Author Topic: Lawn cuttings as a mulch  (Read 2574 times)

seebee

Lawn cuttings as a mulch
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:04 »
Have just moved into a house with a big garden - plums, greengages, damsons, pears ,apples and a fruit cage. Also have 3 veg patches. Am growing a few things at the moment but as the soil is clay, need to dig in lots of compost. Can I use Lawn clippings straight onto the soil and then wait for a few days and then dig them in? I have got a compost heap and it is growing by the day with weeds being added.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lawn cuttings as a mulch
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:52:10 »
Yes... next year use them to earth up potatoes, you can get a good thatch along the ridge which keeps in moisture and keeps out light!
 ;D

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:58:03 »
Was watching re-runs (or would they be reused??) GW programmes on Sky a few weeks ago and they said to put down some wet newspaper first and then the grass.  I've yet to do it but it sounds plausible.

One of the old guys on the allotments said to me that he never puts grass into his composter because it was too sharp...  Not really sure what he meant by that though and I still put it in mine along with every thing else!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:00:19 »
Make sure the lawn wasn't treated with feed and weed.  I pile fresh cuttings around the base of the trees in my orchard. I have also in the past dug it in fresh on a new bed, but I did not plant it for a month, no problems as long as it is short grass with no seed heads.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 18:04:17 »
As my plot was new to me this year - I had to use whatever I could get hold of to improve the soil.  I used copius amounts of lawn clippings and horse pooh to mulch my beans and courgettes etc....  I cleared away the beans yesterday and the soil is fantastic! 

The chap next to me is a brilliant old guy = a professional gardener by trade (retired) but his plot is totally devoid of any mulch or compost - he either burns it or takes it to the dump!!!!  What a waste!  Oh! - and he digs for England - wheras mine is no dig - other than the flipping couch grass which still pops up here and there.

All my mulching has kept the water in and the nutrients are getting returned to the soil.  I can't wait till the compost heap is ready to spread!!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:42:17 »
If you have a shredder it's worth mixing the paper shreds in with your lawn cuttings in the compost - helps aerate the cuttings and stops them getting slimy. Also meant to achieve some sort of chemical balance but can't remember what!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 21:29:16 »
Also meant to achieve some sort of chemical balance but can't remember what!

Good tip!  I believe that the paper would help to neutralise the nitrogen in the grass clippings; it's classed as 'brown' waste for the compo bin so would probably serve a similar purpose as mulch.
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 15:30:23 »
Also meant to achieve some sort of chemical balance but can't remember what!

Good tip!  I believe that the paper would help to neutralise the nitrogen in the grass clippings; it's classed as 'brown' waste for the compo bin so would probably serve a similar purpose as mulch.

Grass contains lots of nitrogen (and water)
paper contains lots of carbon (and no water)

The bugs that compost the paper and grass need carbon,  nitrogen and water.

If you don't provide carbon the grass goes slimy and anaerobic (ugh)
If you don't provide nitrogen the paper remains uncomposted for ages until the nitrogen-fixing Azotobacter start to grow (yawn)
Nothing composts without water.

Sorry,  I just happened to know that
Good gardening!

John

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 15:51:47 »
Thanks Clayhithe - 'tis as I should have remembered  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal