Author Topic: Mevagissey  (Read 6182 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Mevagissey
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 12:19:20 »
Polkerris is between Par and Fowey a little further away from Pentewan (Pronounced - Pen chewan).
Pentewan beach consists mainly of clay waste deposits (much like Carlyon Bay Beach) and is man made. The white River (named that coz of it's milky colour from the clay) ran all the way from the English China Clay quarries in St Austell out to Pentewan beside the harbour.

Although most people who drive through Indian Queens know it as the junction to drive to Newquay
from the A30, this village has an interesting name and history.
Indian Queens derives it's name from Pocahontas who was said to have stayed in a local inn.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 12:22:39 »
Another bit of useless info... ;D

Daphne Du Maurier (Author) use to live not far from Polkerris and collected her stamps etc from the little post office in Par.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 08:49:14 »
When i was trawling (many years ago) we always tried to get a night in mevvy, the odd pint,a DECENT meal and a nights sleep, then fish our way back to plymouth over 2 days for the sat market.

purpledaisy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 17:55:28 »
Lovely photos. I grew up in St. Ives and I always get a bit nostalgic when people talk about Cornwall - especially now that I live in Manchester and I'm so far away from the sea! No offence to any Mancunians out there...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 17:57:27 »
Lovely photos. I grew up in St. Ives and I always get a bit nostalgic when people talk about Cornwall - especially now that I live in Manchester and I'm so far away from the sea! No offence to any Mancunians out there...

don't worry, pd..we're near manchester but see Cornwall as home  ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 09:07:17 »
Nice part of the world. On this day..... one year ago..... got married!!!
Went down to Boswinger nr St austell to start honeymoon ;D
Recognise some of those pictures too...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 15:53:22 »
congratulations on your paper anniversary, Andy H..what a lovely place to get married  ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 17:36:34 »
I put a sheet of A4 in an envelope and gave it to her ;D
Got that look....... :-X
So got her another MP3 as requested!!!

We didn`t actually get married in cornwall but on the bluebell steam railway which is on here somewhere! But a great location to start honeymoon

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 17:46:11 »
i am amazed that you had your honeymoon in Boswinger as that is the hamlet i lived in as a child.  the holiday flats in the middle used to be a big farm yard where my dad worked as a cow man. we lived about a hundred yards from there on the bend as you go toward the sea. there used to be a youth hostel opposite but i am not sure if it is still a youth hostel. i spent my summers at Hemmick beach at the bottom of the hill.  those were the days.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 19:13:05 »
Amazing! I think the B&B was near the youth hostel, then round the corner and downwards to the beach.
Only about 4 people on it then but went there the other day on a spin in the boat from chichester to boswinger and anchored up to take pics and eat a hotcan.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 19:30:06 »
it looks so small now. it was my whole world back then. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal