Author Topic: A noob with a question  (Read 1001 times)

TheSmashingPumpkin

• Not So New ...
A noob with a question
« on: September 20, 2007, 21:00:49 »
Hi everyone,
I've just got my first allotment!!  :)

It's in pretty good shape as i was fortunate enough, that when i went and viewed my new 'overgrown' allotment the lady next door informed me that she wanted to give hers up. I asked her why and she said she just didn't have the time anymore.

Anyway i wont bore you with too many details but to cut a long story short....i got in touch with the council and they let me swap!!!  ;D

So now for my question.... I've cleared out most of the beds and I'm off to the farmer/stables at the weekend to sort out some manure. But...........i want to plant some garlic and some over winter onions.

If i do this should i just plant them in an empty bed (that had nothing in it last year apart from grass and weeds) and not bother with the manure or plant them and manure over the top??

TIA

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: A noob with a question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 21:14:21 »
Depends what you're thinking of putting on top. If the manure is well rotted, it wouldn't do any harm. It might do better though if you cover it over winter, and put it on in spring. that way none of the goodness will leach out over winter.

TheSmashingPumpkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 21:25:58 »
Thanks for that.
Much appreciated.

:)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 21:56:24 »
Hi and welcome to the site.

deffinately don't put the manure on if it's still fresh - it can scorch plants which is why you need to leave it to rot down.

If you do get some manure, add it to your compost heap to help it to rot down.  depending on the type of weeds you may be able to add these to your compost heap too - but to be sure not to add perenial weeds or weeds that are seeding as the compost heap may not get hot enough to destroy these.  You'd be better off putting these in a black bin bag and leaving this to rot down until spring and add it to your heap then.

hope this helps
Su
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

TheSmashingPumpkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 13:37:59 »
Thanks SnooziSuzi

That was most helpful.

:)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 14:39:05 »
hiya, and welcome
we dig pits for cucumbers, squash and runners overwinter, we fill the cuc and squash pits with muck,and cover with the soil we took out, it rots down over winter,
the runner bean trench we fill with all the veggie bits, crumpled newspaper and some unrotted muck, when it's full, we cover it over and it sits there 'til the beans are ready to go in  ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 16:41:21 »
sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread, pumkin :-[
but a quick question: manics, how do you stop rats etc eating all the kitchen waste in your bean trench before it's covered over?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 16:58:40 »
it's only the veggie waste, it's covered up with a piece of plastic between fill ups..never had a problem with rats in the trench, only the compost bin  :)

TheSmashingPumpkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 18:06:24 »
Cheers guys some great tips.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal