Author Topic: Storms  (Read 2200 times)

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Storms
« on: June 24, 2004, 06:57:35 »
I hope nobody suffered too much with the storms, it's still blowing a gale here and will be until this afternoon, I'm on the coast so it's extra hard.  All my hanging petunias are sitting on the ground with their hands on their heads getting a real battering, poor things.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Storms
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 07:59:33 »
Sob! All me lovely poppies laid low,and me canterbury bells and foxgloves,most of em!

Some trees taken a bashing too! The poor old birds are starving too,extra rations needed,the pheasants are drenched,poor things! Toots

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 13:29:50 »
The garden is a wreck! The tree just behind the greenhouse broke off a few branches just missing it. All my taller flowers are flat...stakes an' all. Anything not tied down now has a new home!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 13:40:07 »
One of my bags with a spud growing in blew over and tipped half the soil out. Several other small pots blew over, but look pretty much undamaged. The pop bottles put over the delphiniums to keep the snails off mostly blew off. So I now have a diminished stock of delphs  :'( Said pop bottles are now floating in the pond, which is about the overflow. Since we filled it, nearly three weeks ago, the water level dropped about 4-5inches due to the heat. Good job we left a couple of inches to spare at the top. Now there's about half an inch before it overflows.

Other than that, I think we've got off lightly.
gone to pot :D

JAL

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 22:55:23 »
Hi,

I haven't been down to my allotment - too scared - my prize winning chrysanthamums will probably be wrecked along with my old rickety greenhouse - not going down until Saturday - I will then have time to try and repair some of the damage.  Oh well another challenge.

jal

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 00:05:42 »
I haven't been down the allotment all week. I dread to think where my cane's have ended up. If I manage to get up early enough, I might venture down there tomorrow morning before work. Otherwise I won't get out till sunday.

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 06:11:54 »
Oh! dear, sorry to hear about the damage everyone, it's still like Chicago here and dark and miserable, my neighbours getting married today as well what a pity!

The streptocarpus have folded themselves up [clever little things] but the petunias and and robinia are looking very sorry for themselves.  Let's hope a few nice sunny days will repair some of the damage......for the rest you'll need a hammer!

Has anyone seen my neighbours party tent? it was last seen heading in your direction!

mellie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 14:51:50 »
I hate the weather! :(

I have lost :-

My greenhouse
My shed door
My runner beans
Some of my tomato plants &
maybe my peppers and jalapinos as well

wind blew and my greenhouse came down taking all my seedlings with it  :'(

Hope I can salvage something at the weekend. At least my cabbages were o.k :)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 15:04:33 »
Mellie and everyone else,so sorry to hear of your losses of plants and equipment in the storms.

Hope weather improves giving us some respite.

Toots :-\

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 22:04:56 »
So sorry to hear about peoples' losses in the storm. Makes me realise I got off lightly - mainly climbing roses which came loose. I now bear the scars of tieing them up again!

Here in Fife the wind came from the east, when it's usually from the west, and the odd thing was that although it wasn't nearly as strong as some westerlies we've had, it blew things around much more. Perhaps everything grows stronger on its western side to compensate.

Thought I'd finally lost a hollyhock which a friend gave me about four years ago but which I don't much like. I hoped it would get rust and die but it's disgustingly healthy and grows about 8 feet tall every year. It blew over but the stem didn't break. Better luck next time.

Sue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal