Author Topic: Can you eat runner bean seeds?  (Read 30357 times)

MattD

• Quarter Acre
Can you eat runner bean seeds?
« on: September 02, 2007, 19:47:50 »
Hi folks,

As usual I'm not keeping up with picking on the runners and I'm getting those large tough ones which won't go through the slicer.

Does anyone know if I can take the seeds out of the pods and cook and eat them as if they were a more fashionable bean like borlotti?

I just want to be sure it's not going to kill anyone.

Matt

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Can you eat runner bean seeds?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 20:03:46 »
I would have thought so,especially if they are properly cooked.

They are what we call kidney beans arent they?........well at least I think so.

Why is there never a chef around when you need one  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 21:05:08 »
yes you can do that, they're fine. :)

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 21:07:11 »
I use them just like any other drying bean, just cooked forever and a day.  They have a lovely nutty flavour, but do turn the water purple-ish

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 21:36:36 »
I do this every year as a matter of course - runners, haricots - anything really, mainly because I find the texture of frozen whole beans such a disappointment. I leave them on the plant till they get to be the size I want, then either dry or freeze them. Those from the freezer cook in 15-20 minutes.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 21:54:24 »
Was going to say yes but they take some chewing!!!
 ;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 23:34:18 »
I would have thought so,especially if they are properly cooked.

They are what we call kidney beans arent they?........well at least I think so.

Why is there never a chef around when you need one  ;D

I am not actually a chef at the moment but I do have a diploma in professional cookery if that counts.

Kidney beans are different from Runner beans. Kidney beans P. vulgaris - has a dark red skin. Sometimes called Chilli beans. The raw beans must be boiled for ten minutes before they are edible. The boiling degrades a toxic compound which otherwise causes severe gastric upset. Runner beans P. coccineus - usually only the seeds are eaten more often than not in the form of immature seedpods.

However virtually the whole plant is actually edible here is a breakdown of how each part is used:

Immature seedpods - raw or cooked. They have a pleasant mild flavour and are widely used as a vegetable in many areas of the world. They can be added to salads, cooked as a vegetable or added to soups, stews etc...

The immature seed is used like shelled beans as a vegetable.

The protein-rich mature seeds can be dried and stored for future use. They need to be thoroughly cooked before being eaten in order to degrade a toxic compound which otherwise causes mild gastric upset. They are soaked for 12 hours prior to use and are eaten boiled or added to soups etc. The seed can also be ground into a powder and added to cereal flours for making protein-enriched bread etc...

Flowers - raw. A bean-like taste.

Young leaves - cooked and used as a potherb.

Root - cooked. Rich in starch

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:47:29 »
Ours have always just gone in with the sliced pods.

Still here!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 20:29:57 »
Baccy Man that was very informative. Thank you. While we're here, do you know whether the toxic compound is formed by the maturation process or by drying?

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:31:58 »
Maturation but it's not that bad with runner beans you just get an upset stomach if you eat too many without soaking them first. There is usally a big difference between how you should treat foods & what you can get away with.

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 13:33:27 »
Having picked over 20 pounds of runner beans this summer,we are now all beaned out, even had to buy a second freezer! 
As I now cannot face picking another runner bean I wanted to save the seeds for casseroles, etc later in the year and I remembered this thread. My question is: do I leave them to dry on the plant the same as borlotti beans or pick them and leave the seeds somewhere to dry out? :)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 01:02:17 »
It doesn't seem to matter that much. I think the preference is to leave them on the plant but in the past, due to wind damage or impending frost, I've pulled them off and dried them somewhere else. Couldn't tell the difference.

Geoff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal