Author Topic: apple tree problem  (Read 1680 times)

claire

• Not So New ...
apple tree problem
« on: June 21, 2004, 22:19:50 »
we have an apple tree (came with the placewhen we got it two years ago) - there appear to be two varieties grafted on to the one rootstock (which appears to be a small one, thank goodness given the space its in!)

This year, one half didn't flower at all, so it won't produce any fruit, and the other half doesn't have as much fruit developing as it has in the past couple of years; both halves are producing leaves that are going an odd dark green colour and curling in on themselves. ???

Has anyone any ideas?

This was the first year I'd actually fed it as well!  

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:apple tree problem
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 21:33:31 »
Hi Claire, my apple trees aren't producing much fruit this year either. I think a lot depends on the weather conditions at the time of pollination. This year we had some heavy rain which damaged a lot of the blossoms. Late frosts can also cause a problem. Also if your tree has two varieties grafted onto it that may mean that each variety polinates the other, if the one didn't flower then perhaps there was not an adequate polinator for the one that did flower, hence low production.

You need to keep your trees well fed thoughout the growing season otherwise they can become starved and not produce well the following season. I scatter a couple of handfuls of fish, blood and bone meal every few weeks around the base of my fruit trees throughout the growing season i.e. about March through to end of October.

One of my apple trees has the curling leaf thing that you talk about but only affecting a small percentage of the leaves. I have not been able to find out what causes it but that doesn't seem to affect the apples, last year I had a bumper crop. Provided it doesn't get worse and it doesn't affect the production of apples I am inclined to leave it, I prefer not to use "chemicals" if I can help it.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

claire

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 23:14:56 »
thanks!  I shall feed it more and hope it's better next year (I shall also be feeding the grass, however, it's planted in the lawn!!)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 18:31:08 »
Gently uncurl one of the leaves, the most likely explanation is that there are aphids sucking away at the spine of the leaf. As for non flowering, there are as many reasons why a tree does not flower as there are trees. If the plant is still young, the grass should not be closer to the trunk than say a metre. Not easy if you have a small lawn. Agree with J. feed the tree this Summer with a general type fertiliser and in Spring with Tonk's Rose Formula.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal