Author Topic: Poorly hen!  (Read 5209 times)

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
Poorly hen!
« on: October 09, 2007, 17:40:00 »
One of my hens is poorly so I'm seeking advice as last time I took her to the vet, he didn't really seem to know any more than I do so not a lot of point taking her again!

Gem is a little partridge silkie, about 4 years old and generally sprightly but has suffered with diarrhoea for a long time. I had to dose them all with antibiotics earlier this year as the chicks got colds, and her diarrhoea cleared up but it's back with vengeance now. I've tried the proprietary natural remedies, you add to the drinking water, for intestinal problems. She's also wobbly on her legs and falls over when she first gets moving. The same happened a year ago and I kept her warm, gave her a few hours away from the others each day, and she recovered. She is eating and drinking and her eyes are still bright and she's alert and surprisingly otherwise looks well.

It's sad to see her like this, although it doesn't seem to bother her as she just takes to her bed when she's had enough but I'd like to be able to help her recover but just don't know what it is. The only thing I can think of is that she is rather greedy and possibly overweight as I know that this can put a strain on their legs, but she doesn't look much bigger than the others.

Is there anyone who can advise me...Olive Oil you seem to be well up on chickens...any ideas?

Judi

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Poorly hen!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 17:59:10 »
Hi Judi,

It's never a good sign when they have these problems.   :(

I visit another forum where there is absolutely LOADS of info on hens and their various ailments - In the spirit of share and share alike if you go to Allotment & Vegetable Gardening's Poultry Pages you are bound to find the answer there...

Munty and Aunt Sally are encyclopedia's of information on the subject.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=3

Hope this helps

SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 19:03:20 »
Thank you Snoozy Suzi, have posted there as well. Was amazed at all the "hen info" on that site, will definately put it in my favourites!

Judi

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:05 »
Looks some good info on that site cheers Suzi. Hows the Chicken?

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:17:21 »
She seems fine at the moment, apart from being very wobbly and an explosion of diarrhoea when I lifted her out of the nest box first thing this morning!

Have dosed her for 2 days with the antibiotics that seemed to clear the diarrhoea last time and just put her into one of those big plastic dog crates you use in the car. She's able to see the others and they can see her, she's eating and drinking and crate partly covered so she's warm and dry. Once the others have laid, I'll let her back into the nest box.

She's so bright and alert that it's sad to see her not able to get around.

Judi

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 20:15:16 »
Just a to let you know that Gem, the poorly hen, is right as rain again...well apart from having become all broody that is! Her wobbliness has gone and 3 days of antibiotics have sorted the diarrhoea. Still don't know what the problem was though!

Judi

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 18:27:39 »
The anti boiotics can sometimes give them diarrhorea. I know a few chichen keepers give their hens live yoghurt to settle their tums.

Have you wormed them recently?

I often look on the practical poultry forum for advice, you get loads of help there, usually very quickly!

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 20:36:02 »
Thanks, will try live yogurt. At least she's perky again...live yoga rt, do you mean the biotic stuff?

judi

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 21:11:38 »
I like this site,

http://www.pekinbantams.com/health.asp

lots of info on health and the chat section is great.
The bio yougut culture is a live one and very good for sick animals hens, cats, dogs etc
Apple Cider Vinigar the cloudy one is good added to water.
 also garlic crushed added to water daily about 3 days acts like a natural antibiotic,
a friend chops up a couple of onions each week and gives it to her hens.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 14:03:59 »
Hi Teresa ;D....

sorry off thread, I hope your chook gets better LIF ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 14:21:57 »
Well, just tried the girls with yogurt...they fought each other for it! The poorly one really enjoyed it although it was Greek yogurt as not been able to get bio yet. Is Greek yogurt OK in the meantime, don't want to give them something that will make things worse!

It was so funny watching the black silkies take the yogurt as they got it all over their faces and top knots!! The cockerel looked funny too with a white wattle!! Then the peacocks decided they wanted to get in on the action but couldn't get the yogurt as their beaks are too big so looked on in amazement as the hens got covered in it! It has made my day!

Judi

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 14:58:54 »
Hi Star ?

glad your hens enjoyed the yougut wont harm them and its a different taste for them. You could mix it with dry porrage oates may make it easier for them to eat? just a idea.
 Did you take photos ha ha.
I have posted this link on another thread but its interesting,check the site out as well,

http://p098.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm30.showMessage?topicID=23.topic

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 15:12:20 »
I have PM'd you Teresa :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 15:18:22 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal