Author Topic: Sweet Peas  (Read 1454 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Sweet Peas
« on: September 09, 2007, 18:43:23 »
I have decided to have a go at growing sweet peas next year any good tips out there please would be more than welcome.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: Sweet Peas
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 18:49:03 »
planted sweet peas for the 1st time this year myself - and from the display ive got i dont think theres much you could do with these plants that will stop you getting a good show out of them - planted in a bit of shallow ground i topped up with some multi purpose compost, jst gave them a bit water with either liquid plant feed or tomato feed depending on what i was watering - and they have come away a treat - covered in flowers and smelling amazing.
all i did was follow the instructions on the pack.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 22:39:05 »
To obtain early flowers sweet peas are best sown in pots / root trainers / cardboard tubes or similar in approx mid October. The compost should not contain many nutrients . As soon as the seedlings are approx half an inch high they are placed outside in a cold frame. There is no need to cover them as they are very winter hardy. The aim is not to molly coddle them to encourage them to develop as strong seedlings. When the plants have about 3-5 pairs of leaves the growing tip is pinched out to encourage branching. The seedlings are planted into their prepared flowering position in March/April when conditions are suitable
Seeds can also be sown in Jan in pots in the GH and kept in a cool but light position and then planted out in April/May after the tips have been pinched out. They can also be sown directly in their flowering position in April/May.
They should always be provided with a support to scramble up and this should be at least six feet high. Sweet peas can be grown as cordons and this produces fewer but bigger and stronger flowers particularly for showing.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 18:51:54 »
Taking over my life now, can not stop buying the seed for them now bring on next year thats what i say.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 20:46:45 »
When I sowed mine this year, I soaked them first in warm water on paper towel and left them untill they germinated (couple days).

Lauren  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 10:29:12 »
More information here; http://tinyurl.com/2xhd44

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal