Author Topic: creating an asparagus bed from an ex-couch grass site  (Read 2797 times)

anthea

• Not So New ...
creating an asparagus bed from an ex-couch grass site
« on: September 03, 2007, 21:22:15 »
Any advice please?

At the weekend I finally reached the end of digging out couch grass, docks and bindweed from my half-allotment. I've decided to use the part where the soil is best (though not brilliant) for asparagus and strawberries, but, having raked over the soil today and seen how many little shoots of grass are already trying to spring up,  am wondering how realistic it is to think I'll be ready to plant asparagus this spring, and if it is realistic, how best to prepare the soil.

My plan, after lots of reading and thinking,  had been to sew some phacelia so I could let it cover the area and die down by late winter, ready for me to dig it in, with some manure, which by then would have had 6 months to mature, ready for me to plant some asparagus during early spring.  (I've got these ideas from reading and talking to people; if anyone has a better idea, I'm very open to hearing it).

BUT, having seen all those little couch grass shoots, I wonder what my plan would do for them. Will improving the soil just mean the baby couch grass shoots will be encouraged to take a firm hold?

Would it be better just to put plastic or some other cover over the ground to try to kill off any couch shoots? And if so, how long would I need to leave it there?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: creating an asparagus bed from an ex-couch grass site
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:47 »
Hi Anthea

Congrats on getting the whole plot dug!

It is normal at this stage of cultivation for the weeds to be making another bid for plot domination.  I think covering with plastic would help.  I would keep it down until next March/April.

For your asparagus and strawberry beds, I suggest that you go over again with a fork or spade, so that you can pick out the bits of root that you missed the first time around.  The soil in those areas will need to be enriched - a green manure would be a good idea.

Hope that helps a bit.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:58:08 »
You could also put a nice thick layer of compost/manure over your areas for strawberries and asparagus, cover with black plastic and let the worms do the work for you until next year. It will keep it weed free until you need it, and any bits of couch you missed will be really weakened as well. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:03:44 »
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm aware that if I just cover with plastic now, there won't be much time for soil improvement before the early spring deadline for getting in the asparagus. I'd better start looking out for manure right away!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 20:16:12 »
I spent ages trying to post on this thread last night, and it wouldn't work. You do need to get every trace of couch out before you plant asparagus or any long-term perennial. That being said, once you've got the majority out, it's not that hard to deal with, it just needs patience. Wait till it shows, get a trowel. and gently lift the end of the root. Keep hold of it, and carefully dig the rest out. Repeat as necessary.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 17:04:09 »
But leave it about 18 months to be sure... and watch for creep from neighbouring areas.. I planted an asparagus bed but while I was ill the couch got in and I had to scrap it...
 :-[

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 17:13:24 »
I haven't tried it (yet!) but apparently as it's a maritime plant you can't water it with a salt solution that will kill the weeds but not the asparagus. The only problem is I don't know how much salt you can use which is why i haven't tried it.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 17:21:40 »
Found this but note who did the study!

http://www.saltinstitute.org/asparagus.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal