Author Topic: Sweetcorn..Ripe?  (Read 6910 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Sweetcorn..Ripe?
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:57:33 »
First time of growing. Tassels have turned brown so thought I would pick one. The cob has formed OK but a very pale colour (between off white and cream) Have I picked it too early, shouldn't it be much deeper colour (yellow?.) Several more cobs to pick but don't want to make mistake by picking more.
Lorna.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Sweetcorn..Ripe?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 13:39:47 »
Depends on the variety, some are very yellow, some are paler, some are white and some are a bi colour ..some yellow and some white kernels on the same cob , if you know the type I can tell you probably. They would be paler if immature, Stick your finger nail in a kernel, if it squirts a milky fluid it is ready, if not it needs a bit longer. Eat the one you have anyway but picking too early especially on some types the flavour will be watery. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 13:49:33 »
Jeannine. Yes does give milky fluid. Ink on label has washed off (won't happen next year bought a label writer :)) However just looked in my seed tin and I had saved the packet,  miracle F1, the pic on front of packet shows quite deep yellow. harvest Aug or Sept. Any useful info?
Lorna.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 13:56:17 »
Then I would say it is immature, also the cob kernels might be smaller and not full up to the end, but if it is good, then I would eat it. I pulled one today too, but the cob was small, pale and underdone.You don't have to pull it to test it. When the cobs are still on the plant, gently peel a little of the husk away, and take a peep and have a squeeze, the milky will be very white when ready XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 14:10:58 »
Many thanks Jeannine. The cob I picked is 8cms long and kernels to the end Will leave them for a little while longer. Ah the milk wasn't really white.
Lorna

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 15:27:26 »
Dont forget that your sweetcorn begin to turn their sugar into starch soon after picking so they need to be eaten sooner rather than later
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 15:41:20 »
Thanks Fork.  Didn't know that, I do like them so want to try and get things right. Haven't got many this year but would like to grow more next year.
Lorna

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 18:08:38 »
Lorna,
Please don't use this year's seeds next year. Like parsnip seeds etc., they don't germinate too well.
Fork's advice is excellent, pick 'em & straight into the pot then butter & pepper!
Enjoy!
 :D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 18:16:41 »
Hi tellboy. I know I keep on but is it because the ones I have are f1 (that I shouldn't save seed)? Or does it apply to all sweetcorn seed? Still trying to learn even at my age :). Many thanks.
Lorna.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 18:26:13 »
Saving Sweetcorn seeds yourself is a tricky business... isolation ( because wind pollinated) inbreeding so you need a lot of plants etc.. I'd leave it to the experts!
 :-\

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 18:52:22 »
If you do take a peek, DO cover up completly afterwards, or the 'wigs will be in!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 21:13:14 »
No, don't save your seed, I wouldn't unless a very old precious variety and isolation is pure. Regarding cooking, supersweets will hold a few days after picking as they are bred  for that reason , but don't if you don't have to, sugar enhanced will last a wee while, perhaps a couple of days but not as long as supersweets and regular corn wether hybrid ot heirloom will not hold at all, in fact the US folks say, put the water on to boil, stroll to the corn patch, pick your corn and run back to the kitchen to drop it into the pot. Cook same day for sure.

Another way to cook, is to leave the husk on, microwave in husk 3 minutes, then peel and enjoy, nothing lost in the water  and no need to use plastic wrap.

Your Miracle F1 is a sugar enhanced one by the way.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 21:17:36 by Jeannine »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 23:24:34 »
Many thanks to one and all. I was just curious for reason for not saving seed. Have taken note of all advice, rather fancy the microwave method of cooking. Will let you know how I get on.
Lorna.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 19:57:08 »
As I picked my first cob today, I will try Jeannine's microwave method.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 20:35:55 »
I normally microwave naked, that's the corn not me, so I might give Jeannines idea a go, lets hope theres no wigs in there, and the old seeds a new one on me I thought it was just parsnip seed that didn't keep, can someone please confirm.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 21:21:46 »
Sweetcorn seeds are good for at least two seasons. And they freeze without too much loss of flavour -but eat them this year.

They are nice on a barbie as well

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 13:37:52 »
I got 100% germination from Extra Early Sweet F1 seeds bought last year, so I would say give it a go if there are left-over seeds.

Microwaving it in husk sounds very good idea. I'm going to try that method. :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 16:24:08 »
Cheers for that.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 19:16:51 »
Well, in the end I decided to micro without the husk in a covered container, as I reckoned that it would be easier to remove all the bits of the "silk" while the corn was cold rather than hot.
In any event, it was superb!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 21:01:09 »
Corn seed is good for about 2 years  and then rapidly deteriorates, I buy mine about every 4 years as I buy in bulk but on the third year I oversow.

My personal view on saving corn seed is that it has to be well and truly dry to store, also the kernels need to be a decent size, I just don't think it is worth the effort,as it is with other seeds like beans and toms etc.

Just a personal view though,and as it is quite cheap to buy I wouldn't bother with this one unless a very rare kind.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal