Author Topic: grape hyacinth  (Read 1371 times)

mike quinn

grape hyacinth
« on: September 11, 2007, 15:54:21 »
I have been trying for years to get rid of these, I dig up the bulbs, every time I see one of their leaves showing, but they seem to be indestructible , any ideas please

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: grape hyacinth
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 17:45:05 »
Ditto. same here Mike, appear in my gravelled front garden If only my plants that I want grew as well as this!!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 23:08:49 »
I like grape hyacinths, why do you want to get rid of them rather pretty i think. I left such a lot behind when we moved hope the other peeps don`t pull them out.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 23:58:46 »
I love them too. Eyed them up in Tescos yesterday, 2 packs for a fiver. (50 bulbs).
Smile, it confuses people.

beth23

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:06 »
Hi Mike,

The only way of ridding yourself of these lovely little thugs is to let them come up, flower, then after that spray the foliage once a week with a glyphosate-based weedkiller like roundup or weedol.  This is the time of year when the bulb is trying to store any leftover goodness from its leaves, so will hopefully take down some poison too - doing it before flowering is pointless, as everything is rising from the bulb then, not going back down.  It worked in my dad's garden, which was FULL of them, like grass.  It took weekly applications for two seasons though...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal