Author Topic: Harvesting and eating squash/pumpkins  (Read 731 times)

finchy

• Not So New ...
Harvesting and eating squash/pumpkins
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:34:43 »
A few quezzies:

1. Can you eat the skins on a butternut or squash in general? Only reason I ask is that I have a lot of butternuts that are no bigger than the palm of my hand. Scoop out seeds (I assume they will have some even at this size?!?) and cut skin off and you have nothing left!

2. The large butternuts can store, but do I harvest them when the vine dies off?

3. Would you eat the flesh of small (say 8" diameter) Hundredweight pumpkins?

4. Is Spagetti Squash a summer or winter jobbie?

5. Is the fingernail test when the fruit does not retain the indentation?

6. Do I harvest the Spagetti Squash once I do the fingernail test and it passes or wait until the leaves die off?

Cheers.
To plant today is to not plant tomorrow!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Harvesting and eating squash/pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:52:51 »
Hi Finchy.

Skins, you can eat them ..if you can eat them, at first I do and as they get harder I don't. Often I cook the slices with the skins on then take the flesh off the skin as I eat it, rather like eating amelon, that way you don't waste anything as you would with peeling first.

Leave them on the vime until it dies off if you can, pull them if you get a frost though, they can get nourishment even from a dying vine, Ideally left  on the ground they will cure. I wll add apicture at the end showing a field waiting to be harvested and you will see the vines have gone.

Small pumpkins, yes you can eat the small ones, even if tiny , but bear in mind most pumpkins don,t have the same flavour  as the squash. Hundrecweight is one I would grow for decoration not for eating, I grow others for food, but you can definately eat them,they just won't be as sweet.

Spaghetti is a winter, but it doesn't store as well as some of the others, you should get 3 months from it though without a problem.

Once it passes the fingernail test it will store, but bear in mind that the skins get harder in storage so you may get afew that do leave an indentation a bit bat first, just keep an eye on them and use them first.

When you pick them. leave a good length of stalk on them, this ensures there is no break near the top and they store better,but don't use it as a handle.

Wipe them down with a very mild solution of bleach in water, this will kill off any mildew they may have picked up from the dying vines.Dry them thoroughy and store not touching each other in a cool but frostfree place, not on aconcrete floor.Mine are stored on slatted racks.

Check them regularly while in store , if you find one with a soft spot, cut that part out and use the rest straight away.

The very small ones, I cook whole,usually baked in the oven or steamed and  I usually eat the lot, skin and seeds, or halve them , scoop out the seeds if you wish, small dollop of butter and microwave.

Hope this helps.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

finchy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 11:07:37 »
Thanks Jeanine.

Very informative and great advice.

You sure are the oracle on all things 'squashy'!
To plant today is to not plant tomorrow!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 21:28:09 »
Deep fried squash skins and peelings are very good. Even the hard winter ones come out a bit like pork scratchings. Probably nutritionally questionable but if waste avoidance is your thing, this is one way to go.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal