing after reading all of the above. The Purple Tiger I sent you was next to a Tabasco in the green house. :-[. The Tabasco seeds come from a left over packet so they are ok. Oh dear I almost feel as if I've got tom seeds under false pretenses....but a purple tiger crossed with tabasco would probably blow your head off, could be exciting, ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 11:20:57 »
Hi Biscombe,

The seeds arrived safely.

Many thanks and happy growing :)

Barnowl

GEOFF T

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 11:48:43 »
Hi Biscombe cant send you a pm but wanted to thank you for the seeds you sent me i didn't expect that variety or that many cant wait to start planting :)

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 19:31:54 »
Hi Rosie, the seeds arrived today, thank you for such a fantastic selection.

Regards

Paul

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal