Author Topic: Bad omen or are there witches in the neighbourhood?  (Read 4625 times)

scotch-mist

• Acre
Re: Bad omen or are there witches in the neighbourhood?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 23:32:54 »
SnooziSuzi,
                I had only let her out seconds before she was hit and rang the vet at home to meet me at the surgery,she was seen about 5 minutes later and he told me that although she was still alive that he said that she was brain dead and wasnt suffering. He said that she would not have felt a thing, thanks for asking.

Emaggie,
               Cats can be funny like that, they do tend to choose their owner, I felt sorry for the scrawniest wild cat I have seen and started feeding him. My own cats tried to chase him off, so I fed them in the porch and him outside for months.
He would have let me get close but never touch him, until one night he came right up to my back door limping.  He allowed me to lift him into the cat carrier and take him to the vet, who told me he had a broken back leg, and the only way to save him was to take his leg off. I said that I would pay for this.
          He asked me how old he was and when I said that he was a wild cat he told me that he would never be tame and that as soon as he was better he would likely run wild again . The other stray cats would attack him and the next time he was on the road he would be too slow to get out of cars way, and maybe suffer next time.
    God, I cried buckets over that wee cat, I felt so guilty putting him to sleep after him trusting me.
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 23:56:57 »
What a horrible thing to happen SM, but the vet was right. At least you saved him from suffering any more. I can't bear to think how he would have suffered if you hadn't taken him to the vet.
Smile, it confuses people.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 00:02:36 »
Oh!! don't say that!   My mother had an almost pure black cat until recently (aptly, and somewhat obviously called Sweep).

Sweep had 4 legs to start with, and then after 2 nasty incidents involving cars he had 3, but managed to get along fine.  I should point out at this moment that they chose him because when they went to the pet shop to choose him he was the only one hanging upside down on the top of the cage!   

Sadly, he died after having had a very adventurous and full life last year.  My parents were devastated, he was as much family as my sister and I.  I don't think that he suffered though.

I too had a fun loving cat, Cleo, who went away one day and didnt come back. 

I think that my point through all of this is that no matter what we feel about cats, they see things differently.

I was watching a re-run (I think) of Meerkat Manor where Lola had been bitten by a snake and she limped home.  She didnt make a sound to let on that she was in pain because by doing so she would have alerted the local wildlife who would have picked her off in an instant.  instead she silently made it home to her burrow.  This makes me believe whoelheartedly that animals, through instinct and primeval knowledege, dont or can't feel pain, so please don;t let it prey on your mind that she suffered

I do know how hard it is, even though I haven't articulated it very well in this message (d**n the 3/4 bottle of semillon chardonay!!) I do know the pain you are going through.

Have a good cry about it when you need to, but always know that we are there when you need us..  :)
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 00:04:38 »
BTW I also think there is something in Cat Karma....

We feed a neglected 'pet' from across the way and he always seems appreciatve of the food, so in our way we are giving back to the big cat in the sky...
SnooziSuzi

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 00:11:31 »
You've no idea what a sucker I am for injured animals  ::)
Oh has threatened to keep me indoors from now on, as I break my heart every time I can't save something.
I also have a habit of bringing only the scrawniest creatures I can find home and now my boys are doing the same.

Mind you , theirs are usually beasties :P     e.g a spider with 7 legs or a woodlice that looks lonley  ::) ;D ;D ;D

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 00:18:11 »
hehe,  I usually have to save the rest of the family from the 6+ legged beasties!! 

I'm simply not scared of them, in fact I find them cute and fascinating. 

I'd adopt anything that came within spying distance of the hosue too, which OH isn't too keen on...  spoilsport!
SnooziSuzi

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 00:23:31 »
He he he
You'd love my boys :P
They bring home enough beasties to fill an insect house at the zoo :o
         I don't mind that so much as they then want to eat dinner without washing their hands ;D ;D ;D

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 00:28:39 »
hehe, builds character I think!
SnooziSuzi

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 00:40:53 »
My character or theirs?

I'm convinced they will be in a medical journal some time soon, as the first carriers of bubonic plague this century ::)  ;D ;D ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 12:53:12 »
Suzie,

I have a toad in my garden if you ever need to borrow one.

Scotch,

Bubonic plague is alive & well in Mongolia where it is rife in the population of thingies related to badgers.  They are apparently very tatsy & people there catch the plage by eating infected animals, but you have to eat a lot I'm told.  You're boys will be fine and have a cracking immune system.

In Scotland we plant a rown tree in front of the door to keep witches away, and as it says in Burns' Tam o' Shanter

There, at them thou thy tail may toss,
A running stream they dare na cross.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 10:03:34 »

In Scotland we plant a rown tree in front of the door to keep witches away, and as it says in Burns' Tam o' Shanter

Who needs a tree when ya got the...WIFE...witches, doubleglazing .......you name it she will stop it, as it says in Nottingham  Bugger off I'm not interested. ;)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 10:22:14 »

Mind you , theirs are usually beasties :P     e.g a spider with 7 legs

In my house Scotchmist, I regularly get 7 legged spiders and a few days later, money comes through that I'm not expecting! It may only be a few quid here and there, but it happens time and time again!

;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 11:21:50 »
whoa! now that you mention it I've been 'relocating' the big hairy house spiders from various places in my house to the great out doors, and I've had loads of money coming in that I wasn't expecting!

maybe there is something in this spooky lark after all!
SnooziSuzi

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 12:26:13 »
our bobcat is a black(ish) cat many black looking cats have a few white hairs
somewhere I,v read this is because only 100% black cats were regarded as witches cats so they tried to wipe them out  :o so the decendents of the ones that got away have inherited the white hairs
there, you found it hard to live without that piece of useless info didn,t you?
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 12:39:03 »
are you sure the white hairs aren't because they were being wiped out, marg.. ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 12:43:02 »
not sure of anything any more manics have to keep checking what month it is let alone what day :-\
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal