Author Topic: strawberrrys  (Read 1105 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
strawberrrys
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:35 »
how do i over winter my strawberry plants?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: strawberrrys
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:04:32 »
Where are they?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:16:00 »
Best to let them get exposed to the cold - you may feel they're a bit tender, but they're not - they're tough as old boots!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:37:05 »
 tartonterro hope you don't mind me coming in on your thread.            I was going to ask same question, I started off with just 6 plants in a trough have recently "pegged" in to pots some runners. Thought I would leave them near the back wall of the bungalow which never seems to get the heavy frosts. Will they be OK please?
Lorna

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:46:28 »
Thy'll be fine - if they are in pots, then they do need to be near a wall or something in case there are really heavy frosts. If strawbs in pots get wet and the roots freeze, they really don't like it. If your strawbs are in open ground, they'll be fine.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 13:31:54 »
hard as nails are stramberries mine ae crazy as well  : ::)they think they are super strawbs they have burst into flower and are fruiting again. i want to thin them out and reduce the patch but havn,t the heart to do it until they have finished
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 15:05:25 »
they must be re-fruiting types! Mine are Mara des Bois and Cijoree and they have given me a beautiful second crop, with this late summer sun the fruit are red and sweet. Strawberry is very tough, mine were planted in March just before a very cold snap and they were the first thing in the garden to give me a harvest! Mine are on black plastic so I will just tidy them up after this crop, take off the nets and leave them to it.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 17:20:33 »
Many thanks, will give some protection to the pots if heavy frost is forecast.
Lorna

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 19:23:56 »
Old Sid on the next plot has strawberrys sprouting again. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:32:10 »
I want to move my strawberries from their bed to containers - is this the right time ti do it or should I wait until spring?
Is there anything special I should do to them on moving day?
Feeding or anything? :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:49:32 »
After they have finished fruiting, you can take them out of the greenhouse, and leave them out in the winter.  For some reason, if strawberries get a good hard frost on their crowns, they will fruit better.  If you grow them in terracotta pots, be careful the frost doesn't shatter them.  But strawberries are tough plants, and will suffer transplanting, and moving about from broken pots to new ones.

You may find that the leaves of your plants look dead or dying.  Do not worry, as they do that, and you only have to take the dead ones off the plant.  During the winter, leave them on, as the plant is dormant, and it wont hurt it.  When you notice new growth in the spring, take the dead leaves off your plant, and make sure it is well watered, and remember to keep moss, and weeds off your plants.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal