Author Topic: Sweetcorn..Ripe?  (Read 6911 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Sweetcorn..Ripe?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 13:12:52 »
no fair, been away from my plot for 2 weeks and the sweetcorn is no ready yet stuck my finger in and its squirted yellow water!!

(pulled a carrot and courgette instead though)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 19:41:57 »
Sorry Cam I took four home with me this afternoon and a couple of beetroots.  :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 19:07:41 »
You can tell when they're ripe because the rats will have been feasting on them! Lost nearly all mine to the rats, super sweet ones as well (the corn not the rats....), the ones they left they still nibbled, and moved on to another when they discovered it wasn't ripe. Did rescue some though and they were delicious, my best ever.

Anyone got any thoughts on rat deterrent (other than poisoning, or is this permissible when it comes to rats?!)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 20:20:18 »
Rats were eating mine Mike, so I put 2 litre (bottom cut) plastic bottles on them as recommened on another thread, seems to be working OK. A few of the old boys on site asked if I was growing lemonade.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 13:46:03 »
Thanks, Cornykev, I missed that thread, but it sounds like a great idea. Just got to convince the kids that our reluctance to give them copious quantities of 'fizz' was misplaced, and that it's now OK - to protect Dad's sweetcorn crop! Alternatively, I may have to turn to copious quanties of cheap cider instead. Mmmmmm........tough choice. Still, a year to go before I need them so, lead me to it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal