Author Topic: Transporting water - advice appreciated!  (Read 1048 times)

red_skydiver

• Not So New ...
  • Reading, Berkshire
Transporting water - advice appreciated!
« on: August 30, 2007, 16:26:45 »
The water supply on my allotment is via a manually operated pump rather than a tap.  It is only a short walk from one end of my plot but from the other end it is a bit of a trek.  We are not allowed to use hosepipes on site.  I have only recently acquired my allotment and envisage many hours next summer spent carrying heavy cans of water around in the heat.   Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for transporting water from the front of my plot to the back, or even better how to transfer it around my plot without having to carry it?  I thought about digging a series of trenches around my beds which would allow me to pour the water in at one end allowing it to flow through the whole site... but then thought most of it would be wasted and wouldn't get to where it was actually needed.  I thought pipes or guttering laid down instead of trenches would conserve it better and allow it to flow thereby saving my legs and back but how to get it to the base of the plants??????  Has anyone tried anything like this?  Any ideas.... or should I do it the old fashioned way and stop whining?  ;D

ACE

• Hectare

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Transporting water - advice appreciated!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 17:49:55 »
What a brilliant invention.

I was going to say: our council has recently gone in for recycling. We rang up and asked them not to give us a wheely bin for garden waste because we make our own compost. But they did. I am sure someone on this site uses their superfluous wheely bin to transport water around their plot. You could either use a syphon to deliver water directly to a plant (surely you would be allowed a short length of hose working on gravity?) or a dipper.

We have no water at all, and I use all sorts of containers that I fill at home and drive up to the site every now and then, all at once, and use it sparingly before taking them all home (by bicycle) to start again.

emmak

• Not So New ...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 17:57:49 by emmak »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Transporting water - advice appreciated!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 18:02:46 »
Reminds me of the days when we used to take ours up 1/4 mile unmade track, in a plastic (rubber?) domestic storage tank, in the back of a Series1 Landrover.

Just try it - without spilling it!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal