Author Topic: Carrot problems?  (Read 2875 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
Carrot problems?
« on: September 18, 2007, 20:31:51 »
Hi guys and girls,

We have harvested the first of our main crop of carrots, some of which have which have grown to gigantic sizes, forked or have had carrot fly damage.

How have yours been this year? same problems, beaten the pests? or have the best carrots see ever?

Click here to see our Monster Carrots.

Other harvest this week include. The first swede and butternut squashes, beetroot, salads, and runner beans.

Regards
Lottieblogs

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Carrot problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 23:02:41 »
I was too keen with my carrots this year and thought that as I had planted in an old bin (never used as one though) which put them 2' above ground level that the dreaded fly wouldn't get them. 

well...  number 1 son liked to eat the thinnings which I was happy with as it meant he got some goodness and they didn't go to waste.  anyhooo, soon after we started this I noticed that some of the baby carrots were riddled with tunnels and the foliage turning a lovely red colour!

Oh well, that's a lesson learned for next year!  ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:42:17 »
My carrots in the bath worked again this year.  Should have had a bit more thinning than they got, but not a fly in sight.

Sowed about 6 varieties in short rows across the width of the bath but it's lucky dip as all the labels got bleached white.

Used a new mix of sieved compost and sand and covered in fleece as soon as they were sown.

Lost a few to slugs but that's it. 

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 07:08:07 »
Grew mine in dustbins too. Good crop with no problems. :D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:48:50 »
grew mine in any container I could find until some spare space on the land came free - old washing up bowls, crates, and even old bee hive brood boxes served me well and placed on top of compost bins - all good so far

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:43:39 »
interesting sounds like the peeps who didnt grow in the ground have been ok, but those direct in the soil have been affected.

maybe an old belfast sink could be used next year.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 14:19:53 »
I grew mine in the ground the they were fine did brillant compared to last year.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 14:36:35 »
best year EVER for me!
Randomly sprinkled in the ground, covered with a light layer of compost, fleece covered the whole time, and for the first time ever on my plot, lovely fly free tasty carrots! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 15:02:20 »
Same here Doris. You can't afford to let the little blighters get in. I haven't had a single carrot fly in 4 rows. Grew mine in zigzag too and that proved to be good. Gave the carrots a bit more room cos I sowed them thinly.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 19:49:32 »
I've had nibbles on some of mine but pretty good on the whole, tried fleecing but the wind blew to pieces.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 17:31:30 »
To avoid problems with carrot fly or stony ground, i planted Maestro F1 Hybrids in a 45 Gallon plastic drum containing bags of decent compost, and i have to say it worked a treat, no fly, no marks or blemish's, and apart from the odd wonky carrot, they were all pretty much nice and straight, and there must have been between 100 and 150 of varying sizes, so i don't think I'll change what seems to be a successful formula next season, i got the idea from one of those Welsh lottie holders on that T.V programme, not so long back but i can't think of the name. I'm glad i did though,  Andy
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 17:33:20 by andyc741 »
Thas a rummun !!

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 10:51:06 »
Can someone tell me where to find those plastic drums please? I would like to try carrots in one next year. By the way what do folk do about drainage in them?

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 12:17:05 »
Try a food manufacturer for the drums, they buy ingredients in bulk, using containers like the one i used, or an industrial company that has stored non- hazardous chemicals in them? As for drainage, i used a large core drill bit approx 2" Dia, to drill 12 or so holes in the base, and then used bits of bricks and stone to allow good drainage. Hope this helps. Andy  :)
Thas a rummun !!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 19:50:51 »
I've got two of them big plastic toy buckets with the rope handles lined up for my carrots next year, next door was going to throw them out so he asked me if they were any use, one of them's brand new. PFA in them this year and like Andy I drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage.         ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 21:43:22 »
I have been quite pleased with my carrots (first time growing) BUT although sown in
black buckets with all fresh compost how come I got quite a few weird shaped ones?
Misshaped. I thought it was stones etc that cause this. I grew them in loo rolls. No carrot fly.
Lorna

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 17:08:25 »
dug up some of the second sowing and the results are .... a lot better - straighter and also no carrot fly thus soil was better prepared and also flies had passed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal