Author Topic: Sweetcorn - to trim or not to trim....  (Read 2162 times)

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
Sweetcorn - to trim or not to trim....
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:39:12 »
That is the question! I've got sideshoots coming from the roots on my sweetcorn (currently corn is about 2' tall) should these be removed and let the energy go into the main stem or should i leave them alone?????? ???

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Re:Sweetcorn - to trim or not to trim....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:51:33 »
Until someone who knows what they are on about comes along then let me impart my ickle bit of knowledge to you.

Our sweetcorn seemed to have side shoots but these were in fact part of the root system as I am led to believe they have quite shallow roots.

We kind of earthed them up a bit to help with their stability and keep the roots covered.

We did this about 2 weeks ago and they are thriving again and really starting to grow out as well as up.

Take care

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:58:18 »
Thanks again Les, stability is not a problem - these are just like main shoots growing out from the base of the plant and not root related as far as i can see. Think though as you say best just earth them up and leave them to it!!!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:04:13 »
Sweetcorn can grow roots up the stem, like tomato plants, which is why it is helpful to earth them up. Which way is the shoot growing?
gone to pot :D

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:16:38 »
They are growing at 45 degrees upwards from the root if you  see what i mean!!

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 10:17:31 »
Most varieties of Zea Mais will "tiller" like this - it's actually quite desirable. Earth the plants up, and let the side shoots grow on, and you'll get a second crop - even if the cobs don't get to much of a size.
Sumer is a coming in....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 12:14:09 »
Is that so?? I would have said 'don't waste the effort of the parent plant' - we learn every day!! = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 17:12:15 »
This thing about earthing up is interesting,I started doing it three years ago after getting the tip on GQT-it makes quite a difference.

Stephan.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 20:55:32 »
Funny this cos I was just reading up about corn today, and it said "Repeated tests on removing side suckers have shown that they actually help production, rather than sapping the strength as was once thought." Have never removed mine, and shall keep it that way! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 21:10:53 »
Hi JerryB, my corn seems to be at the same stage (maybe a bit taller) as yours with side shoots (look like minis of the aprent) and as the plants themselves appear very strong and healthy I am leaving them alone, have heard they may be capable of producing corn also.  I have previously earthed up the bases as the plants themselves grew bigger and (fingers crossed again) all seems to be fine.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal