Author Topic: storing manure?  (Read 1301 times)

Ted_H

• Not So New ...
  • Who says non organic won't harm you !!
storing manure?
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:25:11 »
Whats the best way to store my supply of manure ?
Its currently in about 10 old plastic compost bags and kept in a corner of the allotment.
Should I keep it like this until its ready or do I need to tip it out into a pile, its too fresh I think to use straight away.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: storing manure?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 13:43:23 »
For storing manure, compost, soil etc. I don't think you can beat the throw-away builder's bulk sandbags. They are free, readily available and easy to carry and store.

Here's my manure arrived on August Bank Holiday and already the front bag has only about one wheelbarrow left but the bags do keep things fairly tidy.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 15:31:53 »
Keeping it in the bags might help it to *Cook* quicker.   ;D

Lauren  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 16:16:16 »
1. Agree about the big bags for the short term, but  they  are biodegradable. And plastic sacks will fall apart in your hands after a while - just when you don't want that!

2. Although the big ones drain rain, it would be better to cover them to prevent leaching?

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 17:23:05 »
I usually put any manure in my "dalek" compost bins early in the season and as soon as I have any empty ground like after lifting the onions I cover that in manure this helps keep the weeds down and lets the worms start taking it in the ground for you.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 00:25:54 »
Tim, I use those bags all the time without any adverse effects. Manure tends to get used very quickly but the bags are immediately refilled. The bags with the compost in remain filled throughout the year to be briefly emptied before the next lot gets turned into it. Given that nothing lasts forever, we should maybe consider replacing them on a 3-5 year cycle but then the expense is killing me.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 09:15:36 »
Not knocking the big ones - just mentioning the maker's spec.

We use them all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal