Author Topic: Help Wanted ....  (Read 9241 times)

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Help Wanted ....
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 15:05:44 »
I like the layout ken  :) It gets my thumbs up  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 15:20:20 »
thumbs up from me, too!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2007, 19:55:00 »
Sounds good Ken, just wish it was up n running before I forget where my Sept pics are. 

;) ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2007, 21:07:01 »
Me too, Carol....I'm sure Dan's got his thinking cap on regarding this, and as I said, other forums run by visitors to A4A are already using the ideas I've put forward! (Naughty or nice?) But as soon as Dan has time I'm sure the September comp will make a start.
 I'm sure the 'new' suggestions I've mentioned will be popular regardless of who organises it and I'm certainly going to be part of it as organiser or contributor. I love to see pic's of the variety we have had to-date.
 Here's hoping for many more.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 17:52:01 »
Looks to me as if kenkew was the only candidate for the job. if i had known about it i might've offered my services. Then again perhaps not, as i am probably more badly organised than Dan was (no offence Dan). At least ken seems fairly well organised with the competition, even if i dont exactly agree with his Ideas for taking it forward.

Can anyone tell me (since I clearly missed it), was there any sort of consultation concerning the categories for the new look competition. Or have they just been decided on by ken?

Plenty of support for the competions in the past? I beg to differ there. On occasions only a handfull of members bothered to enter, myself being one of them.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 18:02:01 »
The suggested format must be of interest, there are 3 other sites I know of that have people who visit here and who have 'borrowed' the idea and introduced it into their sites already!
 :-X

But do we really want to be like all the rest ken? A4All is (or maybe was) the best so we should be different.

Here are my suggestions for alternative categories. Ones that might be less confusing to some folks:-

1) Plants, Flowers Gardens and Plots (ie anything 'Horticultural')
2) Animals and wildlife (anything from pets to farm animals to wild creatures)
3) People (portraits, candid camera shots, crowds etc)
4) Other (anything else not covered above - objects, machines, landscapes etc)

Could be open ended or monthly (but not nessesarily taken in that month).

TA DA!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 18:04:17 by Garden Apprentice »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 18:27:31 »
Ken and I discussed the format, and we agreed to try this one.

I'm sure as time goes by the format will be tweaked!

The plea for help was posted for quite some time before ken was chosen, so anyone could have volunteered....

Cheers

Dan

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 22:04:44 »
The suggested format must be of interest, there are 3 other sites I know of that have people who visit here and who have 'borrowed' the idea and introduced it into their sites already!
 :-X

But do we really want to be like all the rest ken? A4All is (or maybe was) the best so we should be different.

I took what Ken had written to mean 3 other sites had copied the ideas Ken had put forward.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2007, 22:45:30 »
Ken
I like the idea of splitting up the categories, but I think plants/flowers perhaps deserve a category of their own.
However, what concerns me at the moment is that we have so many competitions going on at the same time. Voting for Life1, Scenes 1 and Themes 1 is still going on? and yet entries are now requested for version 2 and we do not yet have a 'winner' of the first batch. How many contributions were you planning for each month? I think it would be preferable to have a competition each month for each category. We do not all have the time or opportunity to take a picture of one let alone three categories which is good enough to enter several times a month. 
However, I am prepared to try but cannot guaratee quality, perhaps you could have a rethink on the frequency.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2007, 22:47:32 »
Ken
I should have added that I like the idea on the Themes 1 vote that voting trends are not shown. Could you do this for all the categories. Unfortunately voting trends often influence those who have yet to vote.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2007, 23:04:49 »
Ken
I should have added that I like the idea on the Themes 1 vote that voting trends are not shown. Could you do this for all the categories. Unfortunately voting trends often influence those who have yet to vote.

Yes, i think that would be a good idea aswell  :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 01:14:34 »
Ken

However, what concerns me at the moment is that we have so many competitions going on at the same time. Voting for Life1, Scenes 1 and Themes 1 is still going on? and yet entries are now requested for version 2 and we do not yet have a 'winner' of the first batch. How many contributions were you planning for each month? I think it would be preferable to have a competition each month for each category.

I agree 100% with this.  It seemed more special to have one a month.

I completely disagree with this.  My choice has never been influenced by the voting trends that are shown.  Leave it as it is I say and have faith that people have a mind of their own.  :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 09:42:56 »
The contest will settle down into a more steady flow very shortly. In fact 2 of them close today. We have a few underway to begin with to test how the different categories would go.
 After this week, although there will be variety, there won't be quite so many running at once but I do want to try and keep parts of the contest continually active be it submitting or voting.

The 'hidden' voting method is just one option and like the rest of the new format, it's a case of finding what's popular and what's not.

Could I ask that further contest queries by placed in the Contest comments section of Photo Talk to help keep all the contest questions and suggestions in the one place?

Thanks for all the input towards improving the contest(s).
Ken.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:44:40 by kenkew »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal