Author Topic: How to overwinter geraniums?  (Read 4739 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
How to overwinter geraniums?
« on: September 21, 2007, 21:38:44 »
I left all my geraniums in pots and the ground last year. Lost every one of them. Is there a way to keep them over the winter? Thanks.
YL

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: How to overwinter geraniums?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 23:05:10 »
I bring mine indoors around end October, they really don't like frost. (Assuming you mean pelargonium rather than geranium, as I've got hardy geraniums here that survive fine outside)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 23:25:45 »
I pulled mine out of their pots and trimmed them back hard, including the roots, then jammed them tight into a long trough filled with compost.  I kept them in a corner of the conservatory and pretty much forgot about them apart from a brief watering and removing any flowers when I noticed them through the winter.

In spring I teased them out and replanted them into fresh pots for the summer.

They've had the same treatment for a few years and seem to do very well on it.

I'd hate to throw them away in autumn.

Sand

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:04:17 »
Yes I do mean pelargoniums( not the hardy geraniums). Thanks for advice. Indoors they will come. I assume they would die in an unheated greenhouse as well?

YL

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:08:52 »
You could take the risk of having them in an unheated greenhouse especially if it was insulated.I left mine out in the garden in pots all winter and they all survived but I live in Surrey.Most important thing is to water very little.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal