Author Topic: Courgettes in the greenhouse  (Read 2675 times)

Two Choices

• Acre
Courgettes in the greenhouse
« on: August 21, 2007, 17:27:09 »
Has anybody out there grown them in the greenhouse to try and increase the season?  I used to know a chap that grew his first few indoors to get an early start. :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Courgettes in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 17:29:31 »
I have put some in a large cold frame, and some in the big greenhouse... to try to extend the season a bit... sowed on 30th July... growing away really well, almost as big as the ones we planted out at the start of June...
 ::)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 17:34:42 »
I used to grow them in the GH and they were about 3 weeks earlier than those outside.  Next year I'll grow some in the polytunnel, and have bought the T&M seed Venus which is a compact plant and should take up less room. Never thought of sowing in July for a later crop - might give that a try next year if we have space.
The Tuscan Beaneater

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 18:35:46 »
Yes!

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 19:58:59 »
Wow! they look really healthy Tim, when did you plant them?   Can I also ask what the floor of your GH is covered with?

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 20:27:56 »
thats it Tim I am now officially evicting you from your geenhouse and lottie do not touch anything cos im moving in and im gonna tell em i grew em HEE HEE  ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 22:23:02 »
oh wow !  i think i am in lurve !  :-*
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:03:10 »
1. 18 April (2004)
2. Pick 20 June.
3. Wood shavings to bind the soggy clay base. We now use white plastic as a reflector.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 13:44:31 »
I cram my g/h with as many courgettes, patty pans, squashes and melons as I can fit in mainly as a 'just in case the outdoor ones fail' but now do it routinely just to get them quicker

HO

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 22:24:49 »
Very impressed by your photo, Tim! Lacking only an automatic watering system! I only ever plant one or two courgettes in the poytunnel as you get so many fruits. I back up with a couple of plants outside. They are much earlier inside but always get bad greymould or botrytis on the leaves as they age. They still fruit! Any ideas about the mould or has anyone grown, in a polytunnel, a variety that is in any way mould resistant?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 07:00:11 »
Sorry - missed that one.

Don't know, except that good ventilation, complete hygiene & careful removal of all infected leaves are vital.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 14:43:00 »
Hi Two Choices

I have 3 plants in my polytunnel!  They were the climbing variety!  WOW they have been cropping heavily for 3 months now!  Still going very strong  One has climbed to 6 foot back down again and is now trailing on the floor the others have been up back down and are also trailing.  Fabulous results - Need loads and loads of water and I used a fertilizer bag of seaweed in the water for occasional feeding.  I have been feeding my office of 17 people on courgettes all summer - most of them are still happily taking them and they are not the "small" courgettes these are all very big courgettes and small marrow size! 

T'other thing that is doing really well are aubergines - loads and loads of small ones - not sure if they will grow a lot more but probably should have fed them.

Old Bird
 ;)
Peppers are also doing very well!

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 18:48:32 »
Hi Old Bird
Which variety of climber are you using? I ve seen one in T&M but at 4 seeds for over two pounds it dosn't allow for much of a failure rate.
I can't seem to grow Aubergines, the flowers come, a small fruit develops and then the lot falls off. Same result 3 tears in a row.  ???

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:56:07 »
Hi two choices!

Can't remember - only got 'puter at work so will look when I go home!  Pretty much every seed sets on courgettes though - don't think that i have ever had a failure!

Dangerous talk I know.  Will look it up although 'defender' is in my brain - but being an old bird could be anything!  I am pretty sure it was a Thomson & Morgan one though.  Picked three more this morning!

Let you know after I have been home!

Old Bird

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal