Author Topic: Lychnis Coronaria  (Read 4085 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Lychnis Coronaria
« on: June 21, 2004, 22:08:55 »
(or red campion).

Who else grows this wonderfull perennial?

It has to be now one of my favorites. I grew loads from seed last year and have flowered for the first time this june. I have (so far) white and deep pink (magenta i think) in flower. Looks great mixed together or with pink hardy gerainiums.

Evergreen too at least in my garden

Brilliant! :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Lychnis Coronaria
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:57:56 »
I don't, but it's one of the ones I've got my eye on. hint hint - do you have any spare seeds or does it set seeds?
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 16:55:06 »
I don't, but it's one of the ones I've got my eye on. hint hint - do you have any spare seeds or does it set seeds?

OOh might have some seeds left over Aqui, I'll have a look for you. Not sure yet if it sets true seed or not as it has only just started flowering. I have plenty of plants (went a bit overboard to be honest) so we'll think about a swap. What have you got spare to tempt me with  ;)

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 20:25:04 »
 I agree one of my favourites......have you seen the variety "occulata"...white with pink eye in the centre....yummy!
Happy gardening, Robin x

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 22:23:15 »
I agree one of my favourites......have you seen the variety "occulata"...white with pink eye in the centre....yummy!

No, i havent, sounds very nice though. Packet was a mixture of Pink, white, red, and a pink and white bicolour, but only the pink and white have grown/flowered. Cant decide which of these is my favorite, as they both look fantastic.  :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:29:03 »
Sorry Richard - I meant to make a list of all my leftovers yesterday, but then didn't feel like getting blown to bits on the way out to the garden. I will try to write it tonight.
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:02:52 »
This is the first year i have grown these. Does anyone have any cultivation advice for these plants? Particularly post-flowering.

Thanks

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 13:39:21 »
hi  :)
i have the pink and white versions of this plant. When I get round to planting them they will be nestling under rosa glauca. From my experience (limited!) and looking at the grey, felty, furry leaves, I'd say sun and a well drained soil. Mine seem to be doing ok so far on 'neglect'! :)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 16:12:39 »
Hi all,

I've lots of big clumps of LC dotted round the garden, some with hardy Geraniums, some with Anaphalis (Pearl Everlasting) and some with Stachys (Lamb's Ears). Love tthe silvery furry foliage which always looks great even when flowering is finished.

Got my first lot three years ago and have divided from there so this is what I do:

1) Deadhead regularly
2) Cut the flowering stalks right back once they have finished flowering.
3) If you want to put some in another area, divide the clumps in the autumn.

It is pretty tough stuff, so you can't go desperately wrong, and keeping it tidy does reap rewards. And it will self seed happily. It likes any soil apart from really wet, and does best in full sun.

I've probably got some seed (deep red flowers) if anyone needs some. Would love to swap for some pink!

Cheers, CL  ;)

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 16:59:11 »
I've got some of the magenta variety and I think it's terrific. It's a fantastically evil shade that really lights up a group of silver (i've got it with artemisias, eryngiums and a purple cut leaf elder) and shouts at you across the garden :). The white and 'pink-eye' sound good though - I must look out for them.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 17:27:47 »
Yup, tough as old boots and in my garden, seeds itself all over.  Complaining, me, nope!  I just almost tear lumps off and move it around the garden as I want it.  

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 18:29:08 »
Thanks all for replies  :)

I have loads of this grown from seed, red white and a white with a pink blotch in the centre.The white one is my fave. What i realy wanted whas advice on what to do with them now i suppose, as they are starting to look a bit shabby.

When you say dead heading i suppose this means individual flowers. I ask because I have cut  some of the plants back by about a third ( to a leaf node) in the hope of a second flush. Have I done wrong?

A tip in return - dont underestimate the height of them. Mine have grown taller than i expected (well over 1m). Not a big deal except i could ahve planted them further back in the border had I known ( ::)).

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 21:57:04 »
Richard IMHO you've done right. I've cut some of mine right down to the ground )ones that were going a bit discoloured and dried out), but yes, cut as you have done. Any seed from your white ones? I'd be interested....CLx
PS Have already got self seeders - got to move a couple that have landed in a pot!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 17:47:31 »
I've now cut back/deadheaded most of my lychnis. I have reduced growth by about a third for the two main clumps. I hope now for a bit of regrowth and a second flush. Even if not the plants behind the lychnis, just coming into flower can now be seen properly, so it was worth doing from that respect.

They certainly do seed. everytime i  cut away a flower stem I got a gentle shower of seed (sorry CL i lost most of it on the ground  :() I am now anticipating a rash of lychnis seedlings at some stage!  ::)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 22:45:53 »
Richard they will! And the beauty of it is, you can then move them around where you like. Have fun with them....CL  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal